Sponsored by:

OT: License Plate Blurring

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking OT: License Plate Blurring

Am wondering why some people blur their license plate when posting pics of their car in a public forum. Can a potential thief locate the address the car is registered at with a licence plate?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Seems to come up often now. Good discussion here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8959...se-plates.html
Old 05-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On a public road about a dozen will see your plate while you're going for your morning coffee run and not memorize your plates unless its personalized and it really stands out.

On a public internet forum, thousands (it if not more) will see your plates and are engraved in your pictures. There are nosey people all over open forums. Some people do it out of caution like myself.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I've never bothered. Don't care in the slightest and if someone wanted to be a sleuth about it and find out about me well I'm not a secret agent (or I'd have more hot chicks) so I don't care.

I would say people who are that concerned with concealing their identities are either secret agents or self important
Old 05-04-2016, 07:06 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 288 Posts

Some of us have had their identity stolen and take a few more precautions than others. I am not speaking to simple credit card theft (I think I am at about 10 times on that).
Old 05-04-2016, 07:50 PM
vsomoza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should start doing that to my pics then.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Sometimes it can get too far. Here's BBC's digital blurring.....of a crow. Nice.

Name:  digital%20blurring_zpstc5inmrv.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  82.3 KB
Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

The flip side argument is that lots of people post pictures and list mods they have done to the car. Talk about their track day experiences. Have you declared them all to your insurance company?

I used to be a biker in the UK, one magazine ran a track day (Performance Bikes track day at Cadwell Park) and ran an article of pictures from the day - including pictures of a bike that crashed.

That would have been fine but the insurance adjuster was reading the magazine at lunchtime and the plate seemed familiar....turns out he had the claim on his desk where the owner "accidentally" ran off the road a few miles away from the track.........

Oops!
Old 05-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I was scared once when I googled my licence plate number and found a link to an automotive forum where I had s picture of the car. There is PC software than can find licence plate information from photos so after that issue I always blur the licence plate.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

well said, my thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by Supermode
On a public road about a dozen will see your plate while you're going for your morning coffee run and not memorize your plates unless its personalized and it really stands out.

On a public internet forum, thousands (it if not more) will see your plates and are engraved in your pictures. There are nosey people all over open forums. Some people do it out of caution like myself.
Originally Posted by CAVU
Some of us have had their identity stolen and take a few more precautions than others. I am not speaking to simple credit card theft (I think I am at about 10 times on that).

WOW.

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I was scared once when I googled my licence plate number and found a link to an automotive forum where I had s picture of the car. There is PC software than can find licence plate information from photos so after that issue I always blur the licence plate.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermode

This, I blurred mine out for all the crazy weirdos out there that will google to see where you live, try to find your FB, see what else you drive, who you are with, etc. You never know if that weirdo shows up inside your house waiting for you to come home. I am not worry about the people on car forums, it's the ones outside of it. I google my car and I see my photos so I am out there.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:28 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All good and fair points.

As a test, I walked into a MTO (DMV) office and asked for the address related to a license plate...they told me to bugger off.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I plan to photoshop other people's license plates on to my photos - those from other countries should be fun - blurry looks bad.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:40 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
well said, my thoughts exactly.
Wait, I just saw your license plate on another thread and was going to ask you what i meant!! LOL.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its not only about what one can do now, but might do in the future. This data lives forever, beyond our control, so I'm gonna restrict access to information you really don't need to know.

Quick Reply: OT: License Plate Blurring