Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Unboxing" My New Farnbacher Loles 997.1S X51!! (with pics and video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:39 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thought this car was well bought and kick *** mods.... updates?

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
Thanks! I appreciate the offer, and I probably will contact you soon. That said...

THE CAR HAS A CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH!!!

Mechanical (Goldcrest Motorsports)
-Overall: the car is super solid, and all aftermarket mods were done well/appropriately. Conclusion: BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!!!!
-FBL/ECU: One of the owners of Goldcrest, Steve Cosgrove, used to work in FBL's race shop. He confirmed that all the work done by FBL was legit including factory crate X51 motor, likely with upgraded IMS (since it was a 2007), and the ECU is likely optimized for the car. Conclusion: no point in switching to Softronic or worrying about IMS/RMS issues
-Brakes: 380mm PCCB. Conclusion: as soon as PFC comes out with with their next gen rotors (later this summer), they'll be a direct bolt-on along with PFC 08's, Goodridge lines, and SRF (at which point the OEM ceramics will be for sale!)
-Exhaust: X51 Headers, OEM cats, Fabspeed cans, OEM tips. And my wife has officially forbidden me from making it any louder therefore 200 cell cats are out of the question so all engine mods are effectively done. Conclusion: consider an ECU re-flash (unlikely)...so now time for dyno?!
-Suspension: Damptronics, otherwise stock. They didn't know much about the TPC DSC, although I didn't speak to Steve about this specifically. It's still very high on my mod list thanks to Petza and other forum reviews
-3rd Radiator: Absent. Conclusion: will watch temps at the track and add this later if needed
-Harness System: Brey Krauss bar and Schroth harness are an excellent combo for DD/track car...but, according to Schroth, all harnesses require race seat (with harness pass-throughs) to be optimally functional. I love the Adaptive Sport Seats so doubt I'll end up going this way, although it is in the back of my mind if it begins to migrate away from the DD end of the spectrum. I could theoretically use the (4-point) Profi ASM with the OEM seat and BK bar, and if I combined it with their new SHR "Hans-esque" device with winglets, that'd keep the straps from migrating off my shoulders...but again, this is suboptimal and not officially recommended.
-Rear Wiper Delete: No advice except replace rear window ($$$), live with it, or come up with some other creative solution
-Track alignment/studs/spacers: Not enough to time to address this today. Will do it next time along with brake work

Paint (Bavarian Body Works)
-Paint is in great shape. Front bumper and hood has been repainted at some point which is fine by me. Plan to DA the whole car and add Rennline GT3 Smile Vent Kit in preparation for...

Clear Bra (Atlanta Protective Films)
-Plan to apply Xpel Ultimate on the front bumper, headlights, hood, front fenders, mirrors, A-pillars, and both doors. This should be solid protection against funk on the track and toddler mishaps in the garage.

So, all-in-all, it was a VERY productive day, and I feel much better about the whole project. I can now begin to appreciate the car for the amazing piece of precision German engineering that it is. BTW, the steering feel/feedback on this car is unlike anything I've ever driven. Amazing...

And thanks to all you guys for your feedback and insight. My overarching goal with this car was to do it right from the beginning, and I finally feel like I'm on the appropriate trajectory. Cheers!
Old 08-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, it breaks my heart to say this...but...

Short version: THE CAR IS FOR SALE. Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested in buying it.

Longer version: We moved from Atlanta to Indianapolis a little over two years ago (about a year after I bought my beloved 997 X51). Very soon after moving up here, I discovered that the roads are complete **** and no place for a car like that 911. They're littered with potholes, everyone drives slow as hell (literally under the speed limit), and almost all my driving is on 35mph city streets so I can't even open it up on the highway very often. I've put less than 2000 miles/year on the car since moving up here in the summer of 2017 b/c I use my DD (a 335i xDrive) almost exclusively. Why drive the 335 all the time, you might ask? Here's why: I've blown out not one but two tires on potholes on these ****ing roads...one wheel was bent beyond repair and one wheel was cracked. Thank God both of them were on the 335 and not my 911. Plus I don't like exposing the 911 to the crap weather up here from October through April. While it's been annoying to have such an awesome car quickly become a garage queen that stays plugged into a charger all the time, I can't even keep it anymore if I wanted to b/c we just moved into a new house with a smaller garage so I no longer have the space for it.

FML

PM me if you know of a good home for it. The car is largely unchanged from when I bought it: X51 engine, drivetrain, Damptronic suspension, and PCCBs all remain untouched (I have changed pads, but they were replaced with OEM PCCB pads to match the OEM PCCB rotors). No real mechanical mods...just meticulous maintenance and some cosmetic and little stuff like Xpel clear bra, LED fogs and tails, studs/spacers, GT3 front grille, Dension blue tooth, Odyssey lightweight battery, etc.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:19 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I feel your pain! I live in the Milwaukee area and know exactly what you are going through. I also have a 335i xDrive for daily driving. I had a Mini, but the streets destroyed the suspension. It destroyed suspension, wheels and tires of every daily driver I've had for many years. So, my 911 became a garage queen. After driving it 2600 miles in 1 1/2 years I sold it. But, I'm not giving up. When my contract is up (next April) and I finally retire, I'll be looking for a newer 911 with a warranty.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Bummer about selling the car. Living in Indy can give you the blues.. lived there 28 years. When I go back I do notice how slow people are driving. And I do remember how bad the potholes could be.. the cost of living is damn good though. Not sure if it's worth the trade-offs. Well good luck either way.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 AM
snosk8luke
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow, That's nice!! I can't even imagine what all that cost for the upgrade list.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's official. I just posted an ad for it in the classifieds. Hopefully it finds a good home.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1158878
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I just bought the car from Patrick sight unseen and drove it home. Really happy with it! I flew out with my also car-obsessed three year old and we drove it home to Utah together last weekend. Here he is in his booster seat grinning out the window. I had it detailed today and it looks great! Love the X51 motor, good sound, good suspension, the adaptive seats and leather interior are really nice... what a great car. Hoping to enjoy it for a long time!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
I just bought the car from Patrick sight unseen and drove it home. Really happy with it! I flew out with my also car-obsessed three year old and we drove it home to Utah together last weekend. Here he is in his booster seat grinning out the window. I had it detailed today and it looks great! Love the X51 motor, good sound, good suspension, the adaptive seats and leather interior are really nice... what a great car. Hoping to enjoy it for a long time!

I

Beautiful. You got yourself a real winner there. Keep the kids involved so they don't end up wanting Priuses and Teslas.

Quick Reply: "Unboxing" My New Farnbacher Loles 997.1S X51!! (with pics and video)