Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a turbo engine fit in a C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:40 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Will a turbo engine fit in a C4S?

Exploring options to fix my 997.1 c4s which needs a rebuild and Turbodan mentioned there is a turbo engine for sale. Am curious if this is a real option. I suspect not but worth asking

Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 02:38 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

It may *fit* in the engine compartment of a widebody 997, but as they say, "the devils in the details.."

A few things off the top of my head..

Turbo ECU is different and would have to be retrofitted..
Trubos have 3 rads up front and would need to be fitted this way.. you may be able to get away with a C4S front bumper..
Body in white is most likely different, so you would have to add the mounting posts for the intercoolers and make holes for the intercooler hoses to pass into the engine compartment.
You’d need a turbo (or equivalent) rear bumper to support the turbo exhaust..
You’d need a new exhaust as the classified one doesn’t seem to include it.
Turbo (or equivalent) decklid so as to provide the proper airflow to the turbo airbox.

Not sure if your car is 6MT or tip, but I’m sure you’d need a turbo tranny to handle the motor’s power.
I bet getting all the systems to play nice (PASM, PSM, etc. etc ) would not be easy.
Etc. etc. etc.

Would be quite a project, I’d say..
Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Vern1, sorry to hear about your scoring issue. I didn't post there because the thread was like reading a suspense novel, and somewhat dreaded turning the page....I have the same car 06 C4S, and in Vancouver. While not so extreme in temp as Toronto, still "northern" right?

Knock on wood, given your position, I'd view a couple of possibilities if keeping the car - go factory stock replacement all the way, or build a frankenstein monster of a car (tasteful, of course). The turbo option would certainly be interesting. Keep us up to date on your latest developments.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Saabin covered at least a good chunk of the issues - doubt it's worth it trying to do the retrofit and ending up with something less than optimal. The best way to go is to have Jake at FSI build you a bulletproof 4.0. It will be more durable, run better, etc and likely not cost you much if any more than the $16k turbo engine plus all the parts and labor to try and make that work - actually the FSI motor should be thousands less. Other have also looked at trying to do a GT3 motor and I don't think the consensus was that it would be any easier.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see if the 996 renegade ls swap could be applied to a 997 with some modification...

And perhaps turbo'D, because if your going Frankenstein why not go full Frankenstein
Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mpath
Vern1, sorry to hear about your scoring issue. I didn't post there because the thread was like reading a suspense novel, and somewhat dreaded turning the page....I have the same car 06 C4S, and in Vancouver. While not so extreme in temp as Toronto, still "northern" right?

Knock on wood, given your position, I'd view a couple of possibilities if keeping the car - go factory stock replacement all the way, or build a frankenstein monster of a car (tasteful, of course). The turbo option would certainly be interesting. Keep us up to date on your latest developments.
Northern but maybe not northern enough - which may be good for you

I will not go stock as it just exposes me to all the same issues all over again. Looking at either re-sleeved engine with and upgraded IMS or this plus bored to 4L. Don't think that qualifies as Frankenstein....

Originally Posted by Petza914
Saabin covered at least a good chunk of the issues - doubt it's worth it trying to do the retrofit and ending up with something less than optimal. The best way to go is to have Jake at FSI build you a bulletproof 4.0. It will be more durable, run better, etc and likely not cost you much if any more than the $16k turbo engine plus all the parts and labor to try and make that work - actually the FSI motor should be thousands less. Other have also looked at trying to do a GT3 motor and I don't think the consensus was that it would be any easier.
Jake may be the best way but pretty sure I don't want to wait 14 months to get it done....

Quick Reply: Will a turbo engine fit in a C4S?