Sponsored by:

Removed Rear Bumperettes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:42 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
the bumper has a space to accommodate most of the worlds long plates, for a country like usa with rectangular plates it fills the extra space with bumperetts, instead of making 2 different bumpers. So if you happen to like the looks of it w/out its your opinion
I believe the bumperettes are a NA requirement for bumper impact for the DOT. I just posted the photo to show you guys what it looks like and to be helpful. Snotty bs comments are unnecessary and juvenile. ******** on every forum I see.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:43 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Much more better (two thumbs up here). How do you like your PSE?
Thanks. I like the PSE but not as aggressive sounding as expected. Probably could have done a less expensive route but wanted OEM.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks so much better without them, they're a stupid NA requirement.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myw
sounds strange but i agree; got used to them darned things.
If you have to get used to them, means u didn't like the look to begin with right?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM
Strelok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
I believe the bumperettes are a NA requirement for bumper impact for the DOT. I just posted the photo to show you guys what it looks like and to be helpful. Snotty bs comments are unnecessary and juvenile. ******** on every forum I see.
How the hell did you manage to take offense to that? He literally just clarified why the bumperettes are there then stated it's a subjective matter...
Old 04-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks great. A few years back, the senior partner had to get a new rear bumper on his 986 Boxter S. I suggested going without the bumperettes, so he did. I think the new bumper skin came without the bumperettes holes, ie there is one worldwide bumper skin, and if you have bumperettes, then the bumperettes holes are punched out. Much nicer look, probably the way Porsches are meant to look. But thank goodness the bumperettes aren't a complete botch job from the factory - if you look at some early McLaren F1s and Lambo Diablos, they had to get really ugly for North American compliance.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:19 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Looks great. A few years back, the senior partner had to get a new rear bumper on his 986 Boxter S. I suggested going without the bumperettes, so he did. I think the new bumper skin came without the bumperettes holes, ie there is one worldwide bumper skin, and if you have bumperettes, then the bumperettes holes are punched out. Much nicer look, probably the way Porsches are meant to look. But thank goodness the bumperettes aren't a complete botch job from the factory - if you look at some early McLaren F1s and Lambo Diablos, they had to get really ugly for North American compliance.
The 997's are pretty well integrated. I wouldn't have bothered but the bumper cover was off anyway. On my 993 they were truly horrible looking and an obvious afterthought.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Looks very nice and clean. I don't have them on either of my 997s either.

RUF RGT Rear Bumper

Vorsteiner Rear Bumper

Our Exhausts are probably going to take the hit now on a rear end bump, but that will be their insurance company replacing them.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

Our Exhausts are probably going to take the hit now on a rear end bump, but that will be their insurance company replacing them.

Have you though about that the insurance company may decline the charge due to removal of safety equipment?

And it will not be just exhausts... headers and engine heads possibly.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks very nice and clean. I don't have them on either of my 997s either.

RUF RGT Rear Bumper

Vorsteiner Rear Bumper

Petza,

Uh....wow!! Fantastic looking cars - very impressive. I agree - if I get wacked from behind its the insurance company's problem.

I attached a photo of the 993 - no bumperettes.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2016, 03:35 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Have you though about that the insurance company may decline the charge due to removal of safety equipment?

You must be an attorney or a lawyer to come up with that one.....

Do you really think those two bumperettes provide ANY real protection and could possibly help prevent engine damage if you're hit from the rear hard enough?

And I'd love to see the letter from my insurance company telling me that their exhaustive investigation revealed the removal of critical "safety equipment". What insurance company do you deal with that is staffed by these geniuses? I'm sure they'd be able to explain how I'd be unscathed by the 20 mph hit by the SUV if only two little plastic bumperettes were in place.

Seriously dude?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:14 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must be an attorney or a lawyer to come up with that one..... Do you really think those two bumperettes provide ANY real protection and could possibly help prevent engine damage if you're hit from the rear hard enough? And I'd love to see the letter from my insurance company telling me that their exhaustive investigation revealed the removal of critical "safety equipment". What insurance company do you deal with that is staffed by these geniuses? I'm sure they'd be able to explain how I'd be unscathed by the 20 mph hit by the SUV if only two little plastic bumperettes were in place. Seriously dude?
Either these people have too much time on their hands or they have to say something to post and prop up the post numbers!!!
Old 04-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias

Not really. Since mine is a RUF car and they don't make bumpers with warts, not much of an option there. Seems to me the driver in the back in a rear end collision is always at fault, unless he was pushed by the guy behind him, then it's that guy who's on the hook for both cars, and I doubt an insurance adjuster is going to look at the mangled rear end and ask me where the bumper warts are. If one of them knows Porsches well enough to recognize that, then he's going to also want to help me get mine fixed and I have a friend who owns a collision repair shop and will help me out. If none of that works, oh well, I'll be buying some new parts and probably doing some sort of upgrade, if I can think of anything left to do.

I'm my case, it'll be the least of my concerns as I have the last RUF RGT bumper ever manufactured and had to convince them to sell it to me. It was 1 spare they left sitting on a shelf in case one of their customers ever needed a replacement. After 3 years I was able to talk them into putting something else on the shelf in its place, but there aren't any more.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Petza,

Uh....wow!! Fantastic looking cars - very impressive. I agree - if I get wacked from behind its the insurance company's problem.

I attached a photo of the 993 - no bumperettes.
Nice! I love 993s. Wish the values hadn't gone crazy as someday I'd like to add a 993 Turbo to the collection, but maybe by the time I've built my 5-car garage they will have returned to more normal #s. I hate to see these cool cars get so valuable that they just sit in garages since they're so much more fun to drive.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

You must be an attorney or a lawyer to come up with that one.....

Do you really think those two bumperettes provide ANY real protection and could possibly help prevent engine damage if you're hit from the rear hard enough?

And I'd love to see the letter from my insurance company telling me that their exhaustive investigation revealed the removal of critical "safety equipment". What insurance company do you deal with that is staffed by these geniuses? I'm sure they'd be able to explain how I'd be unscathed by the 20 mph hit by the SUV if only two little plastic bumperettes were in place.

Seriously dude?
Don't mind him, he's just a cranky old fart.

Quick Reply: Removed Rear Bumperettes