Sponsored by:

Removed Rear Bumperettes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
You must be an attorney or a lawyer to come up with that one.....

Do you really think those two bumperettes provide ANY real protection and could possibly help prevent engine damage if you're hit from the rear hard enough?

And I'd love to see the letter from my insurance company telling me that their exhaustive investigation revealed the removal of critical "safety equipment". What insurance company do you deal with that is staffed by these geniuses? I'm sure they'd be able to explain how I'd be unscathed by the 20 mph hit by the SUV if only two little plastic bumperettes were in place.

Seriously dude?
No lawyer here, just an observer of society. I have no beef with anyone removing bumperettes and fully agree they do not do much. But have no doubt an astute insurance adjuster can spot that and cause problems. I have seen insurance coverage denials for less.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:26 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Nice! I love 993s. Wish the values hadn't gone crazy as someday I'd like to add a 993 Turbo to the collection, but maybe by the time I've built my 5-car garage they will have returned to more normal #s. I hate to see these cool cars get so valuable that they just sit in garages since they're so much more fun to drive.
Nothing against my C4S - it's an awesome piece of machinery - but I bought it to have a P car to drive as the 993 has become too valuable to drive much. I've owned the 993 for 15 years and enjoyed putting driving it for 25,000 miles. But now it's turned into a lovely garage queen.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

You must be an attorney or a lawyer to come up with that one.....

Do you really think those two bumperettes provide ANY real protection and could possibly help prevent engine damage if you're hit from the rear hard enough?

And I'd love to see the letter from my insurance company telling me that their exhaustive investigation revealed the removal of critical "safety equipment". What insurance company do you deal with that is staffed by these geniuses? I'm sure they'd be able to explain how I'd be unscathed by the 20 mph hit by the SUV if only two little plastic bumperettes were in place.

Seriously dude?

No need to get defensive against ADias, he's just making an observation and one I unfortunately agree with. In the case of an accident a sharp lawyer could point out the protection system on your car has been modified causing excessive damage to your car in the event someone rear-ends you.

Those bumperettes are typically referred to as "5mph bumpers" that are designed to protect the car from any damage due to a 5mph or less impact.
You could say: "How many accidents are 5mph or less...." but that is where things get complicated. Someone could argue after a low speed impact the damage to your bumper could have been avoided had the stock factory installed bumperettes been installed.

I have the bumperettes removed from one of my 928's and plan to remove them from another one in the near future. Just be aware of the possible consequences...........

No I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Like I said originally I just wanted to post a picture of a "de-bumperetted" car. I searched all over for a photo and couldn't find one. I thought it would be helpful to have a photo here on the 997 board so other RL folks could find it using a search.

As now we have a discussion of insurance claims and attorneys. Geez, give me a break.

God forbid I add a post about throwing out the Buick Century sounding standard horns and installing the ear-splitting 964 trumpet horns. I'm sure I'd hear from someone about noise pollution or scaring small children on the sidewalk.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Should come w/o bumperettes from factory, makes the car looks odd. Makes me cringe every time I see it on the 997, really ruins the rear end. Mine doesn't make them either.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

LOL

God forbid I add a post about throwing out the Buick Century sounding standard horns and installing the ear-splitting 964 trumpet horns. I'm sure I'd hear from someone about noise pollution or scaring small children on the sidewalk.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:13 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Should come w/o bumperettes from factory, makes the car looks odd. Makes me cringe every time I see it on the 997, really ruins the rear end. Mine doesn't make them either.
At least they are not as bad as the 5mph bumper added to the Countach back in the 80's for the US market.

Quick Reply: Removed Rear Bumperettes