Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 01:11 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Fantastic work. I've seen your car at Fuel fed a few times. Looks awesome, sounds fantastic.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:41 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Awesome thread. GTS is a nice car. I like that you don't have the centre lock wheels, that's nothing but pain. When is the 3rd radiator coming? I'm kind of surprised GTS doesn't come with it.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Fantastic work. I've seen your car at Fuel fed a few times. Looks awesome, sounds fantastic.
Thank you! I love Fuelfed! It flies under the radar which I like, but you still see 959s and SL500 Gullwings next to a Fiat 500 and E28 M5. And of course every walk of the 911.

Originally Posted by dbv1
Awesome thread. GTS is a nice car. I like that you don't have the centre lock wheels, that's nothing but pain. When is the 3rd radiator coming? I'm kind of surprised GTS doesn't come with it.
Thanks! My temps have been pretty hot but not critical and I've been on track when ambient was 90F.

I read center rad really helps the PDK cars more than the 6MTs. Maybe someday I'll spring for it but even my race shop said don't bother.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Here's a PB lap from this past weekend at Autobahn CC:

Old 10-13-2016, 06:58 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

This is a mod I wanted, until I spoke with a former race driver friend of mine (former IMSA winner) and very familiar with 911s. Said that that if I notice, under hard braking, the brake pedal will be even with the accel pedal, which is the ONLY time I should be rev matching. He said Porsche designed it that way on purpose and thats the way it should be, so to leave it alone.

After I drive more and more, I realize what he is talking about.You shouldn't have to rev match with slow braking (what are your thoughts?)

BTW, is there a way to fit your stock steering wheel in a 997.1? Thats the one I want.

Your car is awesome!

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Rennline Pedals Added
Many of you have this same problem. The throttle pedal isn't high enough while braking during street driving to blip on down shifts properly. So, I added Rennline pedals to counter that. I'm tall too so I have to do a roll/heal blip even on track and can't execute a proper heal blip with the legroom available in the 997. So the added pedal lift helps there too.

Last edited by rodH; 10-13-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:24 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Here's a PB lap from this past weekend at Autobahn CC:

https://youtu.be/sY0deYyZLkY
Looks like a ton of fun. How do your lap times compare to something like the 997.1 and 997.2 GT3 and the GT4?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:00 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
This is a mod I wanted, until I spoke with a former race driver friend of mine (former IMSA winner) and very familiar with 911s. Said that that if I notice, under hard braking, the brake pedal will be even with the accel pedal, which is the ONLY time I should be rev matching. He said Porsche designed it that way on purpose and thats the way it should be, so to leave it alone.

After I drive more and more, I realize what he is talking about.You shouldn't have to rev match with slow braking (what are your thoughts?)

BTW, is there a way to fit your stock steering wheel in a 997.1? Thats the one I want.

Your car is awesome!
Nothing personal to your friend but saying hard braking is the only time you should be rev matching is a ridiculous premise. From an engineers perspective, matching engine speed and transmission speed has nothing to do with rate of deceleration or acceleration outside of transmission speed rate of change in reference to wheel speed and gear selection. Ergo, It has nothing to with the brake system.

Porsche designed the brake and throttle pedals to be flush under maximum brake pedal depression so as to aid ease of throttle blipping just like you said. That doesn't mean it can't be done with less brake pedal depression.

And maybe I was not clear about how the new pedals assisted in rev matching with less brake depression. The red side extender is the helping bit so I can just roll my foot when on the street instead of mashing the throttle with my heel like I would when on track. And on track, I don't use the red extender since I'm using my heel.

And YES That steering wheel will fit a 997.1 with the proper boss hub! It's still my favorite mod and I'm thinking that's because it's something you touch and use all the time while driving.

Cheers!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:05 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
Looks like a ton of fun. How do your lap times compare to something like the 997.1 and 997.2 GT3 and the GT4?
The way my car is setup I will lap faster than a 997.1 GT3 on equal footing. 997.2 GT3 has a slight HP and gearing advantage. GT4 will get me in the corners and chicanes on short and medium tracks. I walk away on tracks with longer straights and fast turns like Road America. The 997 chassis is old and I'll need to upgrade my dampers to consistently be in front of GT4s on tracks like Autobahn. That yellow car in front of me here is a new GT4. He put a second or two on me each lap by the end of the day. That car is awesome.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:59 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Nothing personal to your friend but saying hard braking is the only time you should be rev matching is a ridiculous premise. From an engineers perspective, matching engine speed and transmission speed has nothing to do with rate of deceleration or acceleration outside of transmission speed rate of change in reference to wheel speed and gear selection. Ergo, It has nothing to with the brake system.

Porsche designed the brake and throttle pedals to be flush under maximum brake pedal depression so as to aid ease of throttle blipping just like you said. That doesn't mean it can't be done with less brake pedal depression.

And maybe I was not clear about how the new pedals assisted in rev matching with less brake depression. The red side extender is the helping bit so I can just roll my foot when on the street instead of mashing the throttle with my heel like I would when on track. And on track, I don't use the red extender since I'm using my heel.

And YES That steering wheel will fit a 997.1 with the proper boss hub! It's still my favorite mod and I'm thinking that's because it's something you touch and use all the time while driving.

Cheers!
I was referred to your stock steering wheel. LOL

I had to chuckle as I kept reading this thread and see those yellow vettes, the buddy I was referring to was a factory corvette driver, driving those yellow vettes back in the day. The IMSA cars were sequential boxes so this is off topic regarding his IMSA cars

Anyway, he is all about lap times, and he said that when sometimes felt he got the rev matching perfect and expect to come back and look at the data and see a fast lap time. When in reality he found that when he would only rev match under heavy braking, he would be much faster. (his words, not mine). He kind of chuckled when I brought up the topic because he sees so many drivers on the street rev match and then amateur racers doing it at the track and thinking it makes them a much faster driver, when in reality he thinks it is making most people slower, unless it is only don't under heavy braking.

At any rate, I like to do it when I feel necessary, I was actually thinking of getting the pedals with the red extensions for easier matching, like you mentioned.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:01 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

The way my car is setup I will lap faster than a 997.1 GT3 on equal footing. ........... That yellow car in front of me here is a new GT4. He put a second or two on me each lap by the end of the day. That car is awesome.
Wow, thats impressive, still to beat the 997.1 GT3. I also had no idea a GT4 could lap quicker than the 997.1 GT3.

EDIT-Just looked up ring times for them. Looks like the GT4 is 7:40, 997.1 GT3 7:42, 997.2 GT3 7:40. Also a little surprised 997.1 GT3 is so close to 997.2 GT3
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nwGT3, I reluctantly decided not to do the LAPS day this month. It would have been nice to see you there. Good lap video. Thanks for sharing.

J
Old 10-14-2016, 01:28 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
nwGT3, I reluctantly decided not to do the LAPS day this month. It would have been nice to see you there. Good lap video. Thanks for sharing.

J
See you next year!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:58 AM
Cream
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved reading the build, and it was great to meet you tonight! Nice attention to detail on the steering wheel. I love the sport classic wheels and the aero kit on the WB! Scott
Old 10-18-2016, 01:06 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Likewise, Scott. The gunmetal sport classic on cream/nat brown are a perfect combo. Total classic.

Here's a shot from tonight...

And one for Seneca to show off his new ride!

Old 10-19-2016, 12:42 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 291 Posts

^ bummed I didn't know about the meetup. Would've definitely stopped by!

Quick Reply: Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT