Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 12:18 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 550 Posts

New crib garage looks as thoroughly though out as your GTS, Nate.
Bravo.
At long last, I installed a Getty duck on mine and am trying to do a swap for a downforce matching Speedster lip on RL with someone for my removed 7 GT2RS size OZ UL wheels. Poor man's Sport Classic thang.
The long delayed new same size OZ SF wheels will shave 6 lbs per wheel of unsprung.

Someone described it thusly:
"Playing basketball wearing ankle weights vice playing with them in a fanny pack".
Weight carried above/below the knees induces an easily felt difference in agility/ lateral movement/ starting and stopping.
Knees are equivalent to suspension, obviously.

I am curious about the weighted **** mod as I just installed an OEM 997.2 SSK with FF SRK modded by the FF owner himself (charges $50 to do it). Can't "weight" to try that setup and maybe add the Heavy **** kit as a cherry on top. Considered the Numeric, same cost, all in, but am seeking tight and butter smooth. OEM GTS shift box was not bad, but lots more lateral play and a longer throw than my 997.1 base Carrera's. That thing was amazing. Especially for an OEM 911 cable system.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-01-2023 at 12:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 01:19 AM
buddalun
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Car continues to look awesome.

Did you add the weights into the balsa ****? Is it weighted on its own? TIA.
nwGTS (11-13-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 04:43 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
New crib garage looks as thoroughly though out as your GTS, Nate.
Bravo.
At long last, I installed a Getty duck on mine and am trying to do a swap for a downforce matching Speedster lip on RL with someone for my removed 7 GT2RS size OZ UL wheels. Poor man's Sport Classic thang.
The long delayed new same size OZ SF wheels will shave 6 lbs per wheel of unsprung.

Someone described it thusly:
"Playing basketball wearing ankle weights vice playing with them in a fanny pack".
Weight carried above/below the knees induces an easily felt difference in agility/ lateral movement/ starting and stopping.
Knees are equivalent to suspension, obviously.

I am curious about the weighted **** mod as I just installed an OEM 997.2 SSK with FF SRK modded by the FF owner himself (charges $50 to do it). Can't "weight" to try that setup and maybe add the Heavy **** kit as a cherry on top. Considered the Numeric, same cost, all in, but am seeking tight and butter smooth. OEM GTS shift box was not bad, but lots more lateral play and a longer throw than my 997.1 base Carrera's. That thing was amazing. Especially for an OEM 911 cable system.
Thanks for the compliment and sounds like you have quite the mod list going. The move to BBS E88s shaved 60-70 lbs unsprung weight and it's one of the few mods that's noticeable on the street, not just the track.

Originally Posted by buddalun
Car continues to look awesome.

Did you add the weights into the balsa ****? Is it weighted on its own? TIA.
Thank you! The manufacturer has options for weighted or unweighted. I ordered weighted, but will still add some 'iron putty' inside to give it a little more substance.
Separately, I was also pleasantly surprised to find the shift boot does not need to be cut to remove the fabric from the plastic locking connector that connects it to the ****. It's held with a friction/compression ring that pops out easily. This makes it easy to reassemble the OEM ****/boot combo if I ever wanted to.

Last edited by nwGTS; 11-01-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Liste-Renn (11-01-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 02:05 PM
TrofeoCollection
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Are your E88's 18 or 19? Which vendor did you source them from?
nwGTS (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:23 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TrofeoCollection
Are your E88's 18 or 19? Which vendor did you source them from?
18"s
I build them myself. Faces I bought from mooty 5 years ago or so. I sourced barrels from race teams near Chicago and hardware (ring, seal, bolts) from BBS NA.

Here are a few resources I put together for the wheels. These are all in some post in this thread from years ago too if you want more detail.

Last edited by nwGTS; 11-13-2023 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT