Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To some the 911 is just another fun car, to others it is significantly more than that

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016 | 01:45 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Default To some the 911 is just another fun car, to others it is significantly more than that

I hear a lot of talk on these boards about would you rather own a 911 or some exotic, some american muscle, something with more power, more tech, more this or that.

To some of you that go thru cars every year or are lucky enoug to have a stable of fun cars, good on you. But to others of us, the 911 is in fact THE MOST significant automobile in the world and there is a tremendous passion about the car. Yes, you can buy american and have better performance for less money, you can buy an exotic and have what you think is more panache or exclusivity which makes it more "special", while others may favor more modern designs and technology in the form of infotainment systems and modern conveniences.

To some the 911 is simply the perfect drivers car and it pulls at all the right levers for various reasons (mine is similar to Mr Dickinson of Singer)

Here are a few videos that explain the passion that many of us can relate to while others out there on the forum may laugh at and the general public may think we are just plain lunitics for. And while these videos focus on the 964, the passion is with 911 in general.

EVO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7E2rt_EF0A

Chris Harris
http://youtu.be/fJQ4hQSusjE

After Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pf8fUzT78s
Old 04-20-2016 | 01:51 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

probably not hanging out on these forums if feeling it is "just another car"?
Old 04-20-2016 | 01:55 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
Actually a little surprised at the lack of lotalty towards the 911 on the forum. Less than the last car I came from, which I didn't expect.
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:12 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Rennlist has a lot of members these days who see the 911 as their current toy car, lusting for the next 'performance' mod. The OP is right, those are no 911 fans. PAG knows that and that is why the 991 (and future versions) are ever more capable but less 911, and these new owners cannot tell the difference.

And to the OP: Singer AFAIC is a resto-mod. A very good resto-mod, but I prefer original/stock.
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:30 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rodH
Actually a little surprised at the lack of lotalty towards the 911 on the forum. Less than the last car I came from, which I didn't expect.
Interesting. What was your last car?

The 911 is a pretty specialized car - quirky even. It isn't for everyone. Some may need to try it to find out it is not for them and I'm OK with that. Seems like a great value for a sports car that delivers what it does and it is iconic in it's way. Liking a car a lot or being loyal is probably not rational - I don't pretend to be rational about it.

Last edited by stevepow; 04-20-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2016 | 03:07 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I love my 911 and plan to own it for life but jesus christ man it's just metal and plastic.
Old 04-20-2016 | 03:11 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Interesting. What was your last car?

The 911 is a pretty specialized car - quirky even. It isn't for everyone. Some my need to try it to find out it is not for them and I'm OK with that. Seems like a great value for a sports car that delivers what it does and it is iconic in it's way. Liking a car a lot or being loyal is probably not rational - I don't pretend to be rational about it.
Just an M3
Old 04-20-2016 | 03:12 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I love my 911 and plan to own it for life but jesus christ man it's just metal and plastic.
It's just "metal and plastic" to some like a diamond is "just a stone" to people like me. It's all a matter of how you look at it
Old 04-20-2016 | 05:56 AM
Ranfurly
Instructor

Yeah I have bounced around a number of cars, quite a few P cars as you'll see from my signature. Getting back into my C4 which I brought a few weeks ago is like coming home and feels just 'right'. Plan to keep it stock and avoid any modification threads as they are bad..... But but but I've so far managed to retain my 500SL R129 despite better half questions as to 'why is it still here' I can't sell it as I love how it is so different to the 997 and the M119 engine is such a lovely thing. Cheers Richard
Old 04-20-2016 | 06:48 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Rennlist has a lot of members these days who see the 911 as their current toy car, lusting for the next 'performance' mod. The OP is right, those are no 911 fans. PAG knows that and that is why the 991 (and future versions) are ever more capable but less 911, and these new owners cannot tell the difference.

And to the OP: Singer AFAIC is a resto-mod. A very good resto-mod, but I prefer original/stock.
Agreed on first point, disagree on the 2nd point about Singer, exactly as it's the opposite of your first argument.

Singer to me, is WHAT 911 could have been, IF PAG tried to do it right, money and shareholder demands were not a factor, and if regulations were relaxed. It is anti-991!

If I ever get to the point of spending that much in a car, a Singer would be it! To me, it's pretty much prefect in every way, and can be customized to your liking. Wish I could get a new original/stock like that, but that's no longer an option.
Old 04-20-2016 | 08:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Preach on brother.

Just fun adult toys and a form of transportation, nothing more
Old 04-20-2016 | 09:02 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

"Rennlist has a lot of members these days who see the 911 as their current toy car, lusting for the next 'performance' mod. The OP is right, those are no 911 fans."

please elaborate on the above? I read this as the owners that Mod (or looking for their next mod?) their 911 are not 911 fans... before I launch a nuclear war head reply in your direction figured I would triple check as was hoping no one on this forum is that big of a total jackass to infer the mentioned.

Originally Posted by ADias

Old 04-20-2016 | 09:03 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Just a car. Metal and plastic. On a 997 forum. Every time I think I know how far we've fallen, I have to reset the bar.
The following users liked this post:
carguy999 (02-23-2023)
Old 04-20-2016 | 09:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuck911
Just a car. Metal and plastic. On a 997 forum. Every time I think I know how far we've fallen, I have to reset the bar.
Yawn, it's called perspective and being well adjusted. You want to treat a stupid material possession like a diety, that's your business but don't be upset when others don't agree
Old 04-20-2016 | 09:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
"Rennlist has a lot of members these days who see the 911 as their current toy car, lusting for the next 'performance' mod. The OP is right, those are no 911 fans."

please elaborate on the above? I read this as the owners that Mod (or looking for their next mod?) their 911 are not 911 fans... before I launch a nuclear war head reply in your direction figured I would triple check as was hoping no one on this forum is that big of a total jackass to infer the mentioned.
+1 on this.

Porsche makes cars that have to appeal to a very broad audience for profitability, regulations compliance, etc. Those of us who modify these cars look at what Porsche creates as an excellent starting point, but want to make them more special and unique to us, as individuals. Porsche doesn't make my ideal dream car - I had to build from a certain starting point, but am now there and a huge fan of the brand. I have 5 Porsches and not a single one of them is stock, not even the one that's only 2 weeks old.

Porsches can be individualized and there are many aftermarket companies that design and manufacture parts that are of at least Porsche quality, and in many cases even better (materials, tolerances, strength, etc), such as Champion, RSS, TPC, RUF, fabspeed, etc. To limit the capability or potential enjoyment of your car because it has to be left "stock" is certainly an acceptable choice, but it's just that, your choice, and doesn't have to apply to everyone. A stock Porsche is not more or less of a Porsche than a modified one, it's just a different one.

The world would be a very boring place if we all drove the same car, or even the same Porsche, and life's too short to drive boring cars.

Quick Reply: To some the 911 is just another fun car, to others it is significantly more than that