Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To some the 911 is just another fun car, to others it is significantly more than that

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016 | 09:57 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Pete, I agree with you. The NA 997 is a great starting point but too much of a daily driver as stock. I prefer turning more into a weekend fun car at the cost of comfort while driving. So I up the suspension, brakes, and power. In turn it ups the thrill.

But Porsche does make more than one of my ideal dream cars I would leave stock, I just can't afford them. GT3 RS and 918 Spyder for example, drool...
Old 04-20-2016 | 10:15 AM
jglaze
Racer

Just metal and plastic...and leather. But so is my wife's VW. The difference is that I have a passion for fun cars and have always sought out "drivers cars," the 911 consistently being at the top of the list. But there's no need to deify the thing, or any other car for that matter.

Irrational viewpoints on the 911 are, in part, what has led to the price inflation of the long-nose 911s and pretty much every air-cooled P-car since. I'm not saying they aren't special cars, but this puts many cars out of reach for the true enthusiasts and into the garages (not to be driven) of "investors."

Just drive the dman thing...
Old 04-20-2016 | 10:18 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yawn, it's called perspective and being well adjusted. You want to treat a stupid material possession like a diety, that's your business but don't be upset when others don't agree
Amen!!
Old 04-20-2016 | 10:22 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jglaze
Just drive the dman thing...
That should be Porsches next advertising slogan!
(Preferably with darn spelled right!)
T
Old 04-20-2016 | 10:24 AM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
That should be Porsches next advertising slogan!
(Preferably with darn spelled right!)
T
Unfortunately, rennlist censors correct spelling of some words.
Old 04-20-2016 | 11:43 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

I love my wife my kids and my dog. Mostly in that order. I love my bourbon, my NUB Habano's and my Cabernet.

I love my flip flops (after they're broken in).

I love sunny days. And I love beaches.

And I love my Porsche.

Until I sell it and get something else...
Old 04-20-2016 | 11:59 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I enjoy my 911 because I enjoy driving and I appreciate the steering, trans, rear engine uniqueness, and the flat 6 smoothness.

It works for me because I trust the guys in Germany are truly diligent in their pursuit of a damn fine sports car. Being a true enthusiast (overused term), I felt I had to experience the 911.

But I throw up a little in my mouth when the praise goes over the top with the feels
: Analogue, engaging, visceral, etc. Okay, let's not get out of hand. Don't get Petrolicious on me.

And I can say this: I've been reading car mags since I was 10. For 38+ years the 911 was always the best sports car. It made me sick. "Oh, what a shocker, the 911 with worse numbers all around won AGAIN." Sort of like, "Oh, what a shock, they're gushing over the BMW 3-series again. Kill me."

I actually grew to hate the 911, because of the magazines.

It's a good car. Yeah, they know what they're doing. Damn fine sports car. Love it. But I also love a lot of cars the car mags hated, including some very American cars that were quirky or ragged by the magazines. My 88 Shelby Z: I don't apologize for loving it then, and damn... I drive a 911 and an Audi that is damn sweet, too, and the 88 Shelby Z is STILL DAMN FUN.

Love my 911, but if it had a less prestigious badge on it, I fear I wouldn't love it as much. I know this, because I've had as much fun in other cars wearing Toyota, Dodge and other badges.

Peace.

Last edited by Philster; 04-20-2016 at 01:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Philster:
detansinn (02-20-2023), Lanre Soetan (10-11-2019)
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mickfluff
"Rennlist has a lot of members these days who see the 911 as their current toy car, lusting for the next 'performance' mod. The OP is right, those are no 911 fans."

please elaborate on the above? I read this as the owners that Mod (or looking for their next mod?) their 911 are not 911 fans... before I launch a nuclear war head reply in your direction figured I would triple check as was hoping no one on this forum is that big of a total jackass to infer the mentioned.
My point is many who purchase a 911 (or any other performance car) immediately lust about headers/tune/suspension even before they tested the limits of the car as is... In the great majority of cases the limiting factor is the driver. But... if that makes them happy... I suspect though that it does not make them happy, and they are always after the next mod, so perhaps mod-lusting is what makes them tick.

Re a nuclear attack against me... I could not care less. This is a forum where people express opinions, yours and mine.
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
Agreed on first point, disagree on the 2nd point about Singer, exactly as it's the opposite of your first argument.

Singer to me, is WHAT 911 could have been, IF PAG tried to do it right, money and shareholder demands were not a factor, and if regulations were relaxed. It is anti-991!

If I ever get to the point of spending that much in a car, a Singer would be it! To me, it's pretty much prefect in every way, and can be customized to your liking. Wish I could get a new original/stock like that, but that's no longer an option.
Alex: To me the Singer is over the top. I actually appreciate the basic simplicity and quirkiness of an early to mid-80s 911.
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

"To some the 911 is just another fun car"
Right. Those would be the ones who know little or nothing about it. Also, this being the sad state of the culture and all, includes those who feel compelled to show disdain, because to acknowledge exceptionalism is just so un-cool, since it implies timeless standards when the only standard they are willing to accept is nihilism.

"to others it is significantly more than that"
Right. Those would be the ones who know what they're talking about.
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It is just entertainment.

Who would say .... um.... a 2000 Boxster S is a better car than a 2009 C2S? Well me of course, because I owned both.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:53 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Thoughts will definitely differ on what appropriate porsche ownership is from person to person. I have already met 911 owners everywhere on the scale from dedicated racecar owners to "I just want to look pretty in it." There is no wrong or right way to enjoy these cars, do with it what makes you happy.

For me, the brain says it's just another material possession made out of metal, glass and rubber, worth a certain amount of money and easily replaceable.

The heart would disagree, and I don't feel the need to reconcile the two.
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:54 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
It is just entertainment.

Well said.

Or

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-stran...r-is-my-lover/

LOL
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:58 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Originally Posted by 3Series
There is a scale, I don't particularly want to associate with anyone all the way to either side, haha.
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:58 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

I think it's more than just another (fast) car to me. Really is something unique and an experience in itself. Every drive is an experience, from having a great feel for the road, to the sound of the exhaust note, to the unique profile and shape of the car, to the thumbs up from other drivers or pedestrians.

Yet it also is somewhat practical and feels solid all-round.

911s stood out to me as a kid as they were clearly something different. They still are.

There is a big enthusiast group that buys these cars for reasons that I can relate to. There are others that buy for reasons I can't fully relate to. To each their own.

Quick Reply: To some the 911 is just another fun car, to others it is significantly more than that