Sponsored by:

997 Still Gets Lots of Attention

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Color can make difference in the attention it garners as some colors like grays, can blend in with all thew Camry's and Corolla's on the road.

A Guards Red or Green always stands out among the crowd.
I'm surprised that my car gets nearly no attention. When I had a Laguna Blue S2000 (similar to cobalt blue or aqua blue in 997) I got all sorts of attention from all types of people. But my arctic silver 997.2 just seems to blend in, and there aren't even that many Porsches on my side of town.

I'm no but my ego could handle a little more attention
Old 04-05-2016, 03:56 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I live a block from a neighborhood park, and when I was driving my 911 (1995, Guards Red, so not a 997, but that's beside the point for this story) home a boy who looked to be about 8 or 10 years old stopped on the sidewalk and yelled "That's a PORSCHE!"

It was so incredibly awesome, since I remember being that boy and dreaming of having one when I grew up.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:01 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Over the past 20 years of car ownership, I've owned a good number of "cool" cars, almost all modified to some extent, and some that are pretty rare. All of the sports or even sporty cars that I've owned (including both of my S2000s) have gotten some level of stoplight or gas pump attention, with the occasional person coming up to me or motioning for me to put my window down so they could ask me questions. That said, my 911, that looks basically stock on the outside except for the fact that it sits a little lower than stock, is the only car I've ever owned that is virtually guaranteed to get attention every time I drive it. It is totally unexpected too. I bought the car because it was my childhood dream car. But it gets almost an unusual level of attention from people that I never experienced in any of my other cars, and I don't exactly live in the "sticks" either. Granted, it isn't SoCal around here--we don't see Bentleys, Ferraris and Lambos all over the place and every single day--but I do see them from time to time. Even more, I see 911's virtually everyday, so it isn't as if mine is the only one around. But just like this has always been my dream car, it is a LOT of people's dream car, and that is what makes it so special.

It's the range of people that are interested in this car that really amazes me. I have had cars that only gear-heads appreciate. I've had cars that younger drivers seem to love, but older drivers don't really know about. But this car will get the young soccer mom, the older guys, the little kids, the middle-aged women, the serious gear heads... everyone... turning heads and asking questions. It is a special car.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:05 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Over the past 20 years of car ownership, I've owned a good number of "cool" cars, almost all modified to some extent, and some that are pretty rare. All of the sports or even sporty cars that I've owned (including both of my S2000s) have gotten some level of stoplight or gas pump attention, with the occasional person coming up to me or motioning for me to put my window down so they could ask me questions. That said, my 911, that looks basically stock on the outside except for the fact that it sits a little lower than stock, is the only car I've ever owned that is virtually guaranteed to get attention every time I drive it. It is totally unexpected too. I bought the car because it was my childhood dream car. But it gets almost an unusual level of attention from people that I never experienced in any of my other cars, and I don't exactly live in the "sticks" either. Granted, it isn't SoCal around here--we don't see Bentleys, Ferraris and Lambos all over the place and every single day--but I do see them from time to time. Even more, I see 911's virtually everyday, so it isn't as if mine is the only one around. But just like this has always been my dream car, it is a LOT of people's dream car, and that is what makes it so special.

It's the range of people that are interested in this car that really amazes me. I have had cars that only gear-heads appreciate. I've had cars that younger drivers seem to love, but older drivers don't really know about. But this car will get the young soccer mom, the older guys, the little kids, the middle-aged women, the serious gear heads... everyone... turning heads and asking questions. It is a special car.
the 911 is sure a classic! and it ages so well
Old 04-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

The ability to blend in is a good trait IMO. No doubt a 997 will get attention in the right market but it's not usually the hostile kind. I've heard stories of exotic owners who leave them at home because they are afraid to park them in public. That said, I always enjoy seeing a 997 and wish I saw more where I am.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:19 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
This thread was alright until someone started to come in and speak crap about corvettes...

seriously?.
Why would you care if someone doesnt like a vette? I couldn't care any less what a vette owner thinks of my 911.

Are there any vehicle for which we approved to talk crap about?

They look like a lego land transformer to me....ooops.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:10 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodH
"He"? it was a 50+ year old woman and a teenage daughter in the car with an auto trans. "win" against what? Driver?
My cousin has a one of the new Z06 Corvettes, and to say it's fast is a serious understatement. Floor it, keep it in a straight line and it will put your eyeballs into the back of your skull. I drove it and to me, it's scary fast. It's not my kind of car, but the cuz loves it and that's all that really matters. I'm more than happy with my 2005 Base Carrera.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
There is a very small but fortunate percentage whose vocation is their occupation. For the rest of us...well.... we come here and find like-minded dudes on the internet then meet them in person and let them plug their computer into our cars. lmao.

Originally Posted by motopix
I was pretty set on getting a new 5.0 w/PP & Recaros. Very excited, read all the forums and the problems with them but it still didn't put me off.

The day I went to the dealer to check out one exactly as wanted, I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. The next day, went to check out this used 2006 911 that I had debated about for a month. Almost turned around half way to the dealership but figured no, I'll just it out of my system and go look at it. That's all she wrote.
Same here. I thought the S550 GT was too "soft", no steering feel, felt heavy, looked heavy, too isolated. The same qualities that made it a good daily driver were the same qualities I didn't want in a car.

And apparently if I wanted one in Kona Blue, I'd have to wait six months unless they could track a car down (they couldn't find one with PP, 6MT and cloth Recaros at MSRP or below).

I actually wanted a 987.2, but then I found my FSI car.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:54 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
I live a block from a neighborhood park, and when I was driving my 911 (1995, Guards Red, so not a 997, but that's beside the point for this story) home a boy who looked to be about 8 or 10 years old stopped on the sidewalk and yelled "That's a PORSCHE!"

It was so incredibly awesome, since I remember being that boy and dreaming of having one when I grew up.
You might have changed his life forever. That's my story also, about the same age back in 1973, which I remember clear as day still. I was walking home from school, and I saw what I thought was a red VW Beetle - prevalent back then - but a much lower roof line. As it drove by, the sound of the engine was waaaay different. I didn't know what it was, but I was hooked.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:10 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My 997 gets very little attention around So Cal. The '88 Targa however gets lots of waves and thumbs up.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

This is one of the less well known benefits. Because the 911 has been around and honored its original design for so long, whole generations have grown up with it always being there as a world-class sports car. Years and years go by with the car, as far as the average Joe is concerned, hardly changing at all. Almost no one can tell one from another, but they have all grown up with it so almost everyone knows its a hot car.

One time a few of us were driving across eastern Washington and stopped for lunch in a seemingly deserted small town. Not a soul on the street. By the time we got out of our cars though at least a dozen people had come out of shops, restaurants and bars to see what was going on. Everybody just standing there gaping. What a trip.

And for whatever reason, its not just guys but women too. In fact I think maybe even more women than men. Then again I may be guilty of selection bias!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
And for whatever reason, its not just guys but women too. In fact I think maybe even more women than men. Then again I may be guilty of selection bias!
I've had my 997 for nearly 6 years now and have only two females comment on my car. One at a stoplight, when she said, "Is that a turbo? Very nice!" And a girl working the front desk at the 24hr fitness noticed me driving in. When I got in, she said, "Is that your Porsche, it's beautiful!" But it's usually guys who take pictures or comment on it.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:06 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

There's a group of us local to the SF Bay Area that do drives, mostly days but annually a much longer one. This year we're headed toward Yellowstone for an 8-9 day trip.

The group is mostly Porsches, 997s, Caymans, 993, but also includes a C4 Vette and a Jag F-Type. Maybe it's because all the other cars are more mundane colors (white, silver, black) that the red Jag gets ALL the attention. But, no doubt, when we stop, the locals gather round that Jag.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not a fan of certain aspects of the F-Type but there is no denying it is a beautiful car - and worthy lineage to the E-Type.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:07 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
I'm not a fan of certain aspects of the F-Type but there is no denying it is a beautiful car - and worthy lineage to the E-Type.
Yup

That's like just about any Aston Martin turns all other vehicles into background noise

Quick Reply: 997 Still Gets Lots of Attention