Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Squeal? Remove Brake Damper Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:27 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake Squeal? Remove Brake Damper Pads?

Hello,

Since I have owned my 2007 Porsche Carrera S (2 months) I have experienced some severe brake squeal during low speed operations. I decided to pull pads out and found that during the last brake pad change they did no replace the damper pads with new ones, instead they reused the old ones. OEM says to replace dampers after every pad change. Well I am not about to put new dampers in now because the existing brake pads only has 40% wear on them. Currently my Porsche has Textar pads installed. I really like these pads and am not going to consider another brand. I just want to do away with the squeal.

My question... Can I just do away with the dampers all together? I have read several posts on here of Porsche owners doing away with the dampers and having no issues.

While I wait for my existing pads to wear out, I decided to apply some CRC Brake Grease to the backs of the pads and pistons where the dampers rest. This has fixed the squeal problem for now.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:59 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

try bedding them in again, if you do a lot of stop and go driving some pads will squeel
Old 04-02-2016, 01:45 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85
Old 04-02-2016, 02:12 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan GSR
try bedding them in again, if you do a lot of stop and go driving some pads will squeel
This issue is far beyond a simple bedding procedure. The friction casued during braking is causing vibrations which is being transferred through the brake calipers and its hardware. Dampers are no longer operating properly because they are worn out. I am considering removing dampers all together. Trying to find out if anyone has done away with their dampers.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Improper bedding is the leading cause of vibrations being transferred.

Especially in high-performance brakes/systems.

Squeals and vibrations: These complaints often lead to assumptions of worn pads and warped rotors, or some other mechanical problem, when the bedding procedure is the issue.

Now, you might have damper issues, but since the issues can be mutually exclusive, it's fair to point out that you shouldn't be discounting out of hand the leading causes of vibration.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had brake pad squeal issues on cars (and motorcycles) due to the brakes being used too gently all the time.
The problem went away after the brakes were used in anger.

The squeal would return if the car was driven with respect to local traffic laws. If this is the cause, a change of brake compounds may solve the problem.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:10 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Well as I stated previously, since I have applied the CRC brake caliper grease I have not had any issues during low speed operations.

The pads have been properly bedded since I have owned the vehicle. When I pulled the pads out I noticed that the dampers were old and falling apart. New dampers are required but I am waiting for the next brake pad change to do new dampers. I am pretty confident that dampers are not necessary and would like to hear from people that have done away with their dampers.

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
Well as I stated previously, since I have applied the CRC brake caliper grease I have not had any issues during low speed operations.

The pads have been properly bedded since I have owned the vehicle. When I pulled the pads out I noticed that the dampers were old and falling apart. New dampers are required but I am waiting for the next brake pad change to do new dampers. I am pretty confident that dampers are not necessary and would like to hear from people that have done away with their dampers.
Do away with your dampers and report back then.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:46 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Do away with your dampers and report back then.
If I remove the dampers it will be after I hear from others that have done so without any issues. I understand the importance of keeping the vehicle in the condition in which it was intended by Porsche engineers, but I also understand that the Porsche red caliper brake system was designed in such a way that the driver would experience optimal braking power with stiff and direct pedal feeling during extreme driving conditions. Hence why Porsche dos not use any type of lubrication around the pistons, pins, brake pad backs and etc. This is to give the driver direct feedback when braking. I applaud Porsche for accomplishing this but in today's market one could use Teflon shims, copper based synthetic lubricants and other products that could potentially be alternatives to buying new vibration dampers and damper pads every time you change brake pads.

I believe that people that race their Porsche's don't go around replacing their dampers every time they put on race brake pads, this would be impossible especially since the dampers come with an adhesive back that is "one-time-use only".

Last edited by frankyluis23; 04-03-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
If I remove the dampers it will be after I hear from others that have done so without any issues.
If I read right you are attributing the brake squeal to non-functioning -- due to age -- dampeners.

And you want to remove these in hopes the brake squeal will be gone?

Seems contrary.

Since the dampeners are shot I second what gpjli2 had to say: Remove the old dampeners.

For some MY's Porsche has dropped the brake dampeners from the parts list and the brakes remain quiet. Maybe your car's MY is one?

If the noise is gone that's a win. If the noise is still present then you know dampeners are required.

If the brakes continue to be noisy either live with that until the pads are due to be replaced or install new dampeners.

I would *not* use any grease or similar stuff in an attempt to quiet the brakes. While you have enjoyed a temporary respite I suspect it won't last. And more importantly my concern is the heat would have this stuff running about and possibly contaminating the brake hardware.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:28 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Since the dampeners are shot I second what gpjli2 had to say: Remove the old dampeners.

For some MY's Porsche has dropped the brake dampeners from the parts list and the brakes remain quiet. Maybe your car's MY is one?

If the noise is gone that's a win. If the noise is still present then you know dampeners are required.

If the brakes continue to be noisy either live with that until the pads are due to be replaced or install new dampeners.

I would *not* use any grease or similar stuff in an attempt to quiet the brakes. While you have enjoyed a temporary respite I suspect it won't last. And more importantly my concern is the heat would have this stuff running about and possibly contaminating the brake hardware.
I will eventually concede to removing the dampers and experimenting but for now I am trying to do my research and get some questions answered. I am fully aware of caliper grease being a temporary solution and I am okay with that. My hypothesis is that the brakes will not squeal if the damper pads and vibrations shims are removed and there is some form of Teflon shim inserts put on or compound, but I am not yet ready to experiment that hypothesis on my own vehicle just yet.

Let's first see how long the caliper grease holds and I will report back on those results.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I run my brakes without damping plates (as they don't fit with the Pagids I have installed). Try using an air compressor to remove brake dust build up.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Don't need them. I threw mine out
Old 04-03-2016, 06:02 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan GSR
Don't need them. I threw mine out
Do you get any squeal?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Nope, but I'm using a different pad

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal? Remove Brake Damper Pads?