Sponsored by:

Brake Squeal? Remove Brake Damper Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:37 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Typically the the rotors shouldn't matter too much. However when you slap new pads on with old rotors, there is still a transfer material left on the old rotor from the new pad. So a new rotor is better because its new, but technically the old pad material should rub off and the new material transfer onto the rotor. But if the compounds mix and aren't compatible, who knows.

Your rotors looks like they still have meat on them, I think i can see the wear indicator and not cracks between the holes. On another note, are those Porsche rotors, the hats look a little rusty.
The rotors are Raybestos rotors non coated, OEM dimensions and the car sat outside for a few weeks and the rust happened. I absolutely hate how they look right now, I would be willing to replace them if they weren't new but they are new rotors installed in October, 2015.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:49 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
The rotors are Raybestos rotors non coated, OEM dimensions and the car sat outside for a few weeks and the rust happened. I absolutely hate how they look right now, I would be willing to replace them if they weren't new but they are new rotors installed in October, 2015.

Interesting that they are Raybestos, I didn't know they had rotors for our cars. The only way to fix your squeal would probably be to start fresh with new rotors, pads and dampers.

That's why some shops insist on all new so they don't have folks coming back complaining about squeaks and then have to troubleshoot for free.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

The last 3 997's I had were track-street cars. I swapped out brake pads all the time for track pads to street pads. I NEVER used the anti-squeal shim on the back of the stock street pads because it makes getting pads in and out hard.

I NEVER had any brake squeal from my stock OEM street pads with out the shim.

The brake squeal you here is the very fast vibration of the pad to the disc...fluttering back and forth. Make sure what ever street pads you use have the 2 small weights on the outside of the pad....like the stock OEM pads have. These weight help balance the pad and stop squeal.

If you brake very lightly all the time, your rotors can get glazed....some very hard threshold braking ( engage ABS) from high speeds say 70 down to 30 will stop the squeal too.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Porsche mechanic gave me a brake kit from Porsche. It included this rubbery paint. Put on a coat with your finger, let dry. Repeat. No squeal using the paint/and factory pads.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:18 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Default ******UPDATE*******

In my pursuit to silence my squeaky brakes I decided that I am going do the following things;

A. Buy new coated rotors for all 4 wheels
B. Buy Hawk Ceramic brake pads
C. Delete shim dampers

This weekend I started by replacing the front rotors with ATE Coated rotors. Had to get rid of those hideous non coated rotors. Also, I decided to test out the damper deletion. I am going to use the old brake pads for now until I am satisfied that deleting the dampers is a safe alternative.

In a few weeks I am going to replace the rear rotors with Zimmerman coated rotors. Unfortunately PelicanParts does not offer ATE coated rotors for the rear, not sure why. When I do this I will also replace brake pads with Hawk Ceramic Pads. I am looking forward to reducing brake dust on the wheels.

BTW, when removing the brake caliper and rotors, you are supposed to replace the caliper bolts and the rotor set screws but I failed to order them so I had to re-use the existing hardware (not proud). I am putting those items on my shopping list for next time.
Attached Images       

Last edited by frankyluis23; 04-10-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
My Porsche mechanic gave me a brake kit from Porsche. It included this rubbery paint. Put on a coat with your finger, let dry. Repeat. No squeal using the paint/and factory pads.
I did this with my pfc08's - no squeal.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:51 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

So this is somewhat ironic. When I originally made this post I stated that I wanted to keep using Textar brake pads but it turns out that while I was looking at the reviews on PelicanParts.com I found this very interesting review on Textar brake pads. This is the major reason why I am now switching to Hawk ceramic pads. It could very well be that the pads are the culprit to all the squealing.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my rotors & pads replaced under warranty with OEM parts. They are now squealing worse than before.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
I just had my rotors & pads replaced under warranty with OEM parts. They are now squealing worse than before.
I hate to say this but you need to ditch the OEM pads for aftermarket Ceramic Brake pads. It's probably your best bet.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The textar pads squeel and are big mess makers, do the job very well, but are extremely cheap... Can't have it all.

The OEM pads don't make noise but are much more expensive too.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:20 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I hate to say this but you need to ditch the OEM pads for aftermarket Ceramic Brake pads. It's probably your best bet.
lol at you guys buying high end sports cars... some of the best driving performance cars on the road and then putting ceramic brake pads on whose priorities are low dusting... lol
Old 10-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Hawk ceramic are garbage. Pedal feel is way too soft. Stick with oem. Then apply brake paste, dampers, and bed properly. Shouldn't have any squeal
Old 10-10-2016, 11:27 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crester
lol at you guys buying high end sports cars... some of the best driving performance cars on the road and then putting ceramic brake pads on whose priorities are low dusting... lol
Ceramic pads don't generate as much heat as semi metallic pads which means you are less likely to experience brake fade. Brake fade is not good especially if you're tracking your car. The reason the pedal requires more pressure on the ceramics pads is because they take longer to warm up as compared to semi metallic pads. Because semi metallic pads produces more friction, faster than ceramic, tracking your car on a hot day is not ideal with semi metallic pads. after you complete a warm up lap with ceramic pads, the pedal feel and performance is spectacular.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:35 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on some harder stops
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Not related to squeals, but it looks like the ATE rotors don't have wear dimples in them. Sebro rotors do, just like the Porsche ones.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal? Remove Brake Damper Pads?