Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my mk5
Old 04-04-2016, 03:33 AM
soze
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Soze, did you happen to have a mk5 GTI by any chance? I still have mine and I remember a 'Soze' from the Golfmk5 forums. I'm Ronan1 over there.

Interested in the camera solution too!
Originally Posted by sleepy
I'm curious to know if the NavTV unit can channel any arbitrary video input to the PCM3 screen, and not just for reverse -- so that I can have my phone's navigation on PCM.

Another 997 + mk5 GTI owner here
Originally Posted by Dan GSR
I just sold my mk5
So this is where all the GolfMKV'ers went!

Sorry for the threadjack!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:15 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

pls share how this is done...
Old 04-04-2016, 04:47 PM
bonanzapilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back up camera for 997

I did a lot of research, found, and installed a back up camera on my 997.1
Carrera S. PCM 3.0 and later have an inlet jack port to plug in the camera wire, and your shop has to activate the OBDII to recognize it. I removed my PCM factory unit, and installed what the Germans are currently using,
an ICARTECH S730 smart radio/GPS/phone. The optics are terrific, even at night, and my camera plugs right in, no shop computer work needed. The point is, I ended up with two cameras, and wireless transmitter/receivers.
The camera replaces the left license place light, has its own lens to show
an LED to one side. Wiring is fished up to your left rear tail light, connects to the back up wiring, and to the tiny wireless transmitter. Up front,
the wireless receiver is hooked to power, and plugged into the radio. I don't need the spare, I will sell the camera and the wireless for $150.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:02 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
pls share how this is done...

I'm not affiliated with NAVTV. I'm just passing along a link. Although I've never bought anything from the company, I've been aware of them for a long time (10+ years) so it seems to be a legit business.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT265/rgb-pcm30.html

$800 to get a module that allows analog video into PCM 3.0. Once you have that, you can pick whatever camera and inputs you want.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The solution is installed and composed of a couple of items

1) Custom plate mounting base that allows the hiding of the camera
2) NavTV OEM integration module to put video on the PCM screen (and the tech solution to do so when the reverse gear is selected
3) The CMOS camera itself (could be the "CAMERA 6" from the NavTV site: https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT299/camera-6.html )

Install for the camera solution & parts for it (while i was already having rear detector/diffusers installed for a detector so they were going back there and installing the custom plate base and wiring to it already: $1650.00
If I'd only done this camera, it would have been a bit more due to the added labor of removing the rear bumper cover, reassembly etc (things that were already getting done due to the detector install)

I'm guessing that I have this solution installed ( https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT265/rgb-pcm30.html ) - I've not verified the specifics; it works and I'm happy with it.

So yes, for a simple camera it is spendy, but I got tired of delaying and futzing around looking for a solution that was a few hundred dollars and then having to do the install myself, in my smaller garage space. So I'm glad I just have it done. Years from now the fee will be irrelevant but the benefit of using the backup camera just as satisfying (and safer).

Per Benchmark Motoring (Bellevue WA):
  • "NavTv’s OEM integration products"
  • "cameras we use are all CMOS low light cameras, same as the factory"

The 'camera' lense is the small circle in the plate backing frame (black plastic) - right above the UM in the word 'ALUMNI':

Last edited by Minok; 04-05-2016 at 07:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PCARNTHZST (04-17-2020)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by sleepy
I'm curious to know if the NavTV unit can channel any arbitrary video input to the PCM3 screen, and not just for reverse -- so that I can have my phone's navigation on PCM.
I would expect it can. My expectation is the NavTV unit has a video input it pushes to the PCM - so long as the video source is of the right type. I'm expecting it wants a COMPOSITE video signal or a YUV or some other analog, or maybe it has RGB input, not sure... but that source, be it the camera, or your phone should make no difference so long as
1) Your phone can output in a format the NavTV can use
2) and the resolution is compatible

Look at: https://navtv.com/products/category/...interface.html
Then select MAKE=PORSCHE in the filter at the top:

The RGB2+ may be the solution you want? Can you get RGB analog signal out of your phone?
Then there is the "RGB-PORSCH Radio Modification" which could add a 2nd video input as well. Maybe the RGB-PCM3.0 option

Options seem to be COMPOSITE video. Per NavTV (for the PCM3.1 solution):
Activation: Wire trigger (rear cam) & manual push button (AV in)
Video Inputs: 4 composite (3 + 1 rear cam)
Video Outputs: 2 composite (pass-through only)
Audio Inputs: 3 pair analog (pass-through only)
Audio Outputs: 1 pair analog (pass-through only)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for sharing the details , quite a cool project !
Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

To my answer, it's an expensive solution but useful for minok so it's worth it for him. One day someone hopefully discovers a $100 solution but I doubt...looks great minok wish I could "afford" that feature...
Old 04-07-2016, 02:13 PM
bonanzapilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear view camera

No $100 answer yet. Crux rvcpr-66 fits Porsche 2008 to 2015 with PCM 3.1 and above radios. Amazon sells it for $649. I spent about $1500 for new
Icartech S730, installed. The $150 camera and wireless installation kit
plugged right into that, plus I have a mirror display of my smartphone, with all of the apps available right on the car unit...email, music, GPS, etc.
Only problem is that these new Android units are not widely known, as 2017 will be a big year for android-auto app in new cars. Installers know nothing about how to make them work yet, so it is DIY research and fine tune.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Your never going to find a $100 solution.
You need a camera of quality - that would likely be $50 at least. Then you need an interface to the PCM, and thats likely to be at least $200+ unless you build it yourself, because its such a specialty thing, the developer doesn't have the volume of sales to bring the price down. Then add the cabeling and integration to the reverse lever - that's likely $50 in parts at least.

So I expect at least $300 just for parts as a bare minimum and thats probably you doing a lot of the cobbling.

Then the labor to install it all, at least $400, so unless your time is free to you and you do this a lot, its just cheaper to have an experienced installer do the work.

Yes, I'd have love to find a $1000 installed solution but on a $60k car that I plan to keep till the wheels fall off, its worth it for me.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:29 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rydeen MINy Uiversal Camera installed on my 997.2

I typed a longer message and hit the wrong button which lost it. Briefly, this works great if you have NAV already, hence have the screen. Otherwise, need another approach such as windshield mount.
Hurley's in N Virtgina - McLean/Tyson's corner- is an excellent shop and did mine for $1000, P and L. Total. He does a ton of Porsches. Works great. 160 degrees, color, quite light-sensitive.

Charlie
Old 04-16-2016, 08:33 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Did you also look into the Tadi Bro solution?

I am undecided between NavTv or Tadi Bro for getting front/rear cameras.

Does the NavTv allow dual video input? So, I can have a front and rear camera. Tired of whacking front parking bumps.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:23 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Default NAV TV and Tadi Bros camera solutions

I did look into Tadi wireless camera and got spooked because of possible interference, plus the reputable installers I checked with in US and London (for Daughter's car) did not have experience with them--at best. Some had heard about issues. NAV TV seems to only offer systems designed to work with a windshield or dash-mounted screen. If you have a series 2 997 with NAV, why do that?

I would sort of like to have front mounted camera also, but rear got me most of what I need.

If you have a front camera and no audio beeper, you would have to have a manual switch to put it on when you go forward? Or would it self-actuate?

Anyway, I did not check NAV TV beyond their site info which did not have a 997.2 offering with the interface to my NAV screen.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Why I got a backup camera installed on the 997.2