Old 03-30-2016, 09:15 PM
pabafree95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fidelity ins protocol

Hi guys I have an 08 targa 4s
Have owned since 2010 have done all service at local Porsche dealer
When CPO exp I purchased 5/60k from fidelity , platinum
Now car has scored cyl 6 diagnosed via bore scope. Fidelity rep came to p shop and asked that dealer do teardown before approving shortblock

Dealer tells me that fidelity wants to determine reason for scoring
They want to verify that's it's not due to "carbon build up"
If it is they implied they wouldn't cover it

Just curious to k ow if u have insight about fidelity protocol
Thanks much

Ps
I had engine replaced by Porsche CPO in 2011 due to scored cyl 4
Just my luck
Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

It seems that your dealer is following the initial protocols with Fidelity.

IIRC, the Platinum policy is exclusionary and therefore states the items that are excluded. I did not read that carbon build up is excluded but may fall into the wear and tear provisions (see below).

There is one area that is not very clear in the Platinum policy that relates to how coverages change when you are over 50K mileage. Certain items might be subject to normal wear and tear and could be interpreted as excluded.

I would make sure that the right people at your Porsche dealership are involved. Relationship between the dealer and Fidelity is important. The dealer needs to fight for you.

With that said, some homework to be done by you.
1. Read your policy carefully. Look at what is excluded and the section that talks about changes when mileage is 50K and greater.
2. Research whether scoring can be caused by carbon buildup. Search Rennlist and you will find some experts to reach out to.
3. Speak to your dealership and find out what their thoughts are to get the work covered.
4. If the coverage is denied, then be prepared to get involved directly with Fidelity and go up the ladder until you get it approved.

Don't accept their conclusions if you think that they are wrong.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 PM
rx7turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. I bought a warranty from Fidelity on my '05 Boxster S that I obtained back in June, bought the warranty 5 weeks ago when I took it to the dealer to get a new shifter cable (precautionary) and short shifter. They (the dealer) did the inspection and okayed the car as requested by Fidelity.

Was on my way back to dealer 2 weeks ago to get the LN Engineering IMS upgrade and the IMS went out 20 miles from the dealer (I live about 110 mi from dealer). Car only had 32k on it and had apparently sat a lot which, from what I have heard, is very bad for the M96 engine.

Anyway, after requesting an engine tear down, which I had to agree to pay for if they turned down the repair putting me on the hook for $3k if I decided not to fix it when they turned it down, they now say it has not been long enough since I bought the warranty. According to two different reps I talked to on the phone, there is no waiting period.

If that's their excuse, time, then they should not have asked for a tear down. They are not operating in good faith.

I am having the dealer go ahead and fix it but once that's done, I am not done with Fidelity. Apparently, they are a shady organization.

Last edited by rx7turbo; 08-26-2016 at 08:08 PM. Reason: correct info
Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pabafree95
Hi guys I have an 08 targa 4s
Have owned since 2010 have done all service at local Porsche dealer
When CPO exp I purchased 5/60k from fidelity , platinum
Now car has scored cyl 6 diagnosed via bore scope. Fidelity rep came to p shop and asked that dealer do teardown before approving shortblock

Dealer tells me that fidelity wants to determine reason for scoring
They want to verify that's it's not due to "carbon build up"
If it is they implied they wouldn't cover it

Just curious to k ow if u have insight about fidelity protocol
Thanks much

Ps
I had engine replaced by Porsche CPO in 2011 due to scored cyl 4
Just my luck
First, I never had a Fidelity warranty -- I was offered one when I bought a used 2003 Turbo but I elected to stay with the Porsche CPO warranty -- but I talked to the senior techs at my local dealer about Fidelity and they told me invariably the Fidelity rep is in to ask about a zilion questions looking for a reason to deny the claim.

The people who should have the most insight regarding Fidelity "protocol" are the techs who deal with Fidelity off and on over time.

The tech is your agent/proxy in dealing with Fidelity.

Have you spoken to the techs about this protocol thing?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:23 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So the fidelity rep is implying that carbon build-up caused cylinder scoring. Interesting. I wonder how he would prove that claim in a court of law.

Maybe he is thinking that your 2008 has a DFI engine.

Anyway, potential Fidelity customers please take note here!!!

Regards,

CF

Quick Reply: Fidelity ins protocol