Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires - its always something

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:51 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be a little late to this party, but here is my thread on a similar situation:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-replaced.html

Long story short, the dealer addressed my concerns. I did have tires that didn't pass the tread depth though.

FYI, the CPO worksheet has been through several revisions, some revisions mention tire age, some don't. In my case, the dealer tech completely missed the tread depth.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:09 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

o/p - check the front tires too. If dated, replace those too.
Four new tires? Is a fantastic experience.

Perhaps keep one old front and one old rear as a spare.
You never need one, if you have one!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
I may have to check my fronts now...I got my '09 in Feb '15 and was CPO'ed. They replaced the rears but did not replace the fronts and I believe the fronts are the original tires. Now I gotta check...
GoPirates: It looks like you will likely have a good argument that your tires weren't the same age as they are required to be, as noted in the CPO section I pasted in a few posts back. (And oh yeah, I went to ECU too!)

For OP: I agree with the follow-up posts that you should check with Porsche corporate. It can't hurt and it might save you a lot of money. I'll say it is good odds it will work since those tires were so grossly out of date.

I think I shared by BMW dealer story earlier and how it was solved by appealing to corporate (and that was for a whole car... tires should be easier!), but I have just had another case of this from just a week ago. And yes this is true despite the almost too-good-to-be-true coincidence in timing.

My wife's Buick is almost out of warranty. We've taken the car in twice before with an intermittently failing FM radio (goes to static) that always resets when you restart the car. Both times they said they couldn't get it fail so they couldn't fix it. So one day I happened to be running an errand in her car and it failed, so without turning the car off I took it in and showed the failure to both the shop manager and the service agent I deal with. They acknowledged seeing it and said to bring the car back in for repairs. Then amazingly, when that repair visit was about to end, the service advisor called and said they couldn't fix it because they couldn't recreate it and couldn't tell which of two components to replace (antenna module or radio). Arghhh!!!!!

I refused pick-up of the car, asked for the number to call for an appeal to corporate, and called that number right way. After about a 20 minutes explaining this fully to the corporate rep (20 minutes due to her pulling up records on the car and calling the service advisor to confirm information while I held), she said the dealer would be calling me back right away to resolve this properly. The dealer called and said they were keeping the car, replacing the antenna module, and assigning me their best service advisor. If the antenna module replacement doesn't work, they have promised to replace the radio next and chase the problem until it is resolved regardless of whether the car is still in warranty.

So the purpose of the BMW and Buick stories are: Yes, it is normal for a service rep and dealer to say no. Appealing to corporate with a reasonable argument often works; it has both times I've resorted to it. And by the way, I've never had to raise my voice, polite but firm reasoning has always worked for me and probably works better than other possibilities.

I think you have a very good argument in your case. I bet you can win this one and saving yourself a lot of money, these tires aren't cheap!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, I checked and my fronts are from 08. Looks like I'll be communicating with the dealer about this. They will probably give me grief since I bought the car a year ago.

They are long distance in Philly and I'm in Raleigh. Wish me luck...

Go to know StormRune, let's hope this new coaching change will have good results...
Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

All four were from 08. Didn't bother checking with PCNA. Just got back from getting 4 new conti DWS06's installed. Ride is much much much better. And now I'm good to drive year round and hopefully get 30-40K miles out of these.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
All four were from 08. Didn't bother checking with PCNA. Just got back from getting 4 new conti DWS06's installed. Ride is much much much better. And now I'm good to drive year round and hopefully get 30-40K miles out of these.
30K... I couldn't get 15K out of a set of rears. And that's before I started tracking the car. You must do lot's of highway driving with that kind of milage.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI: 25,000 on a set of fronts, maybe 10,000 on the rears for either Goodyear F1 or Pirelli P-Zero. For me the fronts actually "time out" before they wear out.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:27 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

They are all season tires with something like 600 wear rating. Did it on purpose because with N rated summer tires I got 10k out of rear tires and 20 out of front. At 30k miles per year I was spending tons on tires. So it's all season non N rated tires for me.

On my 996 I had the alignment on the rear set up more straight so the I inside didn't wear out. Gonna watch these tires and see if I should do the same on the 997.

And nope - no track time. Strictly daily driver/commuter.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So theoretically speaking would there be a legal remedy if the dealer refused to replace the fronts that date back to 08 and they missed it during the CPO inspection by using a dated form that did not specify age as the criteria? Or would it be prudent to escalate to PCNA and let them weigh in?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

No. The CPO paper work says minimum tread depth only. Then if it says tires were replaced must be with N rated tires that comply with the technical bulletin. So technically they don't have to. You can call PCNA and try if you want. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:23 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't see how aged tires (beyond 6 years) can pass CPO, given Porsche's public position that it's unsafe and to not drive on them "under any circumstances" as published/written in the owners manual.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

No. The CPO paper work says minimum tread depth only. Then if it says tires were replaced must be with N rated tires that comply with the technical bulletin. So technically they don't have to. You can call PCNA and try if you want. Let me know how it turns out.
You need to re-read (or read for the first time it appears) the snippet of the CPO paperwork I included back in post 18. All of the tires must be the same age along with a few other conditions beyond tread depth.

gopirates: It is always best to exhaust possibilities like checking with PCNA first.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

They are all season tires with something like 600 wear rating. Did it on purpose because with N rated summer tires I got 10k out of rear tires and 20 out of front. At 30k miles per year I was spending tons on tires. So it's all season non N rated tires for me.

On my 996 I had the alignment on the rear set up more straight so the I inside didn't wear out. Gonna watch these tires and see if I should do the same on the 997.

And nope - no track time. Strictly daily driver/commuter.
I have the DWS on my car for most driving. For DE duty, I have another set of wheels with MPSS. There is a night and day difference on grip, but the DWS have no discernible wear in 6k miles and are very quiet. Very happy with my choices, especially as the less sticky DWS do not pick up all of the small stones around my housing plan.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:46 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by StormRune
You need to re-read (or read for the first time it appears) the snippet of the CPO paperwork I included back in post 18. All of the tires must be the same age along with a few other conditions beyond tread depth.

gopirates: It is always best to exhaust possibilities like checking with PCNA first.
Mine is the same. I read it with my lawyer eyes. It says all tires must be same age, depth, brand, etc. It does not say age less than 6 years.

Then is says if the tires are replaced must meet the TSB requirements, which is where the 6 year term is referenced.

So as long as all tires the same age they pass?

I hope that makes sense, but that it "technically" the way it reads.

Also, if you read it carefully, to be CPO, the tires don't have to be N rated unless they replace them.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

Guys...
I'm not questioning what is stated on the CPO checklist....rather simply pointing out that the dealership is certifying and/or may be selling a car with aged tires that according to PCNA, are unsafe and should not be driven on (if greater that 6 years old). If it were me, I would point this out to the dealership...and/or PCNA.

Quick Reply: Tires - its always something