Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change interval 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016 | 11:35 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
You can do an oil analysis at say 5K miles and see what shape the oil's in.

Have to mention years ago after just 4K miles in my then new 2002 Boxster and driving it in the KC MO area in winter the oil had a high water contamination level.

I decided to forego the 15K mile oil change interval the factory called for and just change the oil every 5K miles. I follow the same 5K mile oil change interval with my 996 Turbo, too.

I really see no difference between your 996 and your 997 and my 986 and my Turbo engines regarding oil change intervals.

Keeping the oil reasonably fresh goes a long way to prolonging the service life of these engines. My Boxster has approx. 299,638 miles on it and it still runs as good as the day I bought it. The Turbo has over 142K miles and likewise runs just great.

I can tell you with either 0w-40 or 5w-50 (not a typo for 15w-50!) oil at around 5K miles both engines are a bit more ticky on start up and more likely to belch oil smoke on start up even though my usage is very consistent day in and day out. It is this behavior time and again that keeps me following a 5K mile oil change interval.

In the engine and engine oil combination it is the oil that is the sacrificial item. I'd rather toss some oil (recycle some oil) that maybe had some more miles on it rather than continue to run the oil and by doing so shorten the life of the engine. One can buy a heck of a lot oil for what a replacement engine costs. ($26K for my Boxster, approx. $50K for my Turbo.)

Sorry OP to divert the thread. Macster, those are impressive miles on your boxster. Original engine and IMS?

OP, I think between 3k and 5k makes the most sense. Oil analysis will help you dial in right mileage number. There are better oils than mobil 0-40 to consider as well.
Old 03-25-2016 | 02:49 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Once a year, which usually is 5k or less. I send an oil sample to Blackstone and it always comes back with recommendations to prolong the oil changes do in part that the oil additives are almost intact. BTW, I use Motul Excess 8100 5 W 40.
Old 03-25-2016 | 05:14 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Once a year, which usually is 5k or less. I send an oil sample to Blackstone and it always comes back with recommendations to prolong the oil changes do in part that the oil additives are almost intact. BTW, I use Motul Excess 8100 5 W 40.
Good news for me! I use the same oil and nearly identical intervals, so I'll skip the oil samples and just assume I'm doing the right thing.
Old 03-25-2016 | 05:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Robocop305
For some regions 5K miles between oil changes may be a bit too often.

As an aside, I drove my Turbo 10K miles once without changing the oil -- I was busy with dealing with my elderly parents and just lost track of the miles -- and the engine was fine. I could not tell by the way the engine sounded at any time, or by any other signs, the oil had double its usual miles.

But I live in a pretty benign climate. Not much humidity most of the year. Mild temperatures most of the year, only dipping to freezing once or twice during the colder months. During the hottest summer months the high temperature can get over 100F. (Actually by "hottest summer months" that includes the months between from June to October. For instance, June 29, 2009 I encountered 100F+ (up to 111F) temperatures when driving home from a car show in Palo Alto, CA.)

But this high temperature isn't as bad as it seems. Higher ambient temperatures help the oil get hot and stay hot and this works to boil out the more volatile contaminants and that's a good thing.

However, it also gets cool and damp in winter here -- even if it doesn't get blistering cold -- and while I haven't bothered with an oil analysis I know the engines run cooler in cooler weather and thus water build up is greater. So I stay with 5K mile oil/filter services.
Old 03-25-2016 | 05:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Sorry OP to divert the thread. Macster, those are impressive miles on your boxster. Original engine and IMS?

OP, I think between 3k and 5k makes the most sense. Oil analysis will help you dial in right mileage number. There are better oils than mobil 0-40 to consider as well.
Original engine and IMSB and clutch and even coils. At 300K miles -- just a few hundred miles away -- I'm going to have the coils replaced. No misfires but I figure they are "due".
Old 03-25-2016 | 05:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
For some regions 5K miles between oil changes may be a bit too often.
To be completely open, early oil changes may not be required or provide any benefit, but I do them anyway. When I used to change at 10K miles, the engine always sounded quieter. So.... I wondered at what mileage does the oil "turn". I am doing it a 7K miles now, and I think that is about the turning point. I change at 7K and I am not sure I can hear a difference. So... 7K for me.

Again, who the F knows.... but I do it anyway.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-25-2016 | 06:52 PM
j beede
Racer

As long as Mobil 1 is less than $5/quart I will keep changing my oil every 3,000 miles. For ~$80 I get fresh oil, new NAPA 7211 filter, a chance to cut and inspect the old filter, new drain plug, and fresh crush washer. I can't imagine paying hundreds for an oil change--oil and filter on a 997 is easy and convenient to do.

Last edited by j beede; 03-26-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2016 | 08:41 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
To be completely open, early oil changes may not be required or provide any benefit, but I do them anyway. When I used to change at 10K miles, the engine always sounded quieter. So.... I wondered at what mileage does the oil "turn". I am doing it a 7K miles now, and I think that is about the turning point. I change at 7K and I am not sure I can hear a difference. So... 7K for me.

Again, who the F knows.... but I do it anyway.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Mine got quieter last year after the annual 5k change before storage. I did three track days during that time which would age the oil I think. Blackstone said I could go a bit longer but the change in engine note and response was clearly noticeable. So I think I've got it down.
Old 03-25-2016 | 11:20 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Let me ponder....70k for the car $70 for an oil n filter change why wouldn't you do it at least every 5k or yearly. It takes all of 30 mins........wouldn't you like to put on clean clothes every 3 months or at least yearly??? $70 if you could.......buy a $40 jack and $30jack stands and just do it . jmo
Old 04-10-2016 | 02:11 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

While researching this, I found this very interesting thesis
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

pg.67-68 has the info, oil change interval is quantified based on driving conditions, from 3000-14000 miles interval. I now think, 5000 miles is the longest that one should go based on how I drive !!

P.S. if the link does not work, do a search on Anveshan Bommareddi thesis
Old 05-08-2016 | 09:38 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Just did the oil in my 997.2 yesterday. ~13 months and 5K miles.

BTW, for those that do it themselves, here's my oil change procedure:

- drive the car & warm up the engine
- put 2x4s in front of all four wheels in the garage and drive the car up on top of them. That gets it up off the ground a little higher whilst keeping it level. In my case it helps me slide the catch pan underneath
- open the drain plug and let it empty for ~1.5 hours
- swap oil filter whilst waiting
- reinstall plug w/ new aluminum washer. Torque to 37 lb-ft
- refill w/ 8qts of Mobil 1 (bought the 5qt jugs from Wal Mart)

Took the car for a ~15 minute drive. Get back home, check oil level... right in the middle.
Old 05-09-2016 | 12:37 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docdrs
If your storing or not driving for an extended period time in the winter it is best to change and run it before you put it away. Better to have a layer of fresh oil covering cranks,bearings etc rather than multi cycled oil with acid, water and contaminants in there over the winter

+1

Quick Reply: Oil change interval 997.2