Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:10 PM
kova4
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE Wiring Harness On Sport Chrono

New Poster

Bought a set of PSE cans for my 997.2 and I had a few questions -

1. Where is the connector in the engine bay (I read because I have the Sport Chrono Option it is already wired)
2. Is the last statement correct? Does the harness exist???
3. Do I need to go to the dealer to get the system re-programmed after the exhaust mod?

Thanks In Advance -
Old 03-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

My car came from the factory with PSE. There is a connector next to the airbox I unplugged so the exhaust would remain "open" at all times. It sounds much better to my ears open all the time as the exhaust was very quiet otherwise.

My car is a 997.1, so the sound will be a little different, but here is how my car sounds with the flap open at all times from a cold start as well as when warmed up.

I would try leaving your new exhaust open first. If it's too loud for you, then you can wire it up to work as designed

Last edited by Steve 911; 03-06-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by kova4
New Poster

Bought a set of PSE cans for my 997.2 and I had a few questions -

1. Where is the connector in the engine bay (I read because I have the Sport Chrono Option it is already wired)
2. Is the last statement correct? Does the harness exist???
3. Do I need to go to the dealer to get the system re-programmed after the exhaust mod?

Thanks In Advance -
I'm sorry to tell you it's not that easy. PM me with your email address if you are interested and I can send you the PDF with the installation instructions for the PSE. The cans are the easy part. I also installed the PSE myself and you have to run all of the new vacuum plumbing and electrical, all of the way up to the console if you want it switched and interacting with the computer.

I ran all of the proper vacuum plumbing as per the instructions and it takes some effort. Count on two or three hours for that part once you know what to do. To run the electrical is supposed to be more work, but I didn't do the proper electrical and instead ran a hardwired switch in a discrete location to control it directly. Even that isn't trivial since you have to remove some back and side trim on the inside to fish the wire through the grommet between the engine compartment and the interior.

If you decide to do it properly you have to buy a new center switch set and the wiring for the PSE. Between the vacuum parts and the electrical you are looking at a few hundred dollars to do it all correctly, a couple of hundred if you just do the vacuum part correctly with a cheap switch. You can see some minimal info about this in my post #22 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...vice-2.html#22. I don't know if any PIWIs work is needed to enable it with the factory switch, but I would think so.

If course, you can just leave it open all of the time for no additional cost or effort. You can also use an aftermarket kit that uses a key fob to do the vacuum switch, but you'll still need to do the plumbing. Fabspeed makes one such kit.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Just a follow-up in case you've already read my first post. I looked over the instructions and yes the properly electrical is a lot more work than I think most people would guess. I do a lot of DIY stuff and the amount of stuff you have to remove on the interior is pretty daunting to me. It seems odd but that is how it is.

And yes it requires a PIWIS update to enable it if properly installed.

Edit: One last note. Porsche estimates 600 TUs to do this, so that is six hours of a trained and properly equipped mechanics times.

Quick Reply: PSE Wiring Harness On Sport Chrono