Sponsored by:

Well ... This sucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an update to close out this saga.

I finally received my order from dC Automotive in NC, (999.230.541.10). The price is right at $65 for a used threaded joint vis-a-vis $125 for a new one from the dealer, but it took them a whole week to fulfill my order, and another three days to ship. They wouldn't give me a break on shipping, either (they have free shipping for all orders over $75, and charged me $14 to ship the $65 threaded joint. I just ordered some trim clips and a gas cap O-ring off a Cayenne for $10 to round out the order so I could get free shipping). Oh well.

Old on the left. New-old on the right. Of interest in this picture is the replacement had a slit in the ring that allows the clip to expand and contract (you can barely see it). The one that blew did not. Perhaps these things were one-time use only at one point, then revised so they could be reused?

There's nothing much to installation. Place the line in the threaded fitting, then drop the clip in. I used a small 1/4" socket to press the clip in until I could feel it click into the groove on the clutch line.

Make sure to put the black plastic outer clip on the line so it doesn't move. To undo the clip, and release the hose from the threaded fitting, you will press the clutch slave hose in to the threaded fitting, and use a pick to remove the clip from the inside. What a pain in the ***!

Celebratory drive to a BMW M club meet at the harbor, which was promptly shut down.

The clutch line blew out with no warning, so I'm still a little scared to drive the car, but it seems fixed.

If it blows out again, I have a more permanent fix in mind. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was nice meeting you yesterday. When you believe it's permanently fixed and feel comfortable driving it, hit me up.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah dude!

I'm still planning on doing that IL River Road rally at the end of April. Hope you and Nate can make it.

http://www.riverroadrally.com/
Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Yeah dude!

I'm still planning on doing that IL River Road rally at the end of April. Hope you and Nate can make it.

I have a 5k race that morning but maybe I can show up later.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I, too, discovered that the clutches in these things are not anything like they used to be in the air cooled cars. I could routinely go over 100,000 in a clutch with a real 911 but these things are problematic. Just a lot more going on, perhaps, or more stress. After all, we are getting serious HP out of these things. I suspect my pressure plate was failing and it ultimately took out the clutch plate as well. Also discovered a failing hydraulic slave unit. (Warranty item!).
Old 04-05-2016, 02:13 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Yeah dude!

I'm still in also with another buddy.... One of the guys who was at the harbor on Sat before Supermode NARCd on us all.

Quick Reply: Well ... This sucks