Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipes ONLY - Fabspeed v. Sharkwerks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 05:03 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default X-pipes ONLY - Fabspeed v. Sharkwerks?

Following up on my other post here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...i-give-up.html, has anyone compared the Fabspeed v. Sharkwerks x-pipes head-to-head?

Note, non-PSE car, otherwise stock exhaust. If the aim is to produce better straight-through flow by deleting the 90 degree twin-bends of the stock center muffler, the Sharkwerks one seems to me to largely do so, while the Fabspeed looks like it actually retains the twin-bend -- I took these pics off the respective manufacturer's site:

Fabspeed:

Sharkwerks

Stock

What am I missing here? Sharkwerks product also about $300 less... Are they otherwise of comparable quality and build?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:21 PM
rherring
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out post #15 in this thread. It has a really good comparison of the difference in tone of these two crossover pipes. Others will chime in on quality etc.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...ferrerid=90274

Quoted from Riley, username "rijowysock":

"Sharkworks has a deeper sound like the car is almost a v8" "Fabspeed has more of a tuner sound, (think ferrari)"

Last edited by rherring; 03-03-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I researched this issue thoroughly before deciding which way to go (I went with a bypass pipe over an X pipe) and you will find exactly the opposite sentiment expressed in different threads (that the bypass pipe is higher pitched and the x pipe lower). In fact I found more of that than those saying that the x pipe was higher. Additionally, I was swayed, like you, by the fact that the exhaust tracks were initially separate by design from Porsche and that the bypass pipes smooth out the flow whereas the x pipes have the same bends that the stock pipes do.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 887 Posts

I have the Sharkwerks.

I know one certain designs engine designs, the engine can take advantage of exhaust savaging (crossover), but I have yet to see anyone prove this on our engines. It depends on the firing order etc. However, that is the argument that you will get from the Fabspeed people.

I would like to see back-to-back dyno data but there is probably little to no performance gain from either so is comes down to two things: what sound you like and which one is lighter.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out Speed Tech. Nice craftsmanship and affordable. I have one on my 996.

http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/ast1_016.htm
Old 03-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Another option is the Billi Boat (B&B) Cross Pipes vs. the Sharkwerks and you'll save yourself ~$330.00

I bought mine from JEGS for $576 including free shipping and had them installed last week along with the Gundo Hack. Wow, what a difference!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:30 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I tried to order some supposedly in-stock tires from JEGS once, and they failed to let me know they were actually on backorder. I actually had to contact them a week later myself to learn this. Never again. Clearly not a first-rate company on my book.

No idea about which x-pipe is better, but I'm having Sharkwerks install theirs next week.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed the Speed Tech x pipe- I really like the build quality as well as the sound. I have no rattles or drone. Look into the Speed Tech as I think it is a bargain.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:17 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thx for the responses and suggestions so far - Happy to get more feedback.

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
No idea about which x-pipe is better, but I'm having Sharkwerks install theirs next week.
Let me know what you think of 'em...?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:49 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

My bypass pipes were Billy Boat brand purchased from Jegs. Fitment was tight with the PSE but it worked. Someone else with PSE couldn't get it on properly. If you have normal mufflers you shouldn't have any fitment problems. If you search there is extensive info about this, including a long conversation with myself and a rep from Sharkwerks regarding the differences between B&B and Sharkwerks bypass pipes.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:59 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
My bypass pipes were Billy Boat brand purchased from Jegs. Fitment was tight with the PSE but it worked. Someone else with PSE couldn't get it on properly. If you have normal mufflers you shouldn't have any fitment problems. If you search there is extensive info about this, including a long conversation with myself and a rep from Sharkwerks regarding the differences between B&B and Sharkwerks bypass pipes.
If you have Fister mufflers or Gundo hack, do you think it would cause fitment problems as well with the B&B bypass?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:21 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
If you search there is extensive info about this, including a long conversation with myself and a rep from Sharkwerks regarding the differences between B&B and Sharkwerks bypass pipes.
Would you mind linking to this conversation?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
If you have Fister mufflers or Gundo hack, do you think it would cause fitment problems as well with the B&B bypass?
Like I said previously, I had both the B&B pipes and the Gundo Hack done last week with absolutely no fitment problems, droning or vibration.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Like I said previously, I had both the B&B pipes and the Gundo Hack done last week with absolutely no fitment problems, droning or vibration.
Thanks for the reply. Missed your post above confirming you had it done.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:52 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Originally Posted by ATSR
No, only clearance issues with PSE since the PSE can has two outlets, one to each of the quad tailpipes. Regular exhaust only has one outlet pipe from the muffler to each set of tips.

Quick Reply: X-pipes ONLY - Fabspeed v. Sharkwerks?