Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering [edit: and exhaust] -- I give up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:27 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lowering [edit: and exhaust] -- I give up.

Ok, first, YES, I HAVE DONE SEARCHES AND READ LOTS OF THREADS.

That's the problem. This community is fantastic and the collective wisdom here is impressive. But sometimes too much info and too many opinions is about as helpful as none at all.

Techart, Billstein, H&R etc.... W/PSM/PASM.

Fabspeed, Gundo, AWE, Tubi etc.

I don't wrench my own cars, and I don't have time, money or patience to try out multiple options...

Where does one go to have a third party recommend an application for a specific car? Someone that carries/has expertise in multiple options --- Is there such a thing...?

I've got a 2010 C4S Cab, 6MT, PSM, sport, non-PSE.
Rides on Turbos in the summer and Classics in the winter.
Weekend car. No track. Just looking for a *comfortable* lower stance and a little throatier, beefier exhaust note -- maybe a tiny imaginary HP bump. Nothin crazy, obnoxious sounding or slammed looking. Something reasonable and affordable (relative to these cars...)

Help, please.

THANK YOU, in advance.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 AM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Lowering with a minimal drop will also maintain a softer ride, so I think Techart/Eibach. H&R's drop lower, and might be slightly stiffer. Since you just want it for aesthetics, no need for a full coilover system and shocks.

For a slightly more throaty exhaust, a gundo hack is the next step up from stock, most cost effective as well.

One thing to note, the reason why all the info you read is still confusing is because "slight", "minimal", "harsh" , "just like stock", etc means different things to different people. As much as you'd like for someone to give you the exact answer you're looking to hear, you're gonna have to take a risk and pick something.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Hate to say this but you're asking for more of what already has you frustrated. How best to go about the mods you want is so subjective that you're likely to get exactly as many opinions as you get responses. My signature is a good indication of what I like but you may hate all of it once installed on your car. I think your best bet is to find some fellow 997 owners with modded cars in your area and sample what they've done. You'll never sort this out asking for opinions here or elsewhere.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
Ok, first, YES, I HAVE DONE SEARCHES AND READ LOTS OF THREADS. That's the problem. Where does one go to have a third party recommend an application for a specific car? Someone that carries/has expertise in multiple options --- Is there such a thing...? I've got a 2010 C4S Cab, 6MT, PSM, sport, non-PSE.
Me too. I had never modified my cars before, wanted modest improvements, and was terrified of ruining the car i waited my whole life to get. This helped me a lot.

http://Sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...09-2012-a.html

A written set of recommendations from a shop that has and can try it all. I've done springs by TechArt, PSE, SharkWerks bipass so far and very happy.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:14 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

+1 on the SharkWerks guide, but since you indicate you do not wrench, you either need to identify Porsche indie shops locally to visit, or order the recommended parts and take those to an indie to install.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:40 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

do the cheapest thing and see if you like it, dont buy the most expensive parts just to try them out. Like I tell everybody; row or h&r springs, bypass pipe or agency power exhaust.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:54 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

That Sharkwerks guide is quite a good read. Thanks,
Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
do the cheapest thing and see if you like it, dont buy the most expensive parts just to try them out. Like I tell everybody; row or h&r springs, bypass pipe or agency power exhaust.
This.

And if it doesn't work out, stick in on the Rennlist classifieds and give RL members a deal.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:34 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

Techart or Eibach springs are always the most reasonable pricewise and most conservative solution....Techart being the "go to" for a customer who wants what you are asking for.

Check out this Cargraphic Xpipe exhaust piece...doesnt break the bank and gives you a nice sound. $1200.00

Stainless steel center silencer replacement "X" for Porsche 997 MK2
replaces original center silencer
spring loaded to absorb vibration thus preventing stress cracking and allowing thermal Expansion.
3,5KW (5PS) and 5Nm additional Torque

Developed for maximum Flow this Center Silencer Replacement "X" Versions create the following further Advantages:
- Reduced backpressure
- Reduced temperature
- Maximized performance
- Enhanced Sound
- Weight Reduction
- Lasercut machined stainless steel flanges for accurate
plain fit

We welcome any questions via PM or shoot us an email at sales@supremepower.com

Thanks and hope this helps!

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 02-27-2016, 03:11 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to go to Cars 'n' Coffee in Cherry Hill or West Chester (PA).

You need to join a local Porsche club.

You need to get referrals from people who live near you, who can start their cars for you, give you a ride (maybe let you drive) and can introduce you to an honest Indy.

You're just far enough from me (Swedesboro, NJ) for my Indy to be a haul for you. Also, you really need to hear and even feel what people suggest. So... Cars and Coffee is a good start.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:00 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

THANKS EVERYONE-- I appreciate all your responses.

Originally Posted by JCD911S
Lowering with a minimal drop will also maintain a softer ride, so I think Techart/Eibach. H&R's drop lower, and might be slightly stiffer. Since you just want it for aesthetics, no need for a full coilover system and shocks.

For a slightly more throaty exhaust, a gundo hack is the next step up from stock, most cost effective as well.

One thing to note, the reason why all the info you read is still confusing is because "slight", "minimal", "harsh" , "just like stock", etc means different things to different people. As much as you'd like for someone to give you the exact answer you're looking to hear, you're gonna have to take a risk and pick something.
Agree in large part. TechArt has been one of the most commonly recommended in my searches. No plans on doing coilovers-- overkill for my use.

And I know it's quite subjective, but I'd be a fool not to learn from the experiences of others too.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Hate to say this but you're asking for more of what already has you frustrated. How best to go about the mods you want is so subjective that you're likely to get exactly as many opinions as you get responses. ....I think your best bet is to find some fellow 997 owners with modded cars in your area and sample what they've done. You'll never sort this out asking for opinions here or elsewhere.
All true, but time and available area cars limit my ability to do this fieldwork.

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
This helped me a lot.

http://Sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...09-2012-a.html

A written set of recommendations from a shop that has and can try it all. I've done springs by TechArt, PSE, SharkWerks bipass so far and very happy.
THANK YOU. That link is excellent!! Exactly on point and frankly I am inclined to say that it resolves my exhaust and lowering questions! TechArt and Sharkwerks bypass it is! (And that's not based on this article alone, because I've seen a lot of independent recommendations for both of these solutions, but this article just really helps give a broader understanding I lacked before...)

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
+1 on the SharkWerks guide, but since you indicate you do not wrench, you either need to identify Porsche indie shops locally to visit, or order the recommended parts and take those to an indie to install.
How stupid/overpriced would it be to have local Porsche dealer do...?
Definitely looking into area indies too. I posted a query a while back about that -- have to find it again but my recollection is there were one or 2, not many. All I need is one good one though...

Originally Posted by OKB
I hear what you're saying, and have no intention of just throwing money away, but I have found that "just go with the cheapest" often ends up being a bad idea -- you spend more money and time later trying to get it right.

Originally Posted by SupremePower

Check out this Cargraphic Xpipe exhaust piece...doesnt break the bank and gives you a nice sound. $1200.00
Thanks. Interesting option. Maybe as a next step if the Sharkwerks bypass isn't enough for me, which I candidly can't imagine... But sounds like the Cargraphic X-pipe would work with it anyway.

Originally Posted by Philster
You need to go to Cars 'n' Coffee in Cherry Hill or West Chester (PA).

You need to join a local Porsche club.

You need to get referrals from people who live near you, who can start their cars for you, give you a ride (maybe let you drive) and can introduce you to an honest Indy.

You're just far enough from me (Swedesboro, NJ) for my Indy to be a haul for you. Also, you really need to hear and even feel what people suggest. So... Cars and Coffee is a good start.
I am in PCA and the local chapter. I do go to the C&Cs whenever I can, but work and kids make it tough. Will certainly go to a few more this spring. Maybe see you around at one! ...Who's your indie...?

Last edited by jsalah; 02-27-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:40 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

The consensus seems to be Techarts are just 2x more expensive Eibachs. So not sure why anyone would choose this option
Old 02-27-2016, 08:20 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Eibachs and Fister FD works great for me on Vermont 997 with mountain twisties. RS mounts, FUCHS/Mich PS2's also.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone's goals are different. First you have to ask yourself what do you do with the car, what do you want it to do
Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

You are fortunate that you live around a bunch of really knowledgeable and good indys and tuning shops. Some will consult, others will consult and sell you their products. You got a lot of learnin' to do. I recommend you take a drive to one of these... others here can make a few recommendations.... and just stop in and talk to them.

These guys are serious shops and sell their own stuff:

http://www.awe-tuning.com/
http://www.fabspeed.com/

I recommend Bill Boys a great indy in Pheonixville.... honest and will tell you what his gear-head customers are running... and he can do the work.

http://www.possumhollowmotorsports.com/

There are others.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Lowering [edit: and exhaust] -- I give up.