Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cosmo Racing Short Shifter Kit - Your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:38 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cosmo Racing Short Shifter Kit - Your opinion?

Hi All,

Have been looking into SSK and there seems to be a range of products in the market ranging from $100 to $800.

Obviously, but not always, a more expensive product is necessarily better. I've heard of stories from my buddy who ships stuff to Japan...they hike up the prices and their sales increased cause buyers equate price to quality.

Now...the Cosmo Racing SSK is $100, reviews online are pretty decent but not many from 911 drivers.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-04-2016, 05:15 PM
chokeu2
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be curious about this too.
I've been looking around as well; and would appreciate a shorter throw, to go along with a new lighter flywheel.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

A search here will find more than a few discussions on ssk. Me, I've installed ssk on my cars only to take them out after a short time. But these were cars annually running 10-12 days of DEs. IMO, the extra effort needed to shift far outweighed any reduction in throw.

To your original question, $100 for a quality ssk is too good to be true.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

IMO? The shifter is nothing more than a lever mechanism. The way a lever works, the shorter the lever, the greater the force required to move the other end the same amount. When you shorten the throw you increase the effort. The work required remains the same. It might feel faster, but its not. It does however require more effort. Probably won't matter to many guys, but I had a friends wife complain about how hard it was after hubby installed one of these. Apparently neither one of them had any idea that a shorter shift necessarily means a harder shift. They are not alone. Hardly anyone seems to get that its nothing more than a shorter lever. A short shift kit is on the really short list of nonsensical things to do to your car.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
IMO? The shifter is nothing more than a lever mechanism. The way a lever works, the shorter the lever, the greater the force required to move the other end the same amount. When you shorten the throw you increase the effort. The work required remains the same. It might feel faster, but its not. It does however require more effort. Probably won't matter to many guys, but I had a friends wife complain about how hard it was after hubby installed one of these. Apparently neither one of them had any idea that a shorter shift necessarily means a harder shift. They are not alone. Hardly anyone seems to get that its nothing more than a shorter lever. A short shift kit is on the really short list of nonsensical things to do to your car.
I agree. However there are other reasons such as better feel. The Numeric kit I installed is all metal with ball bearing pivots and has three positions so you can choose if you want a short throw or not. Your choice.

Not at all essential but a fun project and I experience the mod with each shift.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-04-2016, 10:31 PM
soontobe
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Cosmo shifter in my 996 and it was great. I just bought one for my 997.1 from Cosmo as well. Great product you wont be disappointed. Great feel and does take some getting used too.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That Cosmo is just a small component of the overall shifter assembly. I guess if a short shifter is all you want, then I guess this would work. But this is not a simple substitute for a more complete system like the Numeric so you are comparing apples to oranges here. There is a big difference in product from that 100-800 you noted.

http://numericracing.com/store/#!/Co...458/category=0
http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=271&pid=1595

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The unit looks like a B&M knock off.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Bruce.

Question though, do I have to replace the entire shifter assembly similar to the one sold by Numeric or can one achieve short-throw shifting by using the Cosmo components as a replacement for the stock shifter?

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
That Cosmo is just a small component of the overall shifter assembly. I guess if a short shifter is all you want, then I guess this would work. But this is not a simple substitute for a more complete system like the Numeric so you are comparing apples to oranges here. There is a big difference in product from that 100-800 you noted.

http://numericracing.com/store/#!/Co...458/category=0
http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=271&pid=1595

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Thanks for the clarification Bruce.

Question though, do I have to replace the entire shifter assembly similar to the one sold by Numeric or can one achieve short-throw shifting by using the Cosmo components as a replacement for the stock shifter?
I can't answer that, someone who put one in must respond.

I do recommend you drive one with a short shifter. I did and there is no way I would want one. I understand I am in a minority on this, but I found a short shifter annoying as all heck for no value to me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Cosmo Racing Short Shifter Kit - Your opinion?