Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS solution, LN oil filter adapter and even non-Porsche approved oil VOID warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by jchapura
Thanks Pete for sharing.

Can you recall seeing a DT40 analysis that might show how long the oil is good for under a certain set of circumstances (summer in NC, daily driver, xxxx miles put on over 4 months, etc., etc.)?
I don't put enough miles on them to be able to spec that kind of use accuracy or limitation, but this data point is in a DD from mid-June to mid-December in SC and looks fine. I'll run the sample that's in the car now for 5,000 miles and we'll see what it looks like - hoping for the same high Flashpoint, high viscosity readings, and high levels of Zinc & Phosphorus.

I should have a sample from my supercharged 997 in a couple months for comparison to see how forced induction, more spirited driving, and higher RPMs effect the #s. That car has a 2L deep sump in it too, so not an exact comparison but should still be another good data point.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:26 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

so if there is more stuff getting into the engine since the K&N, I would assume that will be replaced with the stock filter ASAP, since it doesn't add any HP anyways?

Can anyone compare how much better the DT40 is based on this data? I am not familiar enough to know
Old 01-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My point was that the silica levels don't show any more junk getting into the oil with the K&N than average samples provided by Blackstone for comparison. I've run my car (not this one) with the stock airbox and stock filter, the stock airbox and a K&N filter, and the Fabspeed J-Pipe and the best performance (better throttle response, better top end, etc) is with the Fabspeed setup. Once I converted my RUF fixed-wing spoiler to be active Aero with hydraulics, I couldn't use the stock airbox anyway (no space for the hydraulics down the sides) so it's either this or an Evoms from here forward, so I'm glad the car runs the best with these higher flowing intakes.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:40 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

While on the topic of oil. My first oil change since I have now put 2800 miles on it since then. Using 5-40 motul excess. The indicator is smack dead in the middle which means I am using about .6L per 3000 miles. I drive 80+% of my miles on city streets and not freeway

my research seems to indicate that this is pretty good (as some people go through and it is acceptable to go through up to 1L per 1000 miles)?

Seems like the biggest concern if one of burning or using a lot of oil is bore scoring?

at 4,000 I will change and blackstone it. Since I still have "enough" oil, should I "top it off" or just leave it til next oil change?

tia
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
While on the topic of oil. My first oil change since I have now put 2800 miles on it since then. Using 5-40 motul excess. The indicator is smack dead in the middle which means I am using about .6L per 3000 miles. I drive 80+% of my miles on city streets and not freeway

my research seems to indicate that this is pretty good (as some people go through and it is acceptable to go through up to 1L per 1000 miles)?

Seems like the biggest concern if one of burning or using a lot of oil is bore scoring?

at 4,000 I will change and blackstone it. Since I still have "enough" oil, should I "top it off" or just leave it til next oil change?

tia
The distance between the major lines is supposed to be about 0.4L. I would add 0.25L and then check the level for the next couple days. You're better off where you are than overfull (all the way up the gauge) but to the top line is the ideal level. Since you have about 1,000 miles to go until your next oil change, you may drop down 1 more major line between now and then, which is a not terrible, but a little too low. That's why I say top up a little now to get back to the top line (not full gauge) and that will probably see you through for the next 1,000 miles until the change.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:33 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
The distance between the major lines is supposed to be about 0.4L. I would add 0.25L and then check the level for the next couple days. You're better off where you are than overfull (all the way up the gauge) but to the top line is the ideal level. Since you have about 1,000 miles to go until your next oil change, you may drop down 1 more major line between now and then, which is a not terrible, but a little too low. That's why I say top up a little now to get back to the top line (not full gauge) and that will probably see you through for the next 1,000 miles until the change.
I guess the main reason I ask is there could be 2 ways of thinking here.

1. don't top it off and see exactly how much oil is consumed in exactly 4,000 miles (which may not matter, since I may already have a large enough sample size to determine that I am not burning an abnormal amount of oil)? This would also give blackstone a more accurate reading as it wouldn't be adding some fresh oil to the content

VS

2. Top it off for the good of the engine having more oil and adding a little bit of "fresh" oil could maybe do the engine a little good as well.

I am kind of leaning towards #1 to see how much more is consumed and also to send a more accurate sample to blackstone
Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 AM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warranty

Originally Posted by rodH
was talking to a mechanic buddy of mine (non-Porsche, just shop talk) and we were talking about the IMS situation. Of course he knew nothing about it (not being involved with Porsche) but as I was talking to him about my options, I also happened to mention that I have a 3rd party warranty that still lasts until the end of 2019. He all of the sudden got real serious and said that I may want to be careful before doing any aftermarket parts to the engine, because if something did happen to it, a non-OEM part would just give the warranty company a reason to deny the claim. Then later I was thinking that even using the LN engineering oil filter thread-on adapter and a different type of oil filter could potentially be a reason to deny, and maybe even magnetic oil pan nut?

I guess now I need to rethink having the IMS solution installed until maybe just before the warranty is expired, and even wonder if even using some good preventative measures may be an “issue”. Come to think of it, the Joe Gibbs Racing oil DT40 is not a Porsche Approved product, so that may not be happening for a while now either.

Anyone familiar with this type of situation? It would really stink to have an extended warranty and while trying to prevent future problems, void my warranty and then have it bite me in the butt later.

I think the insurance company will attempt to deny if they think they have a large probability of success. However I believe this law applies?

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Quick Reply: IMS solution, LN oil filter adapter and even non-Porsche approved oil VOID warranty?