Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one that hates cabriolets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:56 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Back in the day all sports cars were convertibles!

Tom
This.. I always thing of Triumphs, MG's, Cobras, etc. And open top is what I picture.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I am really hoping OP was trying to be humorous with this post. If so, fine, some people like them and some don't. Otherwise I would have to ask who would be so insecure as to ask this question?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:56 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Pushing one button and waiting 20 seconds for the top to lower and the windows to lower is a serious pain in the rear....

11 seconds
Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan GSR
I hate all cab 911s. Am I the only one?
It's clear that many love the 911 shape. It's been around since 1963. However, over the decades, the cabriolet has been making a significant dent upon sales of the 911/Carrera. It's now surpassed the 50% mark. A cabriolet gives you a lot of options. A coupe is a bit of a constraint.

Perhaps you've never driven a 997 cab? When the canvas top is up you have a very clear rear glass window. When the top is down you have no obstructions at all--you have infinitely more visibility than a coupe. Even with the optional hardtop in place, the 997 has a bigger rear window than the coupe.

The biggest issue for me is climate. I wouldn't own a cabriolet if I couldn't use the top down mode very often. However, being on the American Riviera, I can leave the top down for months at a time. If I lived in New York City I would probably not have one either.

Keep in mind that the very first "Porsche" was an open air roadster. That roadster was the prototype for all Porsches to come. It wasn't until the development of the "Gmünd Coupe" that Porsche finally had a coupe in the lineup.

I was a coupe guy for many years. However, I have come to discover how much I missed for all of those years. Freshly mowed hay along the roadway? You won't notice that in a buttoned up coupe until you are long past it. Hills of lavender fields? Looks like low scrub in a coupe. In a cabriolet you know it's lavender.

Weather too severe for a cab? Either move, or order the optional hardtop. I'm really happy to have a 997 because Porsche dropped their optional hardtops from the 991 version of the car. The hardtop goes on in about 5 minutes, and makes the cab a coupe. It comes off equally as quick. The hardtop option weighs 73 lbs. It's made of aluminum and glass.

Of course, it's a lot easier to enjoy the cabriolet when the weather is outstanding and you have a super model next to you. Look at the flexibility a cabriolet provides!
Attached Images     
Old 02-29-2016, 09:31 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's clear that many love the 911 shape. It's been around since 1963. However, over the decades, the cabriolet has been making a significant dent upon sales of the 911/Carrera. It's now surpassed the 50% mark. A cabriolet gives you a lot of options. A coupe is a bit of a constraint.

Perhaps you've never driven a 997 cab? When the canvas top is up you have a very clear rear glass window. When the top is down you have no obstructions at all--you have infinitely more visibility than a coupe. Even with the optional hardtop in place, the 997 has a bigger rear window than the coupe.

The biggest issue for me is climate. I wouldn't own a cabriolet if I couldn't use the top down mode very often. However, being on the American Riviera, I can leave the top down for months at a time. If I lived in New York City I would probably not have one either.

Keep in mind that the very first "Porsche" was an open air roadster. That roadster was the prototype for all Porsches to come. It wasn't until the development of the "Gmünd Coupe" that Porsche finally had a coupe in the lineup.

I was a coupe guy for many years. However, I have come to discover how much I missed for all of those years. Freshly mowed hay along the roadway? You won't notice that in a buttoned up coupe until you are long past it. Hills of lavender fields? Looks like low scrub in a coupe. In a cabriolet you know it's lavender.

Weather too severe for a cab? Either move, or order the optional hardtop. I'm really happy to have a 997 because Porsche dropped their optional hardtops from the 991 version of the car. The hardtop goes on in about 5 minutes, and makes the cab a coupe. It comes off equally as quick. The hardtop option weighs 73 lbs. It's made of aluminum and glass.

Of course, it's a lot easier to enjoy the cabriolet when the weather is outstanding and you have a super model next to you. Look at the flexibility a cabriolet provides!
Beautiful.....Your cab should answer the OP's question...and then some.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

The fun starts when her top comes down!

My daily is a e46 M3 coupe and having owned 911 coupes in the past my conclusion is that the visceral experience of a cabriolet exceeds what you get out of a coupe.
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
11 seconds
That's it? I knew it was fast. I have the SmartTop module installed, so it's one touch up and down.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Would there be more mass in a hardtop convertible versus a coupe?
T
Yes.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:14 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Nice pictures. Where do you store the hardtop when not in use? I like that option.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:42 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i have no doubt that you get the fun of a cab, + more sound
i personally love s2000s
but for ANY 911, regardless of generation. I think the cab is UGLY
Old 03-01-2016, 01:11 AM
911grizzly
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In the beginning, Ferry Porsche designed a coupe, which evolved into the 911 coupe - the iconic sports car of all time. Later, Porsche designed a modern spyder, or cabriolet, currently known as the Boxster. And thus it shall always be, for the purist.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:28 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Would there be more mass in a hardtop convertible versus a coupe?
T
Yes. And yes again.

First yes, because the convertible weighs more than the coupe. To read some of the comments here you'd think people believe the only reason they make a coupe at all is to punish people by blocking them from reveling in the glories of nature. In fact the main benefit of the coupe is structural. Its pillars form arches, naturally much stronger than the same shape without the roof. The inherently weaker shape requires reinforcements that add weight.

Second yes, even bigger than the first, adding a hard top to the convertible increases weight even more. Same reason, only in this case its the attachment points that need to be beefed up.

Its just an awful thing to do to a car. Although, I'm reminded just now that as awful as it is for driving, it also can be awfully photogenic. Who's the one with the avatar "Good looking/intelligent/emotionally stable: pick two"? Like that.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:16 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

^ Hmm. Learn something new every day. Thanks folks...T
Old 03-01-2016, 09:30 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Cabriolet ++
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sunny and low 90's here all week. Any warmer and the top will have to go up.

It's nice to have options...

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that hates cabriolets?