Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Mazda=Honda =lawn mower
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
Given the OP was asking about 997.2 cars, I will remind everyone that 997.2 base and S cars have the same size brakes, just painted a different color.

For 997.2:
" Among the added features are even more potent brakes than before. Porsche engineers firmly believe that a car's deceleration ability must always out-perform its ability to accelerate. Commensurate with the gains in engine performance, the 2009 911 Carrera Coupe and Carrera S Coupe receive added braking capability. All four brake rotors on both cars are cross-drilled, inner vented and now 12.99 inches (330 mm) in diameter.
In addition, the monobloc, four-piston calipers are now the same as those used on the 911 Turbo. Critical refinements have been made to the airflow around the wheels to increase brake cooling all around as well.
Finally, the 911 Carrera Coupe and Carrera S Coupe are equipped with the same brake pre-filling feature previously used only on Porsche's all-wheel-drive models. If the driver lifts his foot suddenly from the gas pedal, the system assumes he is preparing to brake hard. In that instance, hydraulic fluid automatically sets the caliper pistons against the rotors, decreasing reaction time and braking distance."

This is incorrect. The brake calipers are a totally different design on the S as the thread linked below clearly illustrates, pictures and all. They are larger and use larger pads as well when compared to the smaller base brakes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ke-rotors.html

Furthermore, the brake discs are different between the two as well with the front discs on the S using thicker brake discs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...but-which.html

While I understand that you are proud of your decision to purchase a base car you should not clutter the board with misinformation in support of this.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:20 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
A couple other points. Remember, there is always a bigger tool in someone else's shed driving a Miata and a 450 hp rx7 and making fun of Honda fan boys is a bit ironic. It's kind of like Chevy people making fun of fords. In the end, they are all the same people just picked different sides to be wrong about.

Oh, for the record. Much rather have an s2000 than a Miata and much rather have an NSX than the POS rotary in the rx7, not matter how much HP.

Honda>Mazda
Wait, what?

I think you missed the point of my post: the point being that it is not all about hp but about the car itself and how it drives and handles and what you do with it. I have owned an S2000 but to be honest, it was not the car for me. I would say that I am a BMW and Mazda fanboy (and now Porsche) as I like the way they drive. I have nothing against Hondas and got plenty of respect in my FD from that crowd. However, the point was that I didn't care as the track ready Miata was the most fun of all of them.

Anyway, back on subject, the hp of the car matters less than how you drive it and how it is set up.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-29-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I took my Base C2 Cab out today for a good hour of spirited driving in some nice 63 degree weather. It was nothing short of magical. Yeah, I could have gotten an S,or GTS which means it would just mean more temptations and increased likelihood I'll get a ticket I will regret getting.

A 911 is still a 911, so just drive it as well as you can for your skill level and enjoy every minute of it.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

My 997.2 was a base car, and for me it was an economic decision. At the time my budget didn't stretch the extra $10k or so to an S model. And, you know, I never missed it behind the wheel. The base car is so awesomely capable on road that it's really hard to make the case for more unless you're on track.

The only time that I had S envy was in looks. I preferred quad exhausts vs oval and the 19" wheels vs 18". So I changed them over time.

But what it boils down to is, if you're the type who would get the base car and always feel like you compromised then just get the S. I never had that with a Porsche. It's a freaking 911 after all!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:03 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For me, it is difficult to purchase a base anything knowing that for just a "little more", I could get the higher model. Even with the GTS, I find myself lamenting not stretching just "a little more still" to get a GT3. I think the GT3's wing saved me from that purchase, which for me, probably wouldn't have been the wisest financially. I'd be self conscious driving around town with the the GT3 wing''s attention grabbing looks which is why the 911R scares me. Thank goodness That car is probably priced well beyond my reach and besides; they'll be sold out to 918 owners before being even the most remote option. The next best thing for me, might end up being a GT4. For now though, I'm thoroughly enjoying the GTS.

Last edited by love2drive; 02-29-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh no, let's not turn this into Miata (or BRZ) talk. So F'n tired of hearing about those cars. Ok, I get it, they are fun to drive in a canyon, but they are freaking slower than 1/2 the SUVs and minivans out there.

Just get an S2000, boxster/caymen and at least have "fun driving the canyon" while not getting smoked by a minivan off the line.
A couple other points. Remember, there is always a bigger tool in someone else's shed driving a Miata and a 450 hp rx7 and making fun of Honda fan boys is a bit ironic. It's kind of like Chevy people making fun of fords. In the end, they are all the same people just picked different sides to be wrong about.

Oh, for the record. Much rather have an s2000 than a Miata and much rather have an NSX than the POS rotary in the rx7, not matter how much HP.

Honda>Mazda
Originally Posted by WV997S
Mazda=Honda =lawn mower
Go drive an S2000 or an NSX, much better than a lawn mower.

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
This is incorrect. The brake calipers are a totally different design on the S as the thread linked below clearly illustrates, pictures and all. They are larger and use larger pads as well when compared to the smaller base brakes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ke-rotors.html

Furthermore, the brake discs are different between the two as well with the front discs on the S using thicker brake discs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...but-which.html

While I understand that you are proud of your decision to purchase a base car you should not clutter the board with misinformation in support of this.
Sorry, I stand corrected. The rotors are the same size but the calipers and pads are different.

I'm still proud of my decision to get a base car and it accelerates and brakes sufficient for my needs.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry, I stand corrected. The rotors are the same size but the calipers and pads are different.

I'm still proud of my decision to get a base car and it accelerates and brakes sufficient for my needs.
Actually somebody posted pics recently and even the rotors are different... sorry bud...
Old 02-29-2016, 08:56 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Actually somebody posted pics recently and even the rotors are different... sorry bud...
Did you mean to come across that douchey?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:57 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
If he is anything like me it probably comes naturally to him.

Blu: base brakes or not, the car still outstops almost any other car on the road and, along with the acceleration, is more than sufficient for the street regardless of the trim level.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a base 997.2 last year, and do not regret it one bit
I tried drag racing against my buddies 997.2 C4S , as long as he doesn't use launch control. I'm within a car length

I say ignore the engine size, get it if the price is right, color is what you want, and the PPI comes up clean. Don't buy a S , just to have a S. I rather a low mileage well kept base, than a beat up S
Old 03-01-2016, 02:18 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Ok, the rear rotors are the exact same part number but the fronts are different. I'm kind of embarrassed that I posted wrong info not once but twice... I try not to be that guy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Lol, tough to gauge sarcasm or doucheyness on an internet forum.

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
If he is anything like me it probably comes naturally to him.

Blu: base brakes or not, the car still outstops almost any other car on the road and, along with the acceleration, is more than sufficient for the street regardless of the trim level.
Agreed, thanks.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

No thanks, will stick with my John Deere....maybe it should be John Deere>Honda.

In all seriousness, I just have fun on forums and I am sure those are good cars, but when I hear Honda and performance car I picture a Civic with wire wheels and a 4 foot spoiler. I probably would enjoy either cars you mentioned.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by WV997S
No thanks, will stick with my John Deere....maybe it should be John Deere>Honda.

In all seriousness, I just have fun on forums and I am sure those are good cars, but when I hear Honda and performance car I picture a Civic with wire wheels and a 4 foot spoiler. I probably would enjoy either cars you mentioned.
Reminds me of people who say the 911 is just a nice VW Bug. Do some research on Honda, NSX, S2000, Ayrton Senna, Alex Zenardi. Honda is actually an engine manufacture and motorcycle company that eventually went into the auto industry. They also happen to have a much more successful racing pedigree at the highest levels of racing (aka-Formula1) than Porsche and many others.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Reminds me of people who say the 911 is just a nice VW Bug. Do some research on Honda, NSX, S2000, Ayrton Senna, Alex Zenardi. Honda is actually an engine manufacture and motorcycle company that eventually went into the auto industry. They also happen to have a much more successful racing pedigree at the highest levels of racing (aka-Formula1) than Porsche and many others.
But only one Japanese manufacturer has ever won Le Mans outright (albeit with a crappy rotary)

Quick Reply: Crazy for considering a non s carrera?