Sponsored by:

PPI Over-Rev Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Default PPI Over-Rev Report

I am looking at a 2011 C4S, 14,000 miles and PDK. The PPI was done today and the car looks very good, only suffering from a lack of routine service over it's six year life span.

One question for this group is the DME Over-Rev report. I did a search and tried my best to understand what this means and if there is an issue here. Particularly as this is a PDK car.

Anything to be concerned about here?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Scan.pdf (161.8 KB, 348 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Cream
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I would expect some 1's , but not the 2's.

My understanding has always been it's impossible to overrev a PDK , it will not let you select a gear if it's above redline for that gear.

The 1's should be nothing to worry about, probably just bouncing off the rev limiter. The 2's are extremely small time in that range.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

No need to worry of ranges 1 or 2. I would be more worried of the lack of routine maintenance. That means that the previous owner didn't take good care of the car, so it opens the door for problems in other areas.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:11 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,825 Likes on 887 Posts

No routine maintenance? Most people take better care of their lawn mowers. I would walk away unless he was giving it to you.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree over revs not a concern.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

define 'lack of routine maintenance'...

dealer sale? are they cpo-ing the car?

over revs no prob, as others have said
Old 02-24-2016, 11:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Those are rev limiter ignition locks. And a very low number too. No issues.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:27 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

My concern was the Over Rev report as it is foreign to me. My 993 has nothing like this of course. If you guys are interpreting this as not an issue that's good news.

The car is a private sale, not a CPO car. The owner owns a couple of car dealerships in the NE and this is one of his many cars. He says the engine oil was changed three or four times since he owned it but by his dealership guys so no records. I doubt anything else was done.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:27 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Maybe the previous owner did his own maintenance. I would find out the facts. No problem with the DME report. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 AM
Troy997.1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, in think the report you attached refers to what range of over rev the car has had not the gear. Over revs 1-3 are normal is the 5-6 range that can cause damage to the car.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy997.1
Mike, in think the report you attached refers to what range of over rev the car has had not the gear. Over revs 1-3 are normal is the 5-6 range that can cause damage to the car.
Umm... no...

Over revs in all gears can be damaging. A number of over revs in a particular gear can fall within a range which can help you infer that it was a run UP to the redline/limiter. Ok... so no big deal then. But this is inferred. Now... the over revs can help you infer this: You could downshift into 2nd, trigger siginificant overrevs through your dumb move, have them be extreme enough to cause immediate or delayed engine damage. When this is a possibility, you really need to start digging for damage that is going to get worse, but is somewhat hidden right now. Someone looking at over revs is looking to reveal blow downshifts, which can be damaging.

Down a mountain at 190 MPH in 6th gear could over rev the engine... but seriously...

This is a PDK car. If the trans is working properly, the PDK ain't letting anyone execute a money shift. Actually, when dowshifting a PDK, you're merely giving PDK the option to downshift. It's still the one making it happen; you're merely giving it the option.

PDK in this case really means: Expend your energy worrying about how this car was somewhat neglected.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
I am looking at a 2011 C4S, 14,000 miles and PDK. The PPI was done today and the car looks very good, only suffering from a lack of routine service over it's six year life span.

One question for this group is the DME Over-Rev report. I did a search and tried my best to understand what this means and if there is an issue here. Particularly as this is a PDK car.

Anything to be concerned about here?
The #2 over revs occurred around the 247 hour mark. The total engine run time now is over 400 hours.

As long as the engine runs with no signs of any issues, I'd not worry about the #2 over revs.

Speaking of any engine issues: Did you get an approx. 15 mile test ride then a 15 mile test drive in which you got to experience the car in its natural state with the engine running and the car being used/driven as you intend to use/drive it?

If the car passes a thorough on the road test with flying colors and a follow-up PPI to make sure it is not showing any signs of any issues like a leak somewhere the only concern I would have is lack of routine maintenance.

No oil changes? No brake fluid flush/bleeds? No spark plugs?

You would be facing some expense to bring the car's servcing up to snuff assuming you are comfortable buying a car that has no routine servicing for the 5 years and 14K miles.

If you decide to buy the car, your offer should reflect the servicing the car needs.

Quick Reply: PPI Over-Rev Report