Sponsored by:

New 997 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 997 Owner

Hope this is the expected place for a post like this...

I just bought a 2005 997. Haven't taken delivery yet (it's being shipped). I'm pretty sure it's a .1 not a .2. Super excited as I've always loved/wanted 911's.

First, a little personal background: I'm a male software engineer in my late 40's. I have some experience with cars of all types and configurations. Some of my previous "sport" vehicles for reference are, in no particular order: Lotus Elise, Mini Cooper S, Audi S4, 350Z, WRX. For what it's worth, I also have about 12 years of track experience (this may be somewhat relevant in a second), including racing 944spec in NASA, Midwest region.

So for those who haven't died of boredom so far, I have a few questions. Since I intend to track the car, it looks like I should get the optional 3rd radiator? My other immediate concern is brakes. With the exception of the Elise, every car I've ever driven on track has needed a brake upgrade. It looks like the C2S brakes are bigger? Will they bolt right up to mine? Or are my concerns unwarranted?

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you need the expanded and better baffled oil sump/pan mod, too, to prevent oil starvation.

BTW: 997.2 is 2009 and later, with DFI engine.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:25 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

did you get a C2S or just a regular C2? if 2005 then it's a 997.1
i would say the car stock is fine for track usage, i'd just change out the brake fluid and brake lines and you're set. witnessed a bunch of 997s going around the track just fine at a good B pace even with stocker tires
Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by r6elmo
did you get a C2S or just a regular C2?
It's a standard C2. No S.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by Philster
I think you need the expanded and better baffled oil sump/pan mod, too, to prevent oil starvation.
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought it was a hybrid system and starvation wasn't an issue. Confirmed kills anywhere?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome!

There's a lot of threads on the topic of "track-proofing" 997.1s.

Unfortunately, our M96s are from a time when the bean counters had larger megaphones than the engineers. There are a few weaknesses that present themselves on the track. Lack of additional scavenge pumps, a failure-prone air-oil separator, lack of adequate baffling around the oil pickup in the sump, etc.

Third radiator and extended oil pans with additional capacity are a great start, but yeah, these motors have oil control issues.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

What it needs for the track is: nothing. Nothing if you keep to street tires and drive with the PCA Driver Ed philosophy of the goal being to learn how it handles and master it. Otherwise, if you come at it from the typical point of view of going faster and faster, well then with your racing experience you already know what it needs: everything. To infinity, and beyond.

At this point I'm reminded of the Zec in Jack Reacher. "Always the bullet…. I don't understand."
Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on your new ride! Great cars! Lot of treads on track upgrades for the M96 engines. Deep sump oil pan by Mantis Racing is a great race proven product. Motul Xcess oil or competive brand also good insurance. The base 997 has a good factory brake setup. Just go with a different compound pad if you want more track brake power. Have fun with it at the track. They are a blast.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Welcome!
Third radiator and extended oil pans with additional capacity are a great start, but yeah, these motors have oil control issues.
Thanks. I've got the 3rd radiator kit in my cart on pelicanparts.

Originally Posted by chuck911
you already know what it needs: everything. To infinity, and beyond.
Weeeellllll....not quite everything. I'm not really about faster and faster. I'm fine with slow(er) speeds. What I want is reliability, consistency and safety. But I understand what you mean.

Originally Posted by Hi-Arc
Deep sump oil pan by Mantis Racing is a great race proven product. Motul Xcess oil or competive brand also good insurance. The base 997 has a good factory brake setup. Just go with a different compound pad if you want more track brake power.
Thanks. Sounds like good info. I'll have to see about the brakes. At just under 3100 lbs, I would think they're fine -- at least for lower speed tracks.

Thanks everyone. Still waiting on it. Should be here by Friday. Absolutely cannot wait!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

traditional Rennlist response to OP, its not real until you post pics of your new car.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:26 AM
Troy997.1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes is all I can say they get hot
Old 02-25-2016, 08:34 AM
TM_Corey
Instructor

I've had my '10 C2S a little over a week. The first time I stopped for gas two different people took pics of it. It's fun to drive and just stand next to and look at....awesome cars. You will love it.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by fbfisher
traditional Rennlist response to OP, its not real until you post pics of your new car.
OK, just a couple in my driveway. Pretty dreary out.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

I drove it for about 2 hours last night. I waited far too long for this car. It's pretty amazing. I think the gear box is probably the best I've ever driven. So wonderfully mechanical and light. The suspension is perfect. The engine sounds like everything was made with a fault tolerance of zero. There are a couple of body squeaks and rattles, but it does have 60K miles. I can't wait to see what it's like on track.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice looking car. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: New 997 Owner