Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED tail light conversions. What kind did you go with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
There are exactly zero markings on the rear LED lights from Del Rey. There may be some on the bezel on the back of the lens, but that requires disassembly.

There are many markings on the front 991 LED lights however.
Zero? wow.. that doesn't seem right. See photo from jhbrennan, as it should be in that area if it's Depo.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AltVelo
What MY is your 911? No issues? Does your have a separate resister pack?

thanks!
This particular picture was from my 2008 turbo - purchased from:

carlightpro.com.

High-priced vendor though. They came with resistor boxes - if you watch their install video you can see what they look like. The newer versions (ones I purchased from FVD) have smaller resistor boxes already attached to the back of the lights. Never had any issues - no warning lights, no burned out LED's, easy install - great addition in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
This particular picture was from my 2008 turbo - purchased from:

carlightpro.com.

High-priced vendor though. They came with resistor boxes - if you watch their install video you can see what they look like. The newer versions (ones I purchased from FVD) have smaller resistor boxes already attached to the back of the lights. Never had any issues - no warning lights, no burned out LED's, easy install - great addition in my opinion.
Mines is an 06 and I read more issue encountered with earlier 911 like the 05-06. Good to hear no issue though!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:42 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AltVelo
Zero? wow.. that doesn't seem right. See photo from jhbrennan, as it should be in that area if it's Depo.
Didn't open the lid to see that area...I assume there would be info located similar to the headlights. I'll check again!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

.......and still no markings!

I do recall markings on the backside of the lamps.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Never did figure out who makes the Del Rey product but I don't think it was Depo. Depo lights do not re-use the OEM wiring harness and bulb sockets while the Del Rey product (and others) do use the OEM wiring harness and bulb sockets.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Del Ray = Xtune Power/Spyder. It is really obvious if you look at the LED placement and construction of both. At one point Del Ray claimed that they have a higher quality version than what is sold on Ebay..I dunno.

There is nothing wrong from a quality perspective with the Spyder lights. Some of them have issues, just like some of the Depo ones do. It is unfortunately luck of the draw although it seems that quality across the board has improved in the past 1-1.5 years. It really comes down to cosmetics and your preferences. More people prefer Depo which appears to have kept market pricing higher than the "spyder" tails.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM
AltVelo
Racer

I went with Depo's. Very straight foward and easy installs. Truly plug and play! No check light, rear fogs work and resistor boxes are part of the assembly. There wasn't a tab for the connector like the stock housing but I don't think it's an issue.

Just 3 tools needed, torx, phillips and small flat head to unlock connector.

The part markings are on the edge where it meet to hood.

Oh and I discovered by back up hood release cable too. That's an ideal place? So break lamp to get to it?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by AltVelo; 05-17-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:50 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To reach that release you are are supposed to fish in a steel wire/hook or something. I don't see how you can do that without risking major scratches to the bumper or damaging the tailight, but who knows...
Old 05-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx
To reach that release you are are supposed to fish in a steel wire/hook or something. I don't see how you can do that without risking major scratches to the bumper or damaging the tailight, but who knows...
I think you're supposed to access the wire from below, fishing the hook up through the scalding hot exhaust system, grabbing the wire and pulling to release the catch.

Quick Reply: LED tail light conversions. What kind did you go with?