Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 yr pdk clutch oil change experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016 | 09:06 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Default 6 yr pdk clutch oil change experience

This is now fairly common with the 997.2 since the 09's and 10's need to have this done. Had the local dealer do mine after the change, it first felt the same then it started feeling rough And i could feel the shift. Plus there was more noise in the drivetrain. I just felt there was something wrong with the unit. We all know how critical the pdk is as three are no repairs. Us to ullage emplacements. i then told my dealer myself utter is feeling something worng and wanted them to recheck the level of the fluids. tHiwas after more than a week of driving the car. we we're able to add about 300ml more of the pdk fluid in the clutch !!
Been driving her for a few days and I could say there was a marked improvement over the previous fill and if I could dare say even better than when the pdk had the original fill.
i did notic, however,that there was a a new part number for the clutch oil and a new brand. It was pentosin before, now its borg Warner
Old 02-10-2016 | 02:05 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Just curious ...

How many oil changes has your dealer done?

Any explanation on how the oil was low?

Any flush procedure when changing oil type?

Anything I'm missing in the above?

I'm glad you got the oil change and the fix. I did not see much change (no change) on behavior after mine was changed. It's not quite like changing oil in the MT.
Old 02-10-2016 | 04:25 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

They have done replacements of pdk. But apparently mine was the only one that went through a drain and refill maintenace procedure. This was part of why I insisted that the oil level be checked again. I just wonder how it can be low when there are no leaks and the computer was indeed in fill mode. I was overseeing the procedure on the first time it was done, though I did not actually see the oil overflow from the fill hole.
No flush procedure. This was for the pdk clutch oil so it was a simple drain. And refill in fill mode.
Old 02-10-2016 | 05:16 PM
user 72902
Banned

Just to put into perspective what percentage of the fill is 300ml? Curious to know if you were missing enough fluid to damage anything. That would scare me knowing I drove down on lubricant.
Old 02-10-2016 | 06:05 PM
syzygy333
Racer

good example of why I get the heebee jeebees whenever someone touches my car.
and you paid top dollar just to add a little salt in the wound.
I would get documentation of all of this and stash it for future reference.
may I ask where this was done and how much did you pay?
Old 02-10-2016 | 06:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info on this topic ... a lot of interest and sharing the learning is always good.

Just a point of reference, since Porsche has really ramped up the PDK deployment in a number of vehicles, all except the Cayenne I believe, we should start getting more and more information on this and the dealer service departments will start getting more and more experience and opportunities to enhance their skills too. Unfortunately the cost for such work will probably not go down until indy shops are fully qualified to start doing the work as well. Until then, we pay to play.
Old 02-11-2016 | 01:05 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

I should keep reference of this incident. Dealer is in Asia. $400 for replacement of both clutch and transaxle fluids
Old 02-11-2016 | 01:30 PM
cool flash
Racer

Fluid change is not a DIY as you have to bring fluid to a certain temperature and you also must have a PIWIS.

Regards,

CF
Old 03-03-2016 | 12:52 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Love to know where the fill hole is and why can't you suck out 5 litres and then add 5 litres??????

Last edited by docdrs; 03-03-2016 at 01:02 AM. Reason: wrong amounts
Old 03-03-2016 | 10:22 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the heads-up slicky rick. Now I'm wondering if I should go check this too, but I haven't had any symptoms.

Originally Posted by docdrs
Love to know where the fill hole is and why can't you suck out 5 litres and then add 5 litres??????
docdrs: This would be a good time to do a forum search... this are lots of posts in just the last few months discussing this. The bottom line is that much of the fluid doesn't sit around in the pan, the multi-plate wet clutches sits in a bath of it for cooling purposes and it also serves as a hydraulic fluid for the control valve mechanisms. All of this has to be flushed out using the PIWIS to set the PDK in fill-mode to activate the pumps and valves to flush out the old fluid. I'm assuming there is some wastage during this flushing process that explains the large amount of fluid this requires.

Another interesting trivia item: The pump actually runs at different rates depending on how much cooling is required for your current driving demands. Of course, during launch mode the pump is turned up to maximum flow. (As per a tech book I have from the 997.2 model release).
Old 03-03-2016 | 10:46 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Storm: would you mind sharing the tech book? I would be interested to read it to learn more about my car.

Quick Reply: 6 yr pdk clutch oil change experience