Facts of the horrorstories

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:59 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Facts of the horrorstories

Dear all,

Have read allover about the failures of the m96/m97 engines. Also the thread about the IMS. I have also talked with my mechs for 20 years about what goes wrong. SO, would be interested in what really has been going on with the failures. IMS, other and the background/correlation to how the car is treated. Overrevs, no change of oil.. etc. Have someone made any investigations about this.
My mech says its often related to cars not taken care of (he has even seen turbos, which are said to be bulletproof have failures dure to this) and also to long time/ intervalls between oilchanges. I have understood Porsches own intevalls are too long to take care of the engine. Is there something to read, would be really interested...
Old 03-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Search for Jake rabys posts. He has discussed all this stuff to the nth degree
Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Hartech http://www.hartech.org/ has some great reading info as well.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

DONT read stories from providers offering IMS solutions. They only gain from scaring everyone to death about the 15.000 dollar repair you will get etc, etc.

I doubt that you will get true, hard facts no matter how hard you try.

I realize chance is not bigger than any catastrophic failures on many other car models so why should I worry. Mine is not an early 2005. Since all 997:s for sale now are used you also dont know exactly the conditions on how it has been maintained or driven. Find a good car, do a PPI and then drive and be happy.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:47 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik964
Dear all,

Have read allover about the failures of the m96/m97 engines. Also the thread about the IMS. I have also talked with my mechs for 20 years about what goes wrong. SO, would be interested in what really has been going on with the failures. IMS, other and the background/correlation to how the car is treated. Overrevs, no change of oil.. etc. Have someone made any investigations about this.
My mech says its often related to cars not taken care of (he has even seen turbos, which are said to be bulletproof have failures dure to this) and also to long time/ intervalls between oilchanges. I have understood Porsches own intevalls are too long to take care of the engine. Is there something to read, would be really interested...
With all that you've read and the mechanics you've spoken with, you probably know more than most of us. What have you discovered?

Through my own research, I've learned to just enjoy my car because the failures are far and few between.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
DONT read stories from providers offering IMS solutions. They only gain from scaring everyone to death about the 15.000 dollar repair you will get etc, etc..
So they took the time to research the issues with the motor, develop solutions intended to reduce the potential for failure, and produce and sell products that can save an owner a $$$$ repair. You are willing to immediately disregard what they say just because they sell the product?

Guess what professor, they are the only ones taking the time to investigate the problems with these motors. They are the ones who see these failed motors, these iffy bearings, these cracked cylinders, scored bores etc.

Keep looking around for someone without a vested interest in these motors to do the necessary research to learn anything.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Yupp, am a true nerd so I have read a lot. I enjoy my car, drive it and take care of it. Period. My feeling is 997 are like cars in general. If You take care of them they last longer. All cars have weak spots. But im curious to verify this just becaused all horror stories exclude this with its a bad engnine construction i not going to care of what else. I know for a fact throgh good sources like Hartech and more that there are weak spots on the engine. They can be handled. The IMS after 2005 upgrade not in that need to be handled.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
So they took the time to research the issues with the motor, develop solutions intended to reduce the potential for failure, and produce and sell products that can save an owner a $$$$ repair. You are willing to immediately disregard what they say just because they sell the product?

Guess what professor, they are the only ones taking the time to investigate the problems with these motors. They are the ones who see these failed motors, these iffy bearings, these cracked cylinders, scored bores etc.

Keep looking around for someone without a vested interest in these motors to do the necessary research to learn anything.
DONT read stories from providers offering IMS solutions. They only gain from scaring everyone to death about the 15.000 dollar repair you will get etc, etc.

I realize chance is not bigger than any catastrophic failures on many other car models so why should I worry. Mine is not an early 2005. Since all 997:s for sale now are used you also dont know exactly the conditions on how it has been maintained or driven. Find a good car, do a PPI and then drive and be happy.
But yes You acutally can calculate and read out a good bit how its been driven if You know what to look for beyond the PPI.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

First off, there's only one IMS Solution. Its the name of my Patented product that I invented, and developed.

Secondly, so you are saying that you are better off listening to something written by someone who has no clue about the dynamics of IMSB failure? That makes zero sense.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Statistically, these failures are fairly rare. If they were more widespread Porsche would go broke from claims. One thing for certain--drive the car. Garage queens do worse as seals and bearings dry out.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:59 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
First off, there's only one IMS Solution. Its the name of my Patented product that I invented, and developed.

Secondly, so you are saying that you are better off listening to something written by someone who has no clue about the dynamics of IMSB failure? That makes zero sense.
There are several solutions from what I have read: Change to ceramic bearings, forced oil lubrication to name two.

Read my post again! I don't say you should listen to anyone without a clue. I say that you will not get clear facts from neither the solution providers or the clueless people.

By avoiding early 2005:s and doing the PPI and check up that proper maintenance is done there is really not much more needed to just enjoy the drive. Risk is minimal.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

There are several solutions from what I have read: Change to ceramic bearings, forced oil lubrication to name two.

Read my post again! I don't say you should listen to anyone without a clue. I say that you will not get clear facts from neither the solution providers or the clueless people.

By avoiding early 2005:s and doing the PPI and check up that proper maintenance is done there is really not much more needed to just enjoy the drive. Risk is minimal.
No need to read your post again. You are stating not to listen to the people who have the most experience with this, because they are also those who were the trailblazers and solved the problem.

Those other things you mention are not "The IMS Solution", which is a trade marked name of the product that I invented.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:29 AM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets all play nice now...

Jake is the MAN when it comes to this subject...

You can listen to what he has to say... you can hear his thoughts on the subject and you can then make your "OWN" decision on what is best for "YOU" to do.

I like to read Jake's technical posts because he does not try to speculate... He tries to make sense of what is going on and explain it so that we can all understand the logic. He has been called out time and time again... to always be proven correct in the end. You do not need to drink the Kool Aid that he is offering but you can take the time to understand what he is saying and what research he has put in to figure things out.

Full disclosure: I do have his magnetic plug in my sump!
I will be changing to his spin on filter soon... But I do not have the funds for a Stage II engine that Jake builds... http://flat6innovations.com/index.ph...rts-a-services
If my engine blows up I would be looking for a can of gas and a lighter!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 AM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I was looking to get back into a 997 last year and was about to count out 05 997s I came across but the fact it was a 1 owner car, well kept and serviced with and unique options/Mods... at a solid price made me think twice but still was going to pass... Then learned the car just went to Flat6 2K miles back and Jake for The IMS Solution (along with clutch, water pump, low temp thermo etc..) and with that data felt MUCH better about buying an 05 and bought the car. I would have passed if the car hadn't just gone to flat6 and had this work done. Such a fix as The IMS Solution I believe is not only a great step to fix the possible IMS issue that could arise in some cars but in addition brings up the cars actual value as a whole.

Many know this but they WILL not do the IMS solution is the IMS is failing in anyway... they apply to cars before any issues possibly start. If they were selling just to sell in masses they would be slapping these on nearly every car that came in weeping, failing or failed.

From what I have read and learned about Flat6 is they never claim the IMS solution is going to save your car from any and all possible weak points that exist in 997 cars but suggest it addresses one area (of many areas) where these cars can be made better.

Quick Reply: Facts of the horrorstories