Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Strut Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016 | 10:11 PM
Naks
Intermediate

Default Front Strut Repair?

Hello everyone. Recently went to a new mechanic and had a full inspection done. They do a full inspection on their lift and they Informed me I had to have both rear struts replaced which I obliged and had completed. A week later I get a PASM failure in which I can't activate sport mode either. I get home and check out the car...I get a lot of noise from the rear particularly from pushing down testing the struts which I videoed to have evaluated by the shop where I had it initially worked on. They pick it up and say it's a rear sway bar bushing that they have to replace. They also inform me that they will fix the rear sway bar bushing for free but the PASM failure came from the front right and since I'm changing the front right strut that I should change the front left as well. They quoted me a price for 1 hour work. Then I receive a call back saying that they did not realize the car is a C4S and that they have to tack on an additional hour of work due to removal of the axels. Granted, I am not the best mechanically...but does this sound correct. I feel like I'm being given the run around. I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2016 | 11:01 PM
Para82
Race Car

Sounds like South Florida SCUM to me but I could be wrong. Mortgages and boat payments depend on you.

Was there anything wrong with the way it was driving before the inspection?
Old 02-09-2016 | 11:55 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Sounds you are in the need for a proper mechanic who knows the 997. How did they find out the PASM failure came from front right?
Old 02-10-2016 | 12:52 AM
Naks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Para82
Sounds like South Florida SCUM to me but I could be wrong. Mortgages and boat payments depend on you.

Was there anything wrong with the way it was driving before the inspection?
Suspension felt a little off and was concerned with getting struts done anyway since my 997 is hitting almost 80k miles on original suspension.
Old 02-10-2016 | 12:54 AM
Naks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rikky001
Sounds you are in the need for a proper mechanic who knows the 997. How did they find out the PASM failure came from front right?
They say diagnostics. Is it true that there is additional work to be done to change the front struts of a 997.1 C4S compared to a CS?
Old 02-10-2016 | 09:15 AM
JayRace
Racer

Originally Posted by Naks
They say diagnostics. Is it true that there is additional work to be done to change the front struts of a 997.1 C4S compared to a CS?
Yes, that is correct. You have to pull the axles on the front of the C4S when changing springs/struts.
Old 02-10-2016 | 09:16 AM
Wolfk
Racer

^ Yes, slightly more work, they need to remove 12 axle bolts. Are you saying you are being charged 2 hours to change both front dampers on your C4S? If that is the case, then that is not a bad deal. Yes diagnostics can pinpoint individual dampers, so everything you have stated from your mechanic can be legit.
Old 02-10-2016 | 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Had you known going in you were going to end up replacing all 4 struts, it would've been a great opportunity to install some Bilstein B16 Damptronic coilovers in place of the factory setup. Car would drive and handle much better and still have PASM functionality.
Old 02-10-2016 | 10:28 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Get them to show you the used removed parts.
I find it helps with the financial pain.
Bring them home with you if you like?
Toss them latter once all your issues are resolved.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 02-10-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Strut Repair?