Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "How do I make my car sound like that?" thread (Farrah's latest one take vid)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:19 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Another "How do I make my car sound like that?" thread (Farrah's latest one take vid)

Just finished watching Matt Farah's latest one-take vid with him driving a slightly modified C4S and I was immediately impressed with the engine noise in the cabin. I have the stock intake with the helmholtz resonator blocked off which provides a bit more intake bark. The owner in the vid claimed he had a cold air intake and plenum...can anyone identify which cold air he's using so I can replicate his intake noise?

Bonus question: with a cold intake i'm expecting to lose torque early in the powerband with an increase in HP later in the revs. Have you found this to be detrimental to daily driving? Admittedly my car spends most of its miles on the streets of San Francisco.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:23 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by sf_c63

Just finished watching Matt Farah's latest one-take vid with him driving a slightly modified C4S and I was immediately impressed with the engine noise in the cabin. I have the stock intake with the helmholtz resonator blocked off which provides a bit more intake bark. The owner in the vid claimed he had a cold air intake and plenum...can anyone identify which cold air he's using so I can replicate his intake noise?

Bonus question: with a cold intake i'm expecting to lose torque early in the powerband with an increase in HP later in the revs. Have you found this to be detrimental to daily driving? Admittedly my car spends most of its miles on the streets of San Francisco.

Thanks for watching and the kind comments... Here is my intake setup...

Engine K&N Intake Kit # 57-7000 and IPD Plenum

By far the intake kit is my favorite mod I have done on my car. You can get most of this sound by just doing the intake and there are no worries about losing low end torque. In fact, throttle response feels even better. This kit helps to also eliminate the flat spot in the power curve around 5000 rpm. Dyno's show that there is actually a very healthy increase in power, about 20 hp, between 4500-6000 rpm and then maybe an extra 10-12 hp increase maintained to redline. The Ipd plenum helps to futher smooth out any flat spots and just adds a nice extra smooth delivery of power and airflow.

The K&N kit is only around $300 bucks ! worth every penny just for the noise this intake makes alone!! My only suggestion is just to buy some CRC MAF spray cleaner and every six months just give the maf a good cleaning just in case. I have never had any issues, but I do that just to be meticulous and keep things running perfectly... Hope that helps!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:24 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Just get a gundo hack - problem solved. And it adds 50 HP!!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can tell you right now, without a doubt, that the reason the exhaust sounds that good in what you think is the interior, is because of external mics. They don't just have one device mic sitting on the camera.

My exhaust is deafening at certain RPM. Using a standard video camera or cell phone video recorder, even at RPM in which you cannot talk to the passenger, on video the exhaust sound is cancelled out and apppears to sound quiet. This is what video recorders and phone cameras do. They cancel it out, because it's too much. Getting external mics with gain control let's you dial in the sound you want that would be lost, or over emphasize sounds that are very low in reality.

He could have anything from a gundo to basic catback system. I assure you, using multiple mics in and out of the car are making it appear that the sound in the cabin is racy, exotic and sexy. Most exhaust mods that are gundo or catback won't really penetrate into the cabin such that it will sound like it does on the video.

Muffler bypass will cut into the cabin, but he doesn't have a muffler bypass. He seems to have a basic exhaust mod like gundo, sport or catback, and the recording mics are making it sound like it's killer inside the cabin. In real life, it will only be that exotic outside the cabin (and it won't be that exotic, because the mics are kicking it up a notch).

Also, no basic intake or exhaust mod is going to reveal itself in tangible-to-the-driver HP. It's just not enough.

And none will really drop torque at low RPM to any degree.

Take all this info and combine it. They guy's car isn't tweaked all that much; his exhaust system isn't exotic; he's got nothing much more than a few ponies from the plenum mostly, but the mics are making you want what isn't there.

Last edited by Philster; 02-03-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: new info
The following users liked this post:
ohmyggg (03-17-2022)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:00 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
Just get a gundo hack - problem solved. And it adds 50 HP!!!!
Oh I've got the Fister cans already installed. Sounds absolutely amazing when the windows are down.

Just want some more intake/engine noise in the cabin when the windows are up.

For the record, I have no interest in increasing HP/TQ, I'm chasing after SOUND.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Oh I've got the Fister cans already installed. Sounds absolutely amazing when the windows are down.

Just want some more intake/engine noise in the cabin when the windows are up.

For the record, I have no interest in increasing HP/TQ, I'm chasing after SOUND.
AWE 200 cats.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just find his username and PM him. The car is on here or 6speed or both. Google Getty Sport Classic Duck Tail and search the photos. And yeah, I agree, it likely sounds better in that one clip than IRL. X51 car does sound more interesting than a stock S car (in 997.2 cars, anyway), though, so maybe reference that setup?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think he's using an external mic but I just added a comment/question on this YouTube post asking Matt F. what kind of camera/microphone setup he uses.

BTW, for all its faults I think the older M97 motor sounds better than the newer MA1/9A1 in the 997.2.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:44 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

If anyone else is interested he posted on 6SpeedOnline: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...e-channel.html

He's just using a K&N kit with IPD plenum.

Somewhat agree with the comments here that perhaps the mic makes the intake noise sound louder than it actually is.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:59 PM
otuA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am almost positive there is no "external mic" for this - as in a mic that is outside of the car. I listen to his podcast and he talks about his mic set ups for these quick "one takes" and wiring a mic outside is not worth the time it takes to set up. He does use a nice powered external mics - as in a mic that is separate from the gopro's crappy built in "internal" mic - and those are attached to each person's lapel.

But it is true that the sound captured and then reproduced on youtube will still be different than what our ears hear in the car. That said, the scream sounds very familiar to me with my Gundo and CAI @ >5000rpm.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
I don't think he's using an external mic but I just added a comment/question on this YouTube post asking Matt F. what kind of camera/microphone setup he uses.

BTW, for all its faults I think the older M97 motor sounds better than the newer MA1/9A1 in the 997.2.
Matt just responded to my question:

The cameras are GoPro 4's. The audio is a Zoom H4N with a wired MXF lavalier.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:58 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Yeah... by external mic, I mean external to the camera and not some built in cheapo. Great mics can do great things.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

OP, you don't show anywhere whether you have a 997.1 or a 997.2, the intake answer can vary somewhat depending on that. I agree they are only using one mike for the audio inside the car, I hear no evidence otherwise. The intake really can make that kind of difference in sound. Here is a GoPro sound recording taken inside of my car at an autocross with just the GoPro mike. The sounds seems similar in nature to the video above. I'm running a Fabspeed intake (no affiliation). Note that the owner of the car in the video states that the sound the driver is commenting about is coming largely from the intake.

The nice intake howl of my intake is quite notable at high RPMs, had no noticeable effect on torque (this reduction in back pressure effect is more of an exhaust phenomena), but doesn't seem to make a huge difference in the sound outside of the car as i passes by... from that perspective the exhaust sounds overwhelm it. It introduces no drone since the sound effect is largely at higher RPMs (both accelerating and decelerating).

Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

^^ I have, essentially, a muffler bypass and when I record, mine sounds the same as yours, StormRune. Also running an Evo intake.

Camera mics can bolster, smother, smooth or distort the real sound. In my case, it's smothering the total volume.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:56 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
^^ I have, essentially, a muffler bypass and when I record, mine sounds the same as yours, StormRune. Also running an Evo intake.
Camera mics can bolster, smother, smooth or distort the real sound. In my case, it's smothering the total volume.
I certainly agree that any mike short of a professional model for this use doesn't come close to doing a good job of capturing what you personally hear. Couple that with the audio hardware, speakers, earbuds, and/or headphones most of us use on a computer and the results don't reflect reality much at all. Maybe some before-and-after comparison would reveal some noticeable delta even if it didn't sound the same (setting myself up for below!).

Philster, I assume you can hear a significant howl from your Evo intake with heavy throttle at higher RPMs, right? Or does you bypass overwhelm that even with the windows up?

I went in the way-back machine and found a post I did in 2014 attempting a high quality before-and-after capture, but all-in-all I'm not happy with it since I felt the results didn't reflect what you hear in real life so I didn't initially bother to go back and find it. It also elicited zero response at the time on this forum so maybe it is underwhelming. But here it is for the record in case it helps: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...7-2-s-pdk.html. You really do need at least earbuds to hear the difference meaningfully, and even then I don't find it adequate. We used a reasonably high quality mike, you can tell that in the voice aspects of the capture (we were doing various scenarios and calling them on each segment), but then again, I think that mike was largely designed for voice capture on stage and may not be the best for the broader frequencies needed for a post like this to reflect reality.

Quick Reply: Another "How do I make my car sound like that?" thread (Farrah's latest one take vid)