Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An in-car recording of the Fabpseed intake on a 997.2 S PDK

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014 | 11:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Default An in-car recording of the Fabpseed intake on a 997.2 S PDK

I originally wrote this yesterday as a post on another thread on 6speed, but I thought it might be interesting to people here that aren't on the other forum....

This weekend I went back to a Fabspeed (no affiliation) competition carbon fiber intake to boost the sound under heavy throttle. I like this combined with my unswitched PSE since the PSE brings extra sound all around yet lets me be conservative enough in my quiet neighborhood, then the Fabspeed intake brings quite the nice addition under half to wide open throttle.

My 16 year old son and I recorded before and after sounds with windows up and down using a very nice mike hooked up to a laptop. The windows-down sound got too much wind noise to be useful, so here is the recording with the windows up. The Fabspeed intake brings a lot of nice sound into the cabin even with the windows up. Even with the good mike, this video (just audio really) doesn't do it justice but you get some taste of it. There is more difference in person.

I've added the histogram of the recording on the video. You can see the after part of the histogram is notably louder. We were careful to do both recordings with the mike in the same place (pointing backwards about ear level next to our heads) and with the recording inputs set up the same.

I'd suggest using good headphones or really good earbuds to hear this best. On the video the difference is much more subtle than I expected given how different it sounds in person, although even then it isn't huge.

https://plus.google.com/111001809998...ts/W93NqWrMyZS

And here is an image of the recording histogram. Notice the additional sound on the after side. Remember, the audio setup was the same so the difference is coming from the intake.

And it made for a great father/son project too!

Last edited by StormRune; 05-25-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2016 | 02:20 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Just listened with earbuds. Perfect. I can fully imagine the sound in real life. And the intake roar: YES

So, yeah... I removed the mufflers and replaced with two glasspack resonators, which by design don't do much other than smooth it out just a little. Adds a bit of quality to the sounds. I am easily at 80-90% of full muffler bypass volume, but quality is way up. At low RPM under load, you have to shout over the exhaust sound to your passenger. When I record via Droid Turbo phone or Go Pro, it sounds lame/tame inside.

Pre-Intake: Above 4000 and especially above 4500 RPM, prior to the Evo intake, but with the exhaust mods, the darn boxer is so friggin' smooth that the exhaust wasn't cutting it. That's the downside to all that high-end power and inherent flat 6 balance: it just wasn't in beast mode, even with the exhaust mods

Post-Intake: At 4500 RPM - 7000 RPM, with the EVO intake and exhaust mods, it just sounds like hell has opened up and is ready to inhale something. It's hellacious. I can tell from your video that the same thing is happening. And yeah, it's just not going to be captured right without a good mic or two (with gain/boost) that can be adjusted to capture what the ears/brain are really hearing live.

Quick Reply: An in-car recording of the Fabpseed intake on a 997.2 S PDK