Sponsored by:

The "Wash Me" thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The "Wash Me" thing

Every now and then I decide to let ol' Froggy get a little scruffy. In the winter I can be ok with not needing to wipe the car down every day, (or even once a week) - and after a while, the dirt and grime kind of resembles me, with my stubbly gray face.

After some time, I just get used to it, and actually like the scruff.

But then one day I'll come out to the car, and someone will have written "Wash Me" on the back, with their finger.

It ALWAYS makes me laugh out loud.

And then I leave it on there like a gold star on my forehead. Because I think it's really funny, and kind of subversive. Maybe the modern equivalent to "a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"

It will wash off, and any minor scratching will buff out easily, it's no big deal. And whatever. If the paint gets thin from buffing it once a year, that's patina, or just respray it one day.

Who cares?

Anyone else agree, or would you all be reaching for your pitchforks & torches?
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I think you should leave it. It really takes some effort to get a grey car dirty. And whatever you, don't take it to a car wash. I heard that it decreases the resale value more than an accident. I think carfax now has a special area for how many automatic washes to car goes through.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

It's winter. You drive the car. Dirt happens. Prefer clean and shiny? Sure, but this is life. Better to drive and enjoy than not to drive at all.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kudos for not worrying about the minor scratches that might have occurred.

As for resale value, another human touched your car, so it depreciated already.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

You should be ashamed of yourself!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by david
You should be ashamed of yourself!
Says the guy who breaks out the detailer spray at nearly every stop on a 2,000 mile drive. Kills bugs fast, but cleans them off quicker.

But, I must admit, cleaning those bugs off after being baked on for 5 days is no fun. I'll be bringing my detail spray next time!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Every now and then I decide to let ol' Froggy get a little scruffy. In the winter I can be ok with not needing to wipe the car down every day, (or even once a week) - and after a while, the dirt and grime kind of resembles me, with my stubbly gray face.

After some time, I just get used to it, and actually like the scruff.

But then one day I'll come out to the car, and someone will have written "Wash Me" on the back, with their finger.

It ALWAYS makes me laugh out loud.

And then I leave it on there like a gold star on my forehead. Because I think it's really funny, and kind of subversive. Maybe the modern equivalent to "a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"

It will wash off, and any minor scratching will buff out easily, it's no big deal. And whatever. If the paint gets thin from buffing it once a year, that's patina, or just respray it one day.

Who cares?

Anyone else agree, or would you all be reaching for your pitchforks & torches?
Well I'll tell ya, its like this. Its not the "Wash Me" that gets me. Its the two fingers below. Good gawd man you swipe your fingers like that every time you close the lid???
Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Says the guy who breaks out the detailer spray at nearly every stop on a 2,000 mile drive. Kills bugs fast, but cleans them off quicker.
Who me?!

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
But, I must admit, cleaning those bugs off after being baked on for 5 days is no fun. I'll be bringing my detail spray next time!
We killed a lot of bugs fast while in NE CA and SE OR! When I see flies eating those bug's carcasses, my OCD (i.e., laziness) kicks in and off they go while they are still moist.

P.S. You know that I'm just giving Dan a hard time...
Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Leave it! I love cleaning the car, but even with our mild winters in Texas, I find myself in a dilemma. If it's a nice enough day to clean, it's nice enough to drive. And, I'd much rather drive it than wash it!
T
Old 01-29-2016, 02:58 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Well I'll tell ya, its like this...Its the two fingers below. Good gawd man you swipe your fingers like that every time you close the lid???
Haha, I may have done it with a little flourish the one time... 😉

David - lol - yes, terribly ashamed! Ha!! 😈
Old 01-29-2016, 11:26 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Exactly! My motorcycles are always dirty with bug splatter from months ago. I rather ride than wash on a nice day.

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Leave it! I love cleaning the car, but even with our mild winters in Texas, I find myself in a dilemma. If it's a nice enough day to clean, it's nice enough to drive. And, I'd much rather drive it than wash it!
T

Quick Reply: The "Wash Me" thing