LA PPI Recommendations Near Anaheim/Brea

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Aliti87
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LA PPI Recommendations Near Anaheim/Brea

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a 997.1 for a couple months now and I think I've finally found the car. It's located in LA though, and given my circumstances, I'll be unable to travel from Chicago to see the car. Because of this, I will have to put my full trust in the PPI and purchase the car sight unseen. Therefore, while the search function has yielded some results, I wanted to reach out to you all for some added assistance.

Also any suggestion on the negotiation process or other advice? Should I have the PPI done before negotiating the final price of the car. BTW, it is a 2008 one owner 997.1 with 58k on the clock, optioned with Bose, Navi, and PASM (which I was surprised to see the base 997).

I look forward to your responses.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From a fellow Chicagoan, I can recommend Hergesheimer. It is in Lake Forest, CA. Vision in Laguna Hills has been recommended to me in the past. Neither is around the corner from Anaheim though. A little closer might be Redline, GMG, or BBi, but I can't confirm they do PPIs.

PS - Anaheim/Brea isn't close to LA.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not buy a used car without seeing it in person unless you are willing potentially lose 10 of thousands of dollars! Jump on a plane for $400 bucks and make a weekend of it. The weather is great in Cali compared to Chi town.

You are going to have to live with it every day and people view things differently. For example, a small scratch, door ding or paint swirl might not be seen or doesn't bother one person but may be a big deal to you. Unfortunately, the small things can lead to $1000's in repairs. To fix a small dent in a rocker, barely noticeable, is $2000 minimum if done correctly(recently discovered in a PPI of a 997)

How do I know, the car in my avatar was listed as "perfect condition" purchased from attorney named Ismale in Las Vegas, sight unseen and when it arrived it had no 2nd gear. The syncros were shot. $8000 later the car is perfect and lucky for me the value has doubled! That's what I call Karma, However you may not be so lucky.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 959 Posts

i am local and happy to take a look for you. I have had doug at Haydon Bros do PPI on a few cars of mine. Including Doug bought my 930. Good guy.

let me know.

Rick
Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 10-26-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:39 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Vision Motorsports doesn't do PPIs any longer.

There's a p-car indy nearby in Orange called Redline Automotive but I have no experience with them.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Zachy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hergesheimer

I just received my low-mileage '09 997TT from in LA (to NJ), and after some research here, I used Hergesheimer for the PPI. I saw a copy of one of their PPI reports after a search on Rennlist, and for $250 it seemed extensive and more than adequate.

I called and Hergesheimer told me $450, which seemed high relative to personal experience and the Rennlist reference. Then they told me they had a $250 version. I decided $250 was fine for a low mileage (16k) and apparently pristine automobile.

The tech started performing the work, and I reminded him midstream that I was getting a $250 PPI. He said "I didn't realize. I guess you'll get more than you are paying for then."

Unfortunately, I think what they did was provide a *very* detailed exterior inspection, then had the phone call with me, then cut the rest short. They knew I already had rev-report from DME, so they skipped the rest of the DME check. The underside, engine systems and drive test report was terse and not detailed at all.

Bottom line, I think Hergesheimer is a quality outfit, and can do the work. But my experience was complicated and compromised by a stupid miscommunication or misunderstanding on PPI version.

Quick Reply: LA PPI Recommendations Near Anaheim/Brea