Sponsored by:

Quick Question on Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Agreed on 33/37 based on what?? Tire life? handling?
Based on temp measurements and flex tests (chalk) to yield desired running pressures (typically 37/42) for proper handling.

This applies to a light load (up to 2 passengers and light luggage) and
Old 01-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

I run 35/40. Gues I could experiment with dropping these a couple psi and see what results are.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:14 PM
jadatis
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First the TMPS can be set lower as the advice given on car, wich is pretty high.
Mostly 20 % below set pressure the alarm goes of, and sometimes also at 20% higher pressure.

Second as Chuck 911 wrote , there is no one ideal pressure , there is a range in the pressure in wich you can experiment.
But there is a lowest pressure for the weight on tires and speed you drive maximaly and wont go over for even a minute, at wich the tires wont damage by to high temperature at any part of the rubber, so it hardens and damages in next bendings so deflections of tire.

I myself set the maximum pressure calculated for when real load is 85% of weight the pressure is calculated for 160km/99m/h with the ideal formula to laws of nature.
Verry discussable and for low H/W tires this will be different, and could mean that damage and bumping can happen at same time.

I also made some lists about pressure chanche for temperature chanche and its depends on the cold filled pressure .
Better would be to go from a sertain % change for every 10 degr F.
I concluded cold advice to be for 65 degr F /18 degr C , but other say 68 degr F/ 20 degr F , but difference is that small that I dont worry about who's right.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2016, 02:24 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the info, esp. chuck911.
I feel like roller skates in a gravel pit.
will bring pressures down because bott's dots are loosening my fillings.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Hard to believe that we are paying for air now - nice little profit generator for the dealers. BTW, I used Ni when I lived in Colorado and it seemed to hold pressures better even with the big temperature swings we experienced.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:59 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Just for the sake of knowing Michelin's recommendations for the PSS's commonly found on our car (I assume in the 65 degree range as pointed out by others). The first number is the normal recommendation, the number in parentheses is the fully loaded recommendation. I've been running with the 33/37 crowd for some time but may try this out for a change. Odd that I stumbled on this on the UK page, I couldn't find the US page equivalent.

Last edited by StormRune; 01-22-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

OK, for novice rookie about to do first track day. Assuming I start with 35/40 cold temp, the pressures rise substantially when tires get hot as indicated on charts. So, after they get hot from first session and pressures have increased, should I keep checking and adjusting thru out the day? Is there an obvious hot tire target pressure for 2008 911 turbo based on your experiences for best track performance? BTW, I just bought new set of MPSC2 tires for track only.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Raider89
OK, for novice rookie about to do first track day. Assuming I start with 35/40 cold temp, the pressures rise substantially when tires get hot as indicated on charts. So, after they get hot from first session and pressures have increased, should I keep checking and adjusting thru out the day? Is there an obvious hot tire target pressure for 2008 911 turbo based on your experiences for best track performance? BTW, I just bought new set of MPSC2 tires for track only.
On the track you need to bleed off pressure as your tires get hot. And.. starting at 35/40 for a 997 is too high, more like 32/36 or even less.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:54 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I usually keep mine at around 31f and 33r and they warm up to around 34/36. I've run higher pressures before however this seems to be the sweet spot for my riding taste. Keep in mind I am running 18s and am not tracking.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gopirates
I usually keep mine at around 31f and 33r and they warm up to around 34/36. I've run higher pressures before however this seems to be the sweet spot for my riding taste. Keep in mind I am running 18s and am not tracking.
You are running very low pressures and risk tire blowout or losing tire rim bead connection. Unless you drive sedately, always below 70MPH and low lateral Gs.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Finally, forget all the nonsense about whatever the ambient temp is. Only thing that matters is the pressure you're driving on. Driving. Not parking. Driving. You want to be around 32/36. If you start out 32/36 cold and your driving warms them to something higher, bleed enough air to get back to 32/36. If you go out the next day and find something like 26/30, do not add air. Soon as you start driving and the tires heat up, presto, you are back to your ideal 32/36.

Or whatever. I am not putting 32/36 out there as perfect. Even though its right about where a lot of very experienced guys wind up, regardless of tire brand or anything else. If you like a plush ride run less. If you like things more lively run more. Main thing is to figure out what YOU like, and forget everything else.
I'm somewhat hijacking this post because finding great sense in what Chuck says and as it applies to my DD 2009 997.2 C2 with 19" wheels, I set my pressures to 32/36. The problem is that even after the tires warm up to 32/36 I get a "Low Tire Pressure" warning that stays on all the time.

Hence I asked in another post (which nobody answered) if there's a way or setting to set say 32/36 as my default pressures rather than the Factory Setting for 19" wheels with summer tires?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:34 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

The owners manual had the procedure for setting the baseline.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Astur
I'm somewhat hijacking this post because finding great sense in what Chuck says and as it applies to my DD 2009 997.2 C2 with 19" wheels, I set my pressures to 32/36. The problem is that even after the tires warm up to 32/36 I get a "Low Tire Pressure" warning that stays on all the time.

Hence I asked in another post (which nobody answered) if there's a way or setting to set say 32/36 as my default pressures rather than the Factory Setting for 19" wheels with summer tires?
Setting 32/36 hot is too low and that is why the TPMS complains and rightly so.

Use 32/36 at 68F and all will be well.

I understand that the std sticker 36/44(PSI) cold is too high, as those are the tire pressures for a fully loaded car at German autobahn speeds and too high for American roads. Thus, 33/37 (or thereabouts) is the value long found for American roads and a normally loaded car (up to 2 people light luggage). 33/37 cold yields 37/42 hot on the road (out West for me) and it is fine.

If one is so affected by bumps and stiff suspension behavior to seek lower tire pressures too get a supple ride... either they have the wrong car or drive it on the wrong roads or both.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If one is so affected by bumps and stiff suspension behavior to seek lower tire pressures too get a supple ride... either they have the wrong car or drive it on the wrong roads or both.
Although I respect your opinion but I must say that I find it to be a bit elitist.

I submit that not everyone who owns these cars is a Paul Newman or Steve McQueen wanabe who takes aloof pleasure in reminding their peers and other mortals what driving these thoroughbreds is all about while snickering at those who do not "heed the creed".

Mine is a DD which I enjoy immensely but I'm unwilling to accept the cost of shaking my fillings loose during normal city driving. True, I could have bought something that drives more "comfortable" but at this stage in my life (I'm retired) I not only wanted another 911 but was also unwilling to overly sacrifice my comfort.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Astur
Although I respect your opinion but I must say that I find it to be a bit elitist.

I submit that not everyone who owns these cars is a Paul Newman or Steve McQueen wanabe who takes aloof pleasure in reminding their peers and other mortals what driving these thoroughbreds is all about while snickering at those who do not "heed the creed".

Mine is a DD which I enjoy immensely but I'm unwilling to accept the cost of shaking my fillings loose during normal city driving. True, I could have bought something that drives more "comfortable" but at this stage in my life (I'm retired) I not only wanted another 911 but was also unwilling to overly sacrifice my comfort.
Elitist?!? A 997 is not uncomfortable at all. At least not anything that lowering tire pressures to those low values will increase comfort but rather it will endanger tire life. If not an outright blowout, a breakdown of its steel belts. It's your car, do as you please, but think that not only you is at risk on the road. These are facts, not elitism.

Re shake and punishing ride... Make sure PASM Sport is not on and if you have Sport Chrono do do not run in Sport or Sport Plus modes on rough surfaces. Normal mode gives you the most compliant end of the suspension.

Quick Reply: Quick Question on Tire Pressure