Sponsored by:

Quick Question on Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If one is so affected by bumps and stiff suspension behavior to seek lower tire pressures too get a supple ride... either they have the wrong car or drive it on the wrong roads or both.
Ever since I joined this forum I could not help but notice that there are basically two main types of members. The very knowledgeable and diehard purists that have a performance and track mindset about their cars and the everyday aficionados who just want to have a nice car without being **** about it. I've also noticed that a lot of times the first tend to sometimes look down on the second for they feel that these detract "The Experience".

Since English is not my primary language then I'll concede that certain nuances may sometimes escape me.

Hence, the overt gist I got from the above quoted comment was that if I was so squeamish and adamant about comfort, then I shouldn't have or be driving a car with the suspension and ride characteristics of the 997.

You also go on to say... "It's your car, do as you please, but think that not only you is at risk on the road." . This comment is not only elitist since it infers that you know what's best and correct but it's also quite offensive for you infer that in not following your advice I would knowingly put my, and more importantly, other motorists lives at risk.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
The owners manual had the procedure for setting the baseline.
I looked through the manual and could not find instructions on how to set the TPMS to a given or specific baseline as the default.

The "Set" function only asks about wheel size, load and if running summer or winter tires. What I was really looking for was a way to have the TPMS accept pressures of 32/36 when hot as my defacto baseline for monitoring. As it stands with these pressures I always have a warning light on stating that my pressures are too low.

Also, I have 19" wheels so I even tried to set the TPMS for 18" wheels since these run a lower pressures. However, the warning is still there since even these have higher defaults than the 32/36 hot that I want to run.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:13 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

On p 130 of my manual is a section called "System Learning," which happens after you've gone through the procedures you note. There is nothing other than the note about maintaining "tire pressures according to the units indicated on the tire pressure plate, located on the driver's side door of the vehicle," which, I think we agree, is too high.

I set mine at 33/37, and my system learned that.

(BTW, I also note a warning, "Driving the vehicle with low tire pressure increases the risk of a tire failure..". I would think 32/36 hot is too low.)

[Added comment- considering that warning, the system (Porsche) may also be telling you 32/36 hot is too low, it won't accept that. 32/36 cold may be acceptable.)

Quick Reply: Quick Question on Tire Pressure