Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler on a cabriolet, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 05:58 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

This topic looks to be split right down the middle. Truly a love it or hate it thing with very little middle ground. Sort of like the New England Patriots.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,818 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Yeah not quite but maybe in your small world. Most turbo owners never track and they have a fixed wing and another one that raises at speeds. Many gt3s and gt2 and aero equipped cars never see a track and don't see them at autozone cars per your suggestion.
That is a functional use based on the speeds and performance that car is capable of--thus functional. Putting a large spoiler on a convertible is the definition of ricer.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:25 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
That is a functional use based on the speeds and performance that car is capable of--thus functional. Putting a large spoiler on a convertible is the definition of ricer.
great but that's not what you said.... you said "Spoilers should only be used when they are functional for racing purposes.". Most Porsche cars with equipped aero packages from factory are not raced. So if your choosing to change what you posted I guess I get it.

Ricer? Younger gen people into cars, Choosing to modify to their liking based on their budget? Quite the generalization... I owed a modified Honda s2000 years back and bet saw more track time in those years then most Porsche owners.

Last edited by mickfluff; 12-18-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:24 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Nope!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:30 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow this thread full of colorful replies. Porsche doesn't like wings and spoilers? well just when you think you have heard it all from the purists another bomb drops.
Porsches have been offered for years with spoilers on the standard 911s, some people want them and Porsche would be foolish not to sell them to its customers as on option at the dealer level. However, Porsche chose the pop-up spoiler on the 964 and all subsequent 911s to preserve the classic, clean profile of the non Turbo and non GT models (sorry, but this is a fact, I just don't have the historical reference handy).

Naturally, the Turbos and GT models come with spoilers, they are sold to a world-wide market where much higher straight line speeds are possible and legal. The Turbo, has of course, been long associated with a big fixed rear wing and current Turbos carry on that tradition. The GT cars are track oriented where fixed rear wings are the norm. Lots of GT2 and GT3s never see the track but Porsche has to build them assuming they will. I think the rear wing looks great on the Turbos produced through 1994, by the way.

As to colorful replies - the OP asked for opinions, I gave him mine.

Last edited by KNS; 12-18-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:44 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,818 Likes on 883 Posts

great but that's not what you said.... you said "Spoilers should only be used when they are functional for racing purposes.". Most Porsche cars with equipped aero packages from factory are not raced. So if your choosing to change what you posted I guess I get it.

Ricer? Younger gen people into cars, Choosing to modify to their liking based on their budget? Quite the generalization... I owed a modified Honda s2000 years back and bet saw more track time in those years then most Porsche owners.
Potato--potato. The aero is functional because the car is created for racing purposes. The history of Porsche is based on the race track and their street cars carry forward this technology--which is exactly what I said. Most Ferraris will never see a track but they are based on technology developed on the track and that is their original intent.

I just sold my track rat RX-7 and I have nothing against Hondas. I just went for an easy stereotype. I do believe in functional modifications. If it came with it from the factory--it is probably functional. If it is slapped on later for racing purposes, great. If you just want to look fast...
Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 AM
HolmaN
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it! I had one on my 996 and it was awesome.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,534 Likes on 4,161 Posts

On a cab I like the ducktail or you could go with the OEM rear decklid from a TT. The TT spoilers fit both coupes and cabs and are standard equipment in both. The active Aero upper wing on the cabs actually raises up higher than the coupe version based on air-flow around the car. I don't know that I've ever seen the GT3 rear Aero on a cab. Might look cool or really out of place. I wouldn't change your wheels though, they look nice with the blue paint.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:57 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Local buddy has a TechArt Type III spoiler on his cab. Very nice. Looks good, IMO.

I'm putting a Turbo wing and Aerokit front spoiler on my GTS. Miss the wing and RS cf blade I had on my ex-6GT3. The Turbo wing is not as prominent, but I think adds a bit of spice to the car. It's a looks thing.

(BTW, some folks have suggested I go with the full Aerokit or 7GT3 wing. Don't like the looks of those.)
Old 12-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Porsches have been offered for years with spoilers on the standard 911s, some people want them and Porsche would be foolish not to sell them to its customers as on option at the dealer level. However, Porsche chose the pop-up spoiler on the 964 and all subsequent 911s to preserve the classic, clean profile of the non Turbo and non GT models (sorry, but this is a fact, I just don't have the historical reference handy).
Out of curiosity (not doubt) that is a reference I'd like to see. It seems typically germanic, given a simple solution (fixed wing) or a more complicated solution (retractable wing), to choose the latter for whatever reason (e.g. the Lugar with 37 moving parts in the trigger assembly vs. a Colt .45 with 9 moving parts).

At any rate, the two types of wings are for different purposes. The retractable wing disrupts airflow and lessens lift while the fixed wing is more for downforce (and probably disrupts airflow as well). I'm actually a little surprised that the angle of attack of the fixed wing is not adjustable (manually or automatically) on the fly - much like F1 cars.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:56 PM
HolmaN
Instructor

The spoiler I'm using should prolly fit on a convertible as well, since it' not that high.
Can be bought on ebay and aliexpress forless than 800 usd. Name of the spoiler is GT2M.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 PM
twosheds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care for the roof line of the cab compared to the coupe. But I think the turbo cab looks better than the non-turbo cabs because of the wing. It might be because it visually smooths out the hunch in front of the engine lid. Just keep in subtle.

Geoff.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:18 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HolmaN
The spoiler I'm using should prolly fit on a convertible as well, since it' not that high.
Can be bought on ebay and aliexpress forless than 800 usd. Name of the spoiler is GT2M.

What's the splitter you have in front?
Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 PM
HolmaN
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
What's the splitter you have in front?
Maxton design.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:44 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Checked, they don't have one for the 997.2.

Quick Reply: Spoiler on a cabriolet, yes or no?