Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler on a cabriolet, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:01 PM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler on a cabriolet, yes or no?

On this car

I found this on EBay $700.
Thoughts on it?
Old 12-18-2015, 02:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

For looks? Then if you like it, do it. Only if its for handling, then you get into all these pesky functional problems like which front spoiler to match the rear spoiler to maintain handling balance, is the added weight/drag worth it for the handling improvement at speeds the car will actually be driven, will I actually be able to feel the improvement, that kind of thing. But since you're just asking about looks, then put a GT3 spoiler on there, way better looking.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-for-sale.html

Last edited by chuck911; 12-18-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add link
Old 12-18-2015, 02:54 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
For looks? Then if you like it, do it. Only if its for handling, then you get into all these pesky functional problems like which front spoiler to match the rear spoiler to maintain handling balance, is the added weight/drag worth it for the handling improvement at speeds the car will actually be driven, will I actually be able to feel the improvement, that kind of thing. But since you're just asking about looks, then put a GT3 spoiler on there, way better looking.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-for-sale.html
I'm almost certain GT3 spoiler and decklid will not fit the cabs because of the roof stowing mechanism (or whatever it's called) getting in the way. Other cab owners can chime in. It sounds like you're only considering looks and that's good because if you were doing this for performance you bought the wrong 997. And since it's just for looks I recommend you do what you like. Who cares what others think? Do you have other questions outside of looks related to resale, installation or cost?

Also, if you found it on ebay I would research the seller. Without seeing the listing we can't add much more info.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 to nwGTS. It's all about the spoiler being low enough to allow the cab top cover to move through it's full range of motion. Only certain rear spoilers allow that.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Just my opinion but spoilers ruin the lines of the 911. Well, not just my opinion, the reason Porsche went to the retractable rear spoiler on the 964 was to preserve the classic profile of the standard 911, they really didn't like the way they looked either.

They look even goofier on a cab - and goofier still on a cab with the top down.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:15 PM
soontobe
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts

Getty Duck Classic looks best on convert
Old 12-18-2015, 03:19 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I had 997S Cab and like you and I was looking to add some cosmetic body kit to my car. I've tried side skirts, front lip from GT3TEK and wheels but the rear spoiler kinda ruin the classic 911 looks. Do what make you happy but since you're asking, I said "don't do it".
Well, ducktail might be unique and cool though.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:25 PM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I'm not tracking the car so other than the looks it's the positive or negative impact on resale down the road.

Speaking of resale I need to decide what to do with my now replaced 997.2s wide body wheels and tires, sell or keep?
Old 12-18-2015, 03:38 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not no, but hell no.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:59 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by storch
No I'm not tracking the car so other than the looks it's the positive or negative impact on resale down the road.

Speaking of resale I need to decide what to do with my now replaced 997.2s wide body wheels and tires, sell or keep?
No to the spoiler (unless you get something really short and slim), and as for the wheels -- what do you have? I might be looking for an extra set for winter...
Old 12-18-2015, 04:39 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Just my opinion but spoilers ruin the lines of the 911. Well, not just my opinion, the reason Porsche went to the retractable rear spoiler on the 964 was to preserve the classic profile of the standard 911, they really didn't like the way they looked either.

Agreed. Spoilers should only be used when they are functional for racing purposes. If not, you might as well buy a Honda and stop by AutoZone.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:26 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by soontobe
Getty Duck Classic looks best on convert
What he said ..... A duck and some Fuchs style wheels and set of black spats would change the look completely. Unless you live in Europe and autohahn the car or track your safe regards to aero concerns within usa speeds of 65-70mph. There is no immenent concern your nose will lift or tail get squirrelly at any legal speed in the states due to a wing and no lip or lip and no wing etc.

Personally see cabs best with no wing or at Most a ghetty design style like duck set up if going to finish the look with era style wheels like Fuchs etc

That said, if you like something go for it. For re sale u can always remove and sell and put back to stock.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:30 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Agreed. Spoilers should only be used when they are functional for racing purposes. If not, you might as well buy a Honda and stop by AutoZone.
Yeah not quite but maybe in your small world. Most turbo owners never track and they have a fixed wing and another one that raises at speeds. Many gt3s and gt2 and aero equipped cars never see a track and don't see them at autozone cars per your suggestion.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

no
Old 12-18-2015, 05:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by KNS

Wow this thread full of colorful replies. Porsche doesn't like wings and spoilers? well just when you think you have heard it all from the purists another bomb drops.

Quick Reply: Spoiler on a cabriolet, yes or no?