Sponsored by:

Road Force balancing experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by j beede
I've been using the same tire shop for tire/balancing for 18 years. Never had an issue that a repeat spin balance didn't cure until now. This same shop claimed that my wheels were the problem. So... $400 later my wheels have been trued, tires re-mounted and balanced and... just a bit better.

FYI: The local Ferrari/Lambo indy suggested Road Force. I am trying to find a vendor.

Today I called Pirelli and they told me to return the tires for replacement. I hung up and went right to one of the dealers they suggested based on my zip code. I told them what Pirelli said about replacement and the tire guy looked at me like I was from another planet. I wasn't impressed.

I will find someone to do the Road Force balance. At that point I will be in ~$2000 for a set of tires (including wheel truing) that were not my first choice. I wish I had my old GY F1 back, they were perfect. Apologize for the for the rant--I just want to enjoy my car again!
What were you quoted for Road Force? I would probably ditch the tires if Pirelli offered a refund and go with Michelins....

Trust me I understand your pain, the 997 is EXREMELY sensitive to tire selection and alignment - really does change the entire driving experience.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:45 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
What were you quoted for Road Force? I would probably ditch the tires if Pirelli offered a refund and go with Michelins....

Trust me I understand your pain, the 997 is EXREMELY sensitive to tire selection and alignment - really does change the entire driving experience.
$150 for Road Force by a shop that specializes in minivans and Chrysler 200--not Italian sports cars like my 997 I am not keen to leave my car there.

I bought Pirelli because 20" Michelin were not available. I had a sidewall failure that forced me to go with what I could get... P-Zero.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:55 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As an operator of the road force balancer in the shop I work at, I can tell you the process is fairly involved.
First, the tire is dismounted from the wheel on the mounting machine (not an easy task with low profile tires). The bare wheel is installed on the balancer, placing the built in digital dial indicator on the bead area, the radial low spot is found and marked on the wheel.
The tire is then remounted to the wheel on the mounting machine. Wheel/ tire is then re-installed on the balancer. Road force feature is then initiated. This applies force to the tire tread to find the stiffest area of the sidewall. This spot is then marked on the tire.
The wheel/tire is then placed back on the mounting machine and the tire beads are broken from the wheel, the tire is rotated on the wheel so that the two marks are aligned (stiffest part of the sidewall matched to the lowest part of the wheel). Tire is re-inflated and the tire beads are massaged (this is an extra technique that we use to fully seat the tire beads, you would be surprised how much this helps).
The wheel/tire is then placed on the balancing machine and a traditional spin balancing is performed.
So yes, the operator has a huge impact on the success of a proper balance.

Just to clarify, this process is called road force matching. Simple road force balancing does not reposition the tire on the wheel for optimum balance. Road force matching is much more time consuming and we charge more. Have not had a return yet.

A tire and wheel may balance perfectly dynamically, but if there is a stiff spot in the sidewall you will feel it as you drive, hence the benefit of road force balance. The stiff spot is compensated with extra weights.

Last edited by Wolfk; 12-18-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not long ago, I put four Michelin AS Sport tires on an my X Jag, and immediately noted a vibration, so after re-balance tries, they took them off, and put on the Super Sports, and the perfect ride was back. One of the tires was just defective, and they sent all four back to Michelin for them to figure out.

All the best...
Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,556 Likes on 4,170 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
I don't recall what they called it, but my dealer did a balance on my car that was leagues better than any I'd ever experienced. On a smooth road, the car seems to glide over it.
+1
The on-car high-speed balance is the absolute best as it compensates for any differences not just in the wheels and tires, but lug bolts, hubs, rotors, etc - pretty much anything that spins while you're driving. I have this done on all my vehicles, not just the P-cars because the highway ride at 85 MPH is just so much better than any other balance method. Is it expensive compared to the other dynamic and RF balance methods - yes, but IMHO very worth it. If you have to remove a wheel for any reason, just mark the lug bolts, wheel position on the hub with blue tape and a marker using the valve stem for reference and put everything back together the same way and you won't have any issues.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:21 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Ive seen rf jobs $25 to $50 each
Old 12-18-2015, 01:13 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
As an operator of the road force balancer in the shop I work at, I can tell you the process is fairly involved.
First, the tire is dismounted from the wheel on the mounting machine (not an easy task with low profile tires). The bare wheel is installed on the balancer, placing the built in digital dial indicator on the bead area, the radial low spot is found and marked on the wheel.
The tire is then remounted to the wheel on the mounting machine. Wheel/ tire is then re-installed on the balancer. Road force feature is then initiated. This applies force to the tire tread to find the stiffest area of the sidewall. This spot is then marked on the tire.
The wheel/tire is then placed back on the mounting machine and the tire beads are broken from the wheel, the tire is rotated on the wheel so that the two marks are aligned (stiffest part of the sidewall matched to the lowest part of the wheel). Tire is re-inflated and the tire beads are massaged (this is an extra technique that we use to fully seat the tire beads, you would be surprised how much this helps).
The wheel/tire is then placed on the balancing machine and a traditional spin balancing is performed.
So yes, the operator has a huge impact on the success of a proper balance.

Just to clarify, this process is called road force matching. Simple road force balancing does not reposition the tire on the wheel for optimum balance. Road force matching is much more time consuming and we charge more. Have not had a return yet.

A tire and wheel may balance perfectly dynamically, but if there is a stiff spot in the sidewall you will feel it as you drive, hence the benefit of road force balance. The stiff spot is compensated with extra weights.
Thanks for the detailed description Wolfk.

Unfortunately your description does not precisely match what my local Road Force service provider told me. They said that the tire is not removed from the rim--so I gather I would be getting a less comprehensive service than what you described.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Our cars are super sensitive to wheel and tire balance.

My Porsche dealer installed new PS2s and had a vibration. Blamed a wheel being not true, etc. Their Audi shop next door had a road force balancing machine and after insisting that the tires be re balanced on that, it was smooth with no vibrations.

Find a good tire shop with Road Force equipment and you will be happy.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by j beede
Since having my new tires installed I have had two spin balances and spent $$$ having my wheels trued... still have steering wheel shake that came with the new tires. I have no experience with Road Force balancing. Has this been a boon or bust for you?
May be a bad control arm.

Just a few weeks ago, I took my friend's '09 for a drive; had wheel vibration....... and was a bit out of alignment.... I suggested balancing and an alignment..... they found a front control arm was leaking goo from a bushing.

Replaced control arm and alignment... no balancing.... now now vibration.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-18-2015, 04:20 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

of course most shops will want to take shortcuts, maybe in a pinch to get down to an exact cause of a symptom they will start at a and go all the way to z,
does anybody really want to do a good job anymore
Old 02-14-2016, 11:21 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You may not believe this but I went to a Firestone shop in Sacramento to mount and balance PS2s. For $100, they did the Road Force balance which includes free rotation and re-balance. To my surprise, they got it right the first time! Same experience with my wife's Cayenne. The second time in, I had them rotate and rebalance my wife's tires. I specified the front and rear tire pressures. Of course, they got the pressures backward. I have compressor at home which quickly remedied that problem. They were one of the TireRack recommended shops.

Another good option is Les Schwab. They typically do quality work
Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Porsche dealer in Sacramento wants $185 to mount and balance my new Michelin PSS tires. Seems fairly reasonable to me. Your thoughts?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you drive with an out of balance condition for too long, you could get a world-class balancing with a world-class tech and cutting edge technology and hit the road with a vibration, because you've slight distorted the tire. And if you've flat spotted a tire, you'll likely have the same problem.

Sure, the balancing can still improve things, but if your tires are slightly screwed up now, you're ride will never be fully smooth on that rubber.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lurchphil
Porsche dealer in Sacramento wants $185 to mount and balance my new Michelin PSS tires. Seems fairly reasonable to me. Your thoughts?
It's reasonable until someone in a different, slower, less-urban area chimes in to tell you that you shouldn't pay more than 90, just as they did.

But yeah... reasonable.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my front tires at the Porsche dealer as I got a 35% discount on it, and I asked them to replace all 4 TPMS sensors. Charged me 1 hour for fitting and balancing but no regret as no vibrations at all, perfectly balanced.

Quick Reply: Road Force balancing experience