Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check this DME

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015 | 02:43 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Default Check this DME

Recently, was in the market for a 997.1 S white on black/stone grey interior. Well this one was for sale on auto trader, i thought it was too good to be true with the build sheet etc. Well luckily i had a PPI done, the first time, they forgot to get the DME report, Had to guy go back before i had any checks cut to ensure the DME report was okay as the guy said it was well taken care of and hardly ever driven very hard... Well thank goodness i did get it done cause check this out.

Had a few buddies of mine look, friends at fabspeed, and they all were blown away.

I couldn't believe my eyes. LOL

Name:  GqVS3YT.png
Views: 14
Size:  52.9 KB

Here is the vehicle for sale. Looks awesome, well you could say it's been driven hard.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...11097850&Log=0

If anyone is looking at it. Found another white on stone grey a week later with much less miles and well taken care of.

Last edited by awfilms; 12-15-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2015 | 02:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

What's the big deal? Looks like a missed shift about 600 hours ago. Looks to have survived. The other over revs are mild with regards to the count. We've seen a lot worse than this.
Old 12-15-2015 | 02:48 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
What's the big deal? Looks like a missed shift about 600 hours ago. Looks to have survived. The other over revs are mild with regards to the count. We've seen a lot worse than this.
hmm okay, well most people i talked to said run, run far away. To each their own
Old 12-15-2015 | 02:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

So why was everybody blown away?
The range Number four and number five over revs? The over 13,000 over revs in range one? Or that somebody is banging off the rev limiter just five hours ago?

The last point would be the one that would concern me the most.
Old 12-15-2015 | 03:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There are cars out there with zero over revs anf they are common. I found one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-15-2015 | 03:29 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I thought Range 1 was just trips *to* the limiter? What's the big deal?

Range 2 and 3 don't seem to be that bad, either, but the Range 4 and 5 would have me worried. IIRC that's 8,000 RPM and beyond, isn't it?
Old 12-15-2015 | 05:03 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I thought Range 1 was just trips *to* the limiter? What's the big deal?

Range 2 and 3 don't seem to be that bad, either, but the Range 4 and 5 would have me worried. IIRC that's 8,000 RPM and beyond, isn't it?
The range 5 lasted about 0.3 seconds and as previously mentioned, it happened more than 600 hours ago. I've seen worse reports and the engines keep on running. Buyer's choice...but "beware" sounds a little alarmist. My first 911 was a 1971 911T - I had what then would be called a PPI done but over-revs were never mentioned. Knowledge is wonderful.
Old 12-15-2015 | 05:10 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

$47,900 for a 2006 C2S Coupe is over priced anyways. It has a nice build sheet but you can do better. I have seen many DME reports worse than that one. If you can live with Sand Beige here is a 2010 White C2S with same mileage and better engine http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=126298785
Good luck with your search!
Old 12-15-2015 | 05:28 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The range 5 lasted about 0.3 seconds and as previously mentioned, it happened more than 600 hours ago. I've seen worse reports and the engines keep on running. Buyer's choice...but "beware" sounds a little alarmist. My first 911 was a 1971 911T - I had what then would be called a PPI done but over-revs were never mentioned. Knowledge is wonderful.
Everytime I test drove a Cayman S or a 911, I would ask if I could get on the throttle. It baffled me at the time when the owner or sales associate answered "sure, but don't go near the rev limit".

I didn't understand why until I learned of the existence of the "overrev report".

It's kind of like finding out about your wife's dating history. Sometimes you're better off leaving those skeletons in the closet.
Old 12-15-2015 | 06:52 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Seems like a money shift... but given that it occurred so many hours ago probably means the engine survived. If you really want to be sure, get a compression/leakdown test and use the report as leverage to get a big discount. If you can't live with the thought of having range 5's, then you probably wouldn't get this car at any price point. But there are cars with range 5-6's that are still running strong hundreds of hours (or many thousand miles) later. Typically engine damage from a massive over-rev/misshift is instantly recognizable.
Old 12-15-2015 | 07:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by awfilms
Recently, was in the market for a 997.1 S white on black/stone grey interior. Well this one was for sale on auto trader, i thought it was too good to be true with the build sheet etc. Well luckily i had a PPI done, the first time, they forgot to get the DME report, Had to guy go back before i had any checks cut to ensure the DME report was okay as the guy said it was well taken care of and hardly ever driven very hard... Well thank goodness i did get it done cause check this out.

Had a few buddies of mine look, friends at fabspeed, and they all were blown away.

I couldn't believe my eyes. LOL

Here is the vehicle for sale. Looks awesome, well you could say it's been driven hard.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...11097850&Log=0

If anyone is looking at it. I wouldn't suggest buying. Found another white on stone grey a week later with much less miles and well taken care of.
I'm pretty sure the over-revs indicate not that the car was driven hard but that it was driven bad.
Old 12-15-2015 | 08:21 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Everytime I test drove a Cayman S or a 911, I would ask if I could get on the throttle. It baffled me at the time when the owner or sales associate answered "sure, but don't go near the rev limit".

I didn't understand why until I learned of the existence of the "overrev report".

It's kind of like finding out about your wife's dating history. Sometimes you're better off leaving those skeletons in the closet.
Never ask how many......nevermind. All things being equal, a buyer will take a car with a lower rev count. My PPI revealed 305 in range one and 5 in range 2...nothing over that.

The 2010 white/tan in Hermosa on Cagurus, is a standard Carrera, not an S if that matters. It was originally a FL car until 2013 with 23,000 miles. In the last 2 years it racked up 26,000 miles out of Las Vegas, then sold at auction 2 weeks ago.......now is in California. I passed on it just for the fact it was a non S model. Car fax was clean otherwise.
Old 12-15-2015 | 10:03 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

If you look at the over-revs it suggests the car was driven hard. That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but if the car was driven hard, and that didn't bother me, I'd pay close attention to the rotors as the owner may have been hard on them as well - and PCCB rotors are pricy.
Old 12-15-2015 | 10:18 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Not a good DME report but not a extremely bad one.
Old 12-15-2015 | 10:50 PM
j beede
Racer

A 997 MT with zero (as in none) over revs in the DME report would make me suspicious. If my 997 had zero over revs I would immediately run it through the lower gears hard to see if it actually records over revs at all.

I have never owned a tip or PDK 997. If you hold the accelerator to the floor in any automatic mode does the transmission shift before the red line? In paddle mode does a tip or PDK simply stall at the limiter or does it automatically shift to the next higher gear? I have seen samples of "tip" style transmissions that behave either way.

Quick Reply: Check this DME