Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sharkwerks decible level

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015 | 04:54 PM
jwennlund
Track Day

Default sharkwerks decible level

Does anyone have an idea of what a base 997.2 with a sharkerks bypass puts out in decibels at WOT? I've been thinking of doing it for a while but a couple of tracks out here have noise regulations to contend with...
Old 12-13-2015 | 05:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Assuming you don't have aftermarket mufflers for the two side mufflers, the sound increase is quite modest. If you have a PSE you can run it closed. Even open the PSE isn't all that loud, I recently posted a video of my C2S at WOT with PSE open in another PSE/Sharkwerks thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...able-2.html#25

In other words, I don't know the answer in measured terms but without aftermarket mufflers I'm virtually certain you would be okay.

Edit: I should add, the guys at the autocross events don't think my car is loud at all even with the PSE open... at least not anywhere near many of the modded cars there.
Old 12-13-2015 | 05:56 PM
jwennlund
Track Day

Thank you, I am bone stock at the moment and the only option my ride came without is the PSE. Sharkwerks bypass, a tune and seat time are the only performance mods I am planning for the next few months.

I kid you not we have a track out here located a block south of Luke AFB with noise abatement. The developers don't mind the F-16's but file a lawsuit if they hear a GT3. 94db from about 50 feet away is the limit.
Old 12-13-2015 | 06:00 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by jwennlund
Thank you, I am bone stock at the moment and the only option my ride came without is the PSE. Sharkwerks bypass, a tune and seat time are the only performance mods I am planning for the next few months.

I kid you not we have a track out here located a block south of Luke AFB with noise abatement. The developers don't mind the F-16's but file a lawsuit if they hear a GT3. 94db from about 50 feet away is the limit.
Um, 94dB is pretty loud, I'd be pissed off too. You can buy an SPL meter for under $20 on amazon to take your own measurements if you want.
Old 12-13-2015 | 06:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Just to help set expectations, I did try the bypass with stock mufflers first and the sound increase is really rather modest... maybe more of a tone change than volume in my opinion. It wasn't long before I wanted more. If you search back through threads I think you'll find that many end up changing both sets of mufflers before they were satisfied. But I'm not saying that the Sharkwerks isn't an important step to get there.
Old 12-13-2015 | 06:06 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

I have no idea what the dB output is, but I can tell you that the limit at Laguna Seca is 92 dB and I have never been black flagged with PSE on and a Sharkwerks Bypass (997.2 GTS). I can't remember where the monitoring station is (Turn 3, 4 or 5?) but their reading, just like for any track, will depend on distance from the source.
Old 12-13-2015 | 06:07 PM
jwennlund
Track Day

delete
Old 12-13-2015 | 06:08 PM
jwennlund
Track Day

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Um, 94dB is pretty loud, I'd be pissed off too. You can buy an SPL meter for under $20 on amazon to take your own measurements if you want.
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I have no idea what the dB output is, but I can tell you that the limit at Laguna Seca is 92 dB and I have never been black flagged with PSE on and a Sharkwerks Bypass (997.2 GTS). I can't remember where the monitoring station is (Turn 3, 4 or 5?) but their reading, just like for any track, will depend on distance from the source.

Good to know, sounds like I'm safe.
Old 12-13-2015 | 06:12 PM
jwennlund
Track Day

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I agree 94db isn't exactly quiet but given the context of flying directly under F-16's that are taking off in a rural setting is a bit silly. Nearest neighborhood is over 1 mile away.

What's crazy is a private citizen put up $2mm to build the track and all proceeds go to charity. He was told the area wasn't subject to noise abatement due to the Air Force base but Westcorp a developer sued to shut him down and this was the compromise.
Old 12-13-2015 | 07:12 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Agreed with the others. I just installed my bypass pipes yesterday with the help of the membership here. I have PSE side mufflers. With the PSE closed it is only slightly louder than before. With the PSE open it is still not loud compared with other cars. My Alfa 4C is worlds louder than the Porsche with PSE open and the bypass installed.
Old 12-13-2015 | 10:31 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Just to help set expectations, I did try the bypass with stock mufflers first and the sound increase is really rather modest... maybe more of a tone change than volume in my opinion. It wasn't long before I wanted more. If you search back through threads I think you'll find that many end up changing both sets of mufflers before they were satisfied. But I'm not saying that the Sharkwerks isn't an important step to get there.
+1 I don't have PSE and am satisfied with the Sharkwerks pipe. Every once in a while I do wish I had a bit more volume... .but then I do business from my car too.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:09 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

I was black flagged at Laguna at 94.7 dB with the Sharkwerks center bypass and the Tubi mufflers, but it sounded glorious ;-)
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:44 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I was black flagged at Laguna at 94.7 dB with the Sharkwerks center bypass and the Tubi mufflers, but it sounded glorious ;-)
That's like putting a table full of food in front of a hungry person and telling them they can only watch others eat! Were you able to do anything to lower the noise and get on-track? (I just have a PSE/stock exhaust with the Sharkwerks bypass.)
Old 12-15-2015 | 12:30 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

That's like putting a table full of food in front of a hungry person and telling them they can only watch others eat! Were you able to do anything to lower the noise and get on-track? (I just have a PSE/stock exhaust with the Sharkwerks bypass.)
Let me first get you more "hungry": When you go down the corkscrew full throttle you are in some kind of Canyon which reflects sound absolutely perfect, it really sent chills down my spine.

My "solution to the problem" is in the picture below. Well it worked to bring me below 92 dB. 92 dB days are getting very rare in Laguna and 90 dB is now the norm.
So eventually I took the Sharkwerks bypass off (and sold it). The Tubi side mufflers didn't sound too great w/o the bypass and I sold them too and then Gundo-hacked my OEM mufflers.

I still use the Laguna-pipes and never have been back flagged (at 90 dB days) since.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: sharkwerks decible level