Sponsored by:

FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:12 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

With confidence I say not true. See #112 above as well as several other posts.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
Just to be clear, the senior tech at Mark Motors Porsche in Ottawa confirmed to me that what was done to my car was the proper Porsche clutch oil change service recommended for 6 years/ 90,000kms using the PIWIS Oil Fill Mode.. They told me that the only way to get more oil out would have been to remove and replace the pan. They assured me that mine is not the first they have done, and that they know what they are doing.

I can't tell you whether this is true or not, but this is what I was told initially would be done, and this is what was confirmed to be as being done when I called to inquire about the leftover fluid. I didn't really get any higher confidence level speaking with dealers in Montreal (~2hr drive) or even Toronto (~5hr drive). The only real alternative available to me would have been not to change the oil.
Yeah, I understand you don't really have any alternative at this point. So I'm not criticizing you at all. You are right, it is certainly better than not having changed the oil at all! But let me point out a logic error in the what the tech told you:

He said "...the only way to get more oil out would have been to remove and replace the pan...". But if you open the drain plug, it drains all of the oil out of the pan regardless of whether it is removed or not. How would removing the pan remove anything more out of an emptied pan other than a few pooled drops? So that explanation just makes no sense to me.

Also his statement that they have done others this way provides no real reassurance either, it just means they are doing all of them wrong. Either that or most of the other dealers that do 5.25 as prescribed are doing it wrong. Which is the more likely explanation?

In any case, I imagine that you've ended up with enough of a change that you are in good shape for a long time. I just don't want to let what clearly seems to be incorrect information get propagated too far. And I'd recommend that anyone else doing this in your area find someone other than Mark Motors in Ottawa to do it.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:10 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is an interesting procedure

Drain the PDK transmission fluid, replace the drain plug if possible (the Factory installed drain plug is plastic).
Replace the PDK transmission pan and all the pan bolts. Note: The PDK transmission oil pan incorporates the filter assembly. All the PDK Transmission oil pan bolts (6.00mm x 25.00mm) are of aluminum construction. It is recommended to always replace aluminum fasteners as a general rule, to never reuse them.
Torque all the aluminum oil pan bolts to 24.0” In-Lb. (24.0 Inch Pounds).
Place masking tape on the seam of the oil pan to the transmission, directly under the fill Plug area to keep oil out of the Crevice/Seam mating area (The masking tape length should be roughly 6” long).
Static fill the PDK transmission with fluid until it runs out of the fill-plug hole, leave the fill plug off for now.
Connect a suitable scan tool and then set it up to monitor the PDK fluid temperature. Attention: Hot oil can scold!
Start and run the engine in “Park”, immediately add fluid if it is not running out of the fill plug hole, carefully maintain this fluid level throughout the whole fill process.
Cycle the shifter through all shift modes of R-N-D at least once, pausing for 1-2 seconds in each mode.
Move the shifter selector into “Park” mode.
Closely monitor the PDK fluid temperature. When the PDK fluid reaches the temperature of 30°C (86°F), you must command the vehicle utilizing a scan tool into the transmission “Fill mode”. The scan tool will not enter the “Fill Mode” until the PDK transmission oil temperature reaches 30°C (86°F), BUT at no higher than 40°C (104°F). PLEASE NOTE; this process must be expediently followed because the “Oil Fill” mode ends sharply after 5 minutes.
Now fill the PDK fluid while the transmission is in the “Fill Mode”. Put the PDK fluid fill plug in and torque it to 26.0’ +/- 2.0 Ft-Lbs. (26.0 Foot Pounds) while the engine is still running.
Remove the previously applied tape and then clean all the residual fluid off of the exterior surfaces.
Turn the engine off.
Reassemble the car as per the Workshop Manual in PIWIS TSI Online.
As a recommendation only, it is best to check the rear wheel alignment on the Mid-Engine Sports Cars due to having the Chassis Strengthening Plate removed for the PDK fluid service.
NOTE: The Porsche factory recommended Service Interval for the PDK transmission fluid is every 60,000 miles. It might be advisable to recommend this service every 40,000 miles for a healthier transmission and also for better shifting characteristics.

NOTE: Consult with PIWIS TSI Online for any additional needed information.

Transmission Pan/Filter Kit PN: 9G1.321.025.00 (This kit includes the drain plug and all the oil pan bolts)

Transmission Fluid PN: 000.043.207.29 (Usually requires roughly 4.5 – 5.5 Liters)
Old 11-30-2016, 08:27 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I've seen a couple of threads recently discussing PDK clutch oil changes. Just for clarity I thought I'd add a new post regarding the costs and labor that have been quoted to me for this.

This is a recommended service at 6 years or 60,000 miles. I've hit the 6 year point so I'm going ahead and getting this done. Note that this is different than the longer term gear fluid change for the PDK which is even more expensive.

Porsche also recommends replacing the filter at the same time. Since the filter is built into the PDK clutch oil plan this requires replacing the entire pan. The fluid change itself requires 6 liters of clutch fluid and 3 hours of labor (!).

Here is a breakdown of the key costs from the dealer before tax.

$434: Pan with integrated filter and gasket (part 9G1.321.025.00)
$226: 6 liters of clutch fluid
$480: 3 hours labor (Your dealer labor rates may vary)
------
$1140

I am saving some money by buying the pan/filter from Gaudin Porsche online for $283 dollars plus $38 shipping (no tax charged). I also forgot to ask for the price with the PCA discount that typically helps reduce costs of some things as much as 15% so there may be some relief there as well.

You can save some sizable labor and parts costs by skipping the pan/filter change. I guess that was the reason for the wide variance in costs I saw in another thread. But personally I decide it was safest to go ahead and get the filter as well, especially since I go out of warranty at the end of the month and want to minimize any risk of a PDK failure.
Had this exact service done at dealer yesterday. costs were similar except labor was $273. Total cost $906 less a 10% mail coupon.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:57 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

During last 6 months i've been trying to agree with (the only one in country) dealership what oils they will use.
At the beginning they were saying that same oils goes to the clutches and the gearbox - which contradicts all we know.
Eventually they got it right and i have the job scheduled with them in 2 weeks from now.
Having 41,000 miles on the clock i will skip the pan/filter - just both oils.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Tagging thread

vetfever
Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Here is an interesting procedure

Drain the PDK transmission fluid, replace the drain plug if possible (the Factory installed drain plug is plastic).
Replace the PDK transmission pan and all the pan bolts. Note: The PDK transmission oil pan incorporates the filter assembly. All the PDK Transmission oil pan bolts (6.00mm x 25.00mm) are of aluminum construction. It is recommended to always replace aluminum fasteners as a general rule, to never reuse them.
Torque all the aluminum oil pan bolts to 24.0” In-Lb. (24.0 Inch Pounds).
Place masking tape on the seam of the oil pan to the transmission, directly under the fill Plug area to keep oil out of the Crevice/Seam mating area (The masking tape length should be roughly 6” long).
Static fill the PDK transmission with fluid until it runs out of the fill-plug hole, leave the fill plug off for now.
Connect a suitable scan tool and then set it up to monitor the PDK fluid temperature. Attention: Hot oil can scold!
Start and run the engine in “Park”, immediately add fluid if it is not running out of the fill plug hole, carefully maintain this fluid level throughout the whole fill process.
Cycle the shifter through all shift modes of R-N-D at least once, pausing for 1-2 seconds in each mode.
Move the shifter selector into “Park” mode.
Closely monitor the PDK fluid temperature. When the PDK fluid reaches the temperature of 30°C (86°F), you must command the vehicle utilizing a scan tool into the transmission “Fill mode”. The scan tool will not enter the “Fill Mode” until the PDK transmission oil temperature reaches 30°C (86°F), BUT at no higher than 40°C (104°F). PLEASE NOTE; this process must be expediently followed because the “Oil Fill” mode ends sharply after 5 minutes.
Now fill the PDK fluid while the transmission is in the “Fill Mode”. Put the PDK fluid fill plug in and torque it to 26.0’ +/- 2.0 Ft-Lbs. (26.0 Foot Pounds) while the engine is still running.
Remove the previously applied tape and then clean all the residual fluid off of the exterior surfaces.
Turn the engine off.
Reassemble the car as per the Workshop Manual in PIWIS TSI Online.
As a recommendation only, it is best to check the rear wheel alignment on the Mid-Engine Sports Cars due to having the Chassis Strengthening Plate removed for the PDK fluid service.
NOTE: The Porsche factory recommended Service Interval for the PDK transmission fluid is every 60,000 miles. It might be advisable to recommend this service every 40,000 miles for a healthier transmission and also for better shifting characteristics.

NOTE: Consult with PIWIS TSI Online for any additional needed information.

Transmission Pan/Filter Kit PN: 9G1.321.025.00 (This kit includes the drain plug and all the oil pan bolts)

Transmission Fluid PN: 000.043.207.29 (Usually requires roughly 4.5 – 5.5 Liters)
My dealer did this.
The whole Maintenance repair bill ran me $2000 plus PCA discount.
I had new Front pads and the rotors resurface - Brake fluid exchange and an oil change / new air filters. Also had track inspection / four wheel alignment done.
Loaner car was a new Cayman S had for like a week while they got all parts in.
They had to order brake pads twice - first set did not pass techs inspection.

so the PDK fluid exchange with pan bolts etc ran me $900 - seems like the fair going rate-
very pleased with my local dealership. Top notch job.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
My dealer did this.
The whole Maintenance repair bill ran me $2000 plus PCA discount.
I had new Front pads and the rotors resurface - Brake fluid exchange and an oil change / new air filters. Also had track inspection / four wheel alignment done.
Loaner car was a new Cayman S had for like a week while they got all parts in.
They had to order brake pads twice - first set did not pass techs inspection.

so the PDK fluid exchange with pan bolts etc ran me $900 - seems like the fair going rate-
very pleased with my local dealership. Top notch job.
I appreciate this post, but the message does not specify which of the two, (or maybe he had both) fluids was changed. He says "transmission" as opposed to "clutch". I have heard the transmission change which is supposed to be done at 12 years is double the price of the clutch fluid change.

Clutch or tranny?? \one can see why this subject is confusing..
Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree, very confusing. But see your maintenance book. 60k miles is clutch oil change, 120k miles is transmission oil change (and clutch oil, too). I just had this done on Thursday, and the repair order calls both of them "transmission oil." My repair order has both listed because the tech did the 120k mile service instead of the 60k mile one. (I only got charged for the 60k mile service.)

BTW, 60k mile service was just at $450. 6 qt clutch fluid at $35/qt plus labor. (Transmission fluid was $63/qt.)

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 03-18-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:34 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by door2416
That's 37.00 bucks a liter for the oil. (unbelievable)
i have a 2013 x3 and was quoted a price of $92 per liter for transmission fluid. Tech recommend skipping this service
Old 03-19-2017, 05:33 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I agree, very confusing. But see your maintenance book. 60k miles is clutch oil change, 120k miles is transmission oil change (and clutch oil, too). I just had this done on Thursday, and the repair order calls both of them "transmission oil." My repair order has both listed because the tech did the 120k mile service instead of the 60k mile one. (I only got charged for the 60k mile service.)

BTW, 60k mile service was just at $450. 6 qt clutch fluid at $35/qt plus labor. (Transmission fluid was $63/qt.)
Joe, would you share via pm or here where you got your services done at?

It's also time to get my brakes replaced along with new rotors on my car.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fremont Porsche, aka Fletcher Jones Porsche. mooty and adias recommended, and, now, me, too.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:42 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Just had my clutch oil changed in my PDK - $31.00 minus 10% PCA discount, total $28.00 per qt. Done at Porsche of Delaware.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

BTW - terms of "clutch" and "transmission" are pretty much misleading in the case of PDK.

Clutches are located in the same big compartment with also contains the transmission gears and control solenoids.

"Transmission" actually contains only the differential and the final drive.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
BTW - terms of "clutch" and "transmission" are pretty much misleading in the case of PDK.
Clutches are located in the same big compartment with also contains the transmission gears and control solenoids.
"Transmission" actually contains only the differential and the final drive.
From the tech info I've seen this is incorrect. Here is a fairly detailed Car and Driver article on the PDK as seen in the 991, which is pretty much the same as the PDK in the 997.2. Looking at the diagrams gives you a sense that the clutches and the control solenoids are in one section and the gears complete with the final drive components are in another. Plus there's this statement:
"While the manual transaxle is lubricated with 3.5 quarts of hypoid-gear oil, the PDK requires two types of lubricant. Gears and shafts run in 3.7 quarts of hypoid-gear oil. Another 5.7 quarts of  hydraulic oil keep the PDK’s wet clutches and control circuit happy."

Also, manual owners may be interested to note that the high degree of shared construction between the PDK and the manuals in the 991... except for the clutches of course.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-pdk-tech-dept

Quick Reply: FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change