Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:49 AM
sadcaper
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what's the consensus on this maintenance item? I'm still torn on doing it for my 09 C4S with 25k miles. Not there mileage wise but due time wise. Can't decide.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by verboten
With all the computer hacking going on in the world, why can't someone hack a Durametric to control the oil fill mode? Better yet, lets contact Durametric or a software vendor to write the code and produce a product - crowdsource it?
Durametric is a hack. I believe the actual authors are Hex, a South African company. Try sending them an email... info@hex.co.za or info@durametric.com the US company.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For a Canadian reference, I just had my PDK clutch fluid changed at Mark Motors Porsche in Ottawa. Their senior technician did the job, same guy that is certified to work on the 918.

They did it without dropping the pan, and managed to not strip the drain plug threads on my very early '09 (summer of '08 build). I supplied them with 7L of FFL-3; surprisingly, they only used 3.25L of it (I found the rest still in the frunk when I got home). I called them and spoke to the tech - he said that this is typical unless the pan is dropped, which they wouldn't usually do unless the drain plug strips the threads. They assured me that this was the Porsche required 6yr/90K kms service using the PIWIS to work the PDK valves.

I was charged 1.5hrs labour plus $22 for a new drain plug.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did my 10 C4S with 34K on the odo.

Just fluid, no pan.

$470 all in.

Tangentially I had been getting trans failure messages on dash. Was due to the ****ty battery I got at Advance Autoparts last year. Replaced that as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:15 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orange260z
For a Canadian reference, I just had my PDK clutch fluid changed at Mark Motors Porsche in Ottawa. Their senior technician did the job, same guy that is certified to work on the 918.

They did it without dropping the pan, and managed to not strip the drain plug threads on my very early '09 (summer of '08 build). I supplied them with 7L of FFL-3; surprisingly, they only used 3.25L of it (I found the rest still in the frunk when I got home). I called them and spoke to the tech - he said that this is typical unless the pan is dropped, which they wouldn't usually do unless the drain plug strips the threads. They assured me that this was the Porsche required 6yr/90K kms service using the PIWIS to work the PDK valves.

I was charged 1.5hrs labour plus $22 for a new drain plug.
3.25L is only 3.4 quarts. Isn't the capacity 5-7 quarts (6L)with use of PIWIS (fill mode)? Also, can the filter be changed without dropping the pan?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:17 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Correct. Anything less than 5 qt is an incomplete drain/fill. See several other posts above on same.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:18 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

3.25L is only 3.4 quarts. Isn't the capacity 5-7 quarts (6L)with use of PIWIS (fill mode)? Also, can the filter be changed without dropping the pan?
The filter is built into the bottom of the pan, so changing the pan is the only way to do that.

There also seems to be a lot of reports about service advisors/techs saying less fluid is needed, but that doesn't agree with the service manual or even the owners manual (see page 290). Since anything significantly less doesn't agree with either the owners manual or the service manual I don't understand how someone could meaningfully argue that significantly less is correct.

My clutch fluid change used over 5 liters; I got back just part of the 6th bottle. That agreed with what the senior Porsche tech told me when I started this whole thread. This also agrees with a post on Renntech that quoted from the service manual. Here's a copy:

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 120K miles or 12 years

PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 60 K miles or 6 years

Oil filling: The correct hydraulic oil level is important for operating the transmission without running into problems. The following preconditions must be met in order to check orcorrect the oil level:• Engine must be idling• Vehicle must be horizontal in both longitudinal and transverse axis• Hydraulic oil temperature between 86° F. and 104° F. (30° C and 40° C)• Selector-lever position “P”• Clutch cooling volume flow must be switched off (using PIWIS Tester in Oil fill mode)• Retain the described states for approx. 1 minute to allow the oil to settle• Open screw plug on oil overflow bore and collect emerging oil until only drops of oil are emerging• Once there is no more oil emerging, top up the clutch fluid until oil emerges atthe oil overflow bore• To avoid damaging the clutches, the procedure must be completed within 5 minutes(PIWIS Tester exits Oil fill mode automatically after 5 minutes)The correct oil level is also important to avoid damaging the gear wheels in thetransmission. There is also an overflow bore for this, which is located on the opposite side. The oil level can be checked in the usual way here.
Of course everyone is free to make their own choices... but I certainly wouldn't consider letting anyone without the proper tools and training take a shortcut on recommended maintenance on my expensive PDK unless someone produced some service bulletins showing otherwise (just that "To avoid damaging the clutches..." part is enough to worry me into doing it right!).

Last edited by StormRune; 10-20-2016 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aways (04-07-2021)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:53 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I called a dealer today. They quoted ~$800 labor only, to do a "PDK Service" with pan change. (I told them I'd bring my own Pan and Oil, the FCP Euro kit).

I tried to specify PDK Clutch Fluid change but I don't think the SA understood what I was telling him.

So, ~5 hours for this service from an over the phone quote.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
I called a dealer today. They quoted ~$800 labor only, to do a "PDK Service" with pan change. (I told them I'd bring my own Pan and Oil, the FCP Euro kit).

I tried to specify PDK Clutch Fluid change but I don't think the SA understood what I was telling him.

So, ~5 hours for this service from an over the phone quote.
It's kind of shameful on Porsche's part that their SAs aren't more knowledge about this since it has become their most common tranny and more of them are coming in for 6 year service. If I were an SA I'd want to be fully conversant with every service item on the car... I'd think Porsche would demand the same of them but it appears that isn't the case (not just for this but for other things as well).

The SA at my dealer when I did this was completely wrong about it (telling me it used normal brake fluid!) until I had him go get their senior tech to come up and correct him... but that was about a year ago now. BTW, At that time, I ended up paying $370 in labor at the dealer.

I'm going to hunt down a corporate contact to let them know how screwy this appears to be based on the forum chatter. I'll let everyone know if this gets any meaningful response.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
It's kind of shameful on Porsche's part that their SAs aren't more knowledge about this since it has become their most common tranny and more of them are coming in for 6 year service. If I were an SA I'd want to be fully conversant with every service item on the car... I'd think Porsche would demand the same of them but it appears that isn't the case (not just for this but for other things as well).

The SA at my dealer when I did this was completely wrong about it (telling me it used normal brake fluid!) until I had him go get their senior tech to come up and correct him... but that was about a year ago now. BTW, At that time, I ended up paying $370 in labor at the dealer.

I'm going to hunt down a corporate contact to let them know how screwy this appears to be based on the forum chatter. I'll let everyone know if this gets any meaningful response.
Storm, I wanted to say thank you for this and for all you have done to contribute your vast knowledge over the years lending to the 997 forum, especially now that you're in a 991 :-) we tremendously appreciate your support and still looking after us despite moving away from the 997.2..
Old 10-20-2016, 05:55 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vg247
Storm, I wanted to say thank you for this and for all you have done to contribute your vast knowledge over the years lending to the 997 forum, especially now that you're in a 991 :-) we tremendously appreciate your support and still looking after us despite moving away from the 997.2..
Thank you! It's very much my pleasure. I'd hate to walk away from all that knowledge and experience... much of it gathered from others on the forum. Let's just keep passing it along. And yeah, I still love the 997.2 and am really glad it ended up in the best hands possible.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:12 PM
verboten
Racer

What procedure has to be done on 5 mins - draining oil with engine on? If the dealer can't change the correct amount of pdk oil how can we trust that the procedure is completed in 5 mins.

Someone has to develop a DIY, it's only a matter of time as pdk cars hit the 6/60 mark.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone has to develop a DIY, it's only a matter of time as pdk cars hit the 6/60 mark.
Forget that and don't look for Duramtric to fill this gap. Hell, until the most recent update Duramtric (I have the Pro) transposed the digits of many of the 997.2 error codes it does recognize. It took a couple hours on the phone with them before they acknowledged it and then a couple months for them to generate the update. It still only identifies a fraction of the error codes that PIWIS does and doesn't provide a tech with the data needed to show how an error in one module can cause faults in one or more other modules. PIWIS does. The process StormRune described above is spot on. If you have a dealer nearby that has experience doing it - use them. The cost is nothing compared to paying for a replacement. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 PM
verboten
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
If someone talked you into a 2 liter PDK clutch fluid change you didn't really get a proper PDK clutch fluid change. They only changed the fluid in the pan, not the two-thirds of the fluid still in the valves, pump, and lines of the system. In other words, you still have nearly 4 liters of old fluid mixed in with 2 liters of new. It's pretty much the same as saying you did a proper engine oil change by draining out and replacing 3 of the 9 quarts of oil, leaving 6 quarts of old oil in the engine. You wouldn't be happy with that would you?
Yes, if I did myself 3X! I finally did the math and a DIY is possible. The poster - Orange260Z said they changed 3.4 Q oil of a total of 5.5 Q or 62% (without a PIWIS Oil Fill Mode). If I drove the car (mixed the oil homogenously) and changed the oil again (same quantities) you would have 14.5% old oil in the transmission. In order to get the oil sufficiently clean (< 5%) you would only have to change the oil 3 times!

Now, what about the cost: $321 for pan w/filter (only change once), $220 for oil (3.4Q X 3 changes @ $20ea.) and labor is free (DIY). The total is $541, which is $400 less than dealer.

Last edited by verboten; 10-21-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:08 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, if I did myself 3X! I finally did the math and a DIY is possible. The poster - Orange260Z said they changed 3.4 Q oil of a total of 5.5 Q or 62% (without a PIWIS Oil Fill Mode). If I drove the car (mixed the oil homogenously) and changed the oil again (same quantities) you would have 14.5% old oil in the transmission. In order to get the oil sufficiently clean (< 5%) you would only have to change the oil 3 times!

Now, what about the cost: $321 for pan w/filter (only change once), $220 for oil (3.4Q X 3 changes @ $20ea.) and labor is free (DIY). The total is $541, which is $400 less than dealer.
Just to be clear, the senior tech at Mark Motors Porsche in Ottawa confirmed to me that what was done to my car was the proper Porsche clutch oil change service recommended for 6 years/ 90,000kms using the PIWIS Oil Fill Mode.. They told me that the only way to get more oil out would have been to remove and replace the pan. They assured me that mine is not the first they have done, and that they know what they are doing.

I can't tell you whether this is true or not, but this is what I was told initially would be done, and this is what was confirmed to be as being done when I called to inquire about the leftover fluid. I didn't really get any higher confidence level speaking with dealers in Montreal (~2hr drive) or even Toronto (~5hr drive). The only real alternative available to me would have been not to change the oil.

Quick Reply: FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change