Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

That exact article causes the confusion - it's hard to argue with pictures of the actual car:

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Full pan replacement or drain plug does the same. Clutch and gearbox (tranny) are shared. The diff is separate.

Perhaps it's different for 991s, but for 987.2 it's the way I said.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
That exact article causes the confusion - it's hard to argue with pictures of the actual car:
Perhaps it's different for 991s, but for 987.2 it's the way I said.
So let me argue In the photo you show, those are the computer-controlled solenoids that control the hydraulic fluid flow that is used to move the gears into their positions. Those are not gears. If you think about it, high load gears couldn't survive direct contact as well in hydraulic fluid. They need gear oil. A completely different thing. Remember that at the gearing level, the PDK is still constructed like a manual transmission and those use gear oil not ATF (hydraulic fluid). Yes the shifting can be automated by the computer, but it is not built or lubricated like a conventional automatic transmission (which typically do use ATF throughout), so I assume that is where the confusion is coming from.

Maybe this image will help clarify which fluid is where in the PDK. This is a Porsche publication.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Fremont Porsche, aka Fletcher Jones Porsche. mooty and adias recommended, and, now, me, too.
Terrific, thanks Joe.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 817 Posts

Easy to get confused here. Fremont Porsche explained it to me as stated in my repost above.

StormRune makes a very valid argument and the Porsche diagram he supplied seals the deal.

I suspect when Gunter told me differential, he actually meant ALL gears.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:00 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I contacted Autel and they confirmed that the Maxisys MS 908 and MS 905 scanners can activate the pdk fill modus.

Based on the description of the special filling process I am not sure if the car must be on the ground or up on the lift when you are checking the fluid level. Can anyone explain?

Regards,

CF
Old 03-24-2017, 12:04 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I just had this service done and watched the whole process.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:20 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
I just had this service done and watched the whole process.
Thats great! Please let me know if the car was off the ground when they did the work steps that involved the Piwis.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:19 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cool flash
I contacted Autel and they confirmed that the Maxisys MS 908 and MS 905 scanners can activate the pdk fill modus.

Based on the description of the special filling process I am not sure if the car must be on the ground or up on the lift when you are checking the fluid level. Can anyone explain?

Regards,

CF
The car has to be off the ground as you need to do the final fill while hooked up to the Tester and the car running

I suppose , if you measured how much you took out from the drain hole you could add that much back in thru the fill hole, thats if the actual volume when full isn't above the fill hole.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Croc999
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
So let me argue In the photo you show, those are the computer-controlled solenoids that control the hydraulic fluid flow that is used to move the gears into their positions. Those are not gears. If you think about it, high load gears couldn't survive direct contact as well in hydraulic fluid. They need gear oil. A completely different thing. Remember that at the gearing level, the PDK is still constructed like a manual transmission and those use gear oil not ATF (hydraulic fluid). Yes the shifting can be automated by the computer, but it is not built or lubricated like a conventional automatic transmission (which typically do use ATF throughout), so I assume that is where the confusion is coming from.

Maybe this image will help clarify which fluid is where in the PDK. This is a Porsche publication.

This diagram is not correct for Boxster.
As said earlier - perhaps for 911 the PDK is different. I would be surprised but diagram suggests so.

For the Boxster the PDK fluid goes into the chamber colored blue - so the only possible conclusion that PDK clutches are located in that chamber.
For the red colored chamber they've put in my care a regular transmission oil, and only 800cc or so of it. No way that PDK clutches are there.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

This diagram is not correct for Boxster.
As said earlier - perhaps for 911 the PDK is different. I would be surprised but diagram suggests so.

For the Boxster the PDK fluid goes into the chamber colored blue - so the only possible conclusion that PDK clutches are located in that chamber.
For the red colored chamber they've put in my care a regular transmission oil, and only 800cc or so of it. No way that PDK clutches are there.
Oh wow, where are you getting your info from???? open up your owners manual and look at the capacities of your car!!!!!!!

Then get back to us. And post a picture of the PDK capacities from your manual!!!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:36 AM
Croc999
Racer

i'm getting this info from the PDK gearbox fluids change that i did few weeks ago. at the official dealer of course.
not theory - actual results.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

i'm getting this info from the PDK gearbox fluids change that i did few weeks ago. at the official dealer of course.
What year vehicle are you talking about?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:49 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

The manual is vague on capacities.

It says ATF clutch total filling capacoty is 5.2L.

Then it says change quantity is 0L. Fill according to filling specifications! (yes it has an exclamation point)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:22 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgjks6
The manual is vague on capacities.

It says ATF clutch total filling capacoty is 5.2L.

Then it says change quantity is 0L. Fill according to filling specifications! (yes it has an exclamation point)
There is an exclamation mark as the only way they want it filled is with a PIWIS In the PDK FILL MODE. So it then depends whether the pan was dropped or not, and how the clutch fluid is drained.....will determine how much will be required.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:05 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Is your "official dealer" a porsche certified dealer? Mine was and I watched the procedure personally, with a porsche certified mechanic. Did you? I am not getting my information from the porsche service advisor who reads off a computer screen all day and most likely has no hands on experience or knows anything about the Pdk at all but what is on his screen . I am talking about a 911 carrera, in the 997 forum , not a boxtser if thats what you are referring to.
And the biggest thing is you apparently are lacking proper knowlege about the PDK or a transmission. Your remarks about where the gears and clutch's are gave me quite the laugh. Do you know what a clutch pack looks like, and what 7 forward and 1 reverse gears might look like? You honestly think porsche and ZF would design 2 totally different PDK's switching the clutch and the gears position around? I think not, and thats being nice.
Yes, this is one of the reasons for so much misinformation.

Think of it like a manual transmission with two computer controlled hydraulic assisted clutches. These solenoid, valves control the hydraulic engagement of the particular clutch plate. One operates the even gears and one the odd. Thus you get almost instant gear changes as 2 is already engaged when your in 1 and just waiting for the appropriate rpm. Not exactly but trying to make it simple. Thus you need / use a transmission gear oil like 75w90 in the gear portion of the transmission like a manual transmission. And a transmission hydraulic oil in the clutch portion.

Quick Reply: FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change