Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Why do I get the feeling the ones who are disagreeing about the 997.2 prices currently owns a 997.2 and therefore bias? Hey I'm not the one dictating the market, I'm merely just an observer.
# 1 - that's exactly what I just wrote in the post above yours. Post purchase rationalization happens across the board - cars, cameras, cellphones, wives... etc. #2 your examples are exceptions to the rule. (salvage, multiple wrecks, high miles) All in all prices seem stable and most people know where to price their cars based on the condition and need to sell. There aren't many amateurs in the 911 market. Most have done their homework and know the wiggle is just a few %.

You want a 997.2 but can't afford 50k? Get a 997.1 for $40k or get a base .1 for 35k or get a 996 for 15- 20k that's had the IMS done, or get an early Boxster for $5k. What ever your budget there's a Porsche for you but don't think that a few posts on Rennlist and elsewhere is going to change the direction or influence the market. I've seen wishful people do this when trading stocks and futures for the last 20 + years. It's comical.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
That's crazy. Assuming that car is sorted and needs nothing, one could drive to a dealership and get that. That is pretty much wholesale right now on that car and I have access to Manheim.
+1 on this
Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by alexisthemovie
There was a lot of great selection last summer in LA with .2 "S" cars in the low 40's range.
If true, that shows how much they have gone up in price. I would have purchased them had I seen them and re sold them. I don’t pay sales tax and get shipping very cheap.

I picked up 2 base 3.6 cars last year, 2010 cab with 50k miles for $42 and a 2011 coupe with 45k for $41k. My wife drove the cab during the summer and through the fall, put 12k miles on it and sold it for $45k in March of this year. I put 3k miles on the coupe (actually my 22 year old daughter did when home from college) and sold it a few weeks ago $45k.

Both of the above were purchased from individuals. I watched auction and wholesale on Mannheim all last year and there were no decent 997.2s and what was on there was bringing dang near retail or well above MMR on the wholesale side.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Meursault88
# 1 - that's exactly what I just wrote in the post above yours. Post purchase rationalization happens across the board - cars, cameras, cellphones, wives... etc. #2 your examples are exceptions to the rule. (salvage, multiple wrecks, high miles) All in all prices seem stable and most people know where to price their cars based on the condition and need to sell. There aren't many amateurs in the 911 market. Most have done their homework and know the wiggle is just a few %.

You want a 997.2 but can't afford 50k? Get a 997.1 for $40k or get a base .1 for 35k or get a 996 for 15- 20k that's had the IMS done, or get an early Boxster for $5k. What ever your budget there's a Porsche for you but don't think that a few posts on Rennlist and elsewhere is going to change the direction or influence the market. I've seen wishful people do this when trading stocks and futures for the last 20 + years. It's comical.
3 months ago you had zero knowledge of the 997 market and were asking a whole lot of questions on here which is awesome and why this forum is here, but 3 months of asking questions does not make one an expert on historical price trends and markets for these cars.

The Porsche market is super strange and does super weird things as seen with the air cooled market over the last few years generally driven by people that know very little or used small snap shots of market knowledge and made ridiculous purchases on the high side or sold at ridiculously low prices during low cyclical times. The 997.2 has the ability to do that primarily due to somewhat low production numbers having the generally preferably pdk and 9A1in a pre-991 platform.

That said, a lot of 997.2s seem to be hitting the market since 991.1 prices have come down.

I would never recommend a new, first time purchaser with a tight or limited budget to purchase a cheap 996 or a old cheap Boxster. That is just asking for heart ache and a rude and potentially bitter introduction to the Porsche brand. Those cheap cars can end up costing more than those with limited budgets can afford.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I love this 2012 GTS aero kit, wish I could pull the trigger on it and perhaps would if it had less than 20k miles and a manual. White, black interior, aero and looks the part.

Certified, 39k miles for $75k.

https://www.suncoastporsche.com/cert...aa83910e25.htm

. . . and a gorgeous looking CPO 997.2 C2S white manual cabriolet for $72k.

https://www.suncoastporsche.com/cert...27d10f7bc5.htm

CPO 997.2 C4S Targa with 21k miles for $84k . . . Gorgeous car, but pricey.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7244/overview/

. . . and if searching for that one-of-a-kind unicorn type 997.2 C4S Targa (cream white, tan with deviating black carpets) . . . $90k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6947/overview/
Old 07-22-2018, 11:00 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

3 months ago you had zero knowledge of the 997 market and were asking a whole lot of questions on here which is awesome and why this forum is here, but 3 months of asking questions does not make one an expert on historical price trends and markets for these cars.

The Porsche market is super strange and does super weird things as seen with the air cooled market over the last few years generally driven by people that know very little or used small snap shots of market knowledge and made ridiculous purchases on the high side or sold at ridiculously low prices during low cyclical times. The 997.2 has the ability to do that primarily due to somewhat low production numbers having the generally preferably pdk and 9A1in a pre-991 platform.

That said, a lot of 997.2s seem to be hitting the market since 991.1 prices have come down.

I would never recommend a new, first time purchaser with a tight or limited budget to purchase a cheap 996 or a old cheap Boxster. That is just asking for heart ache and a rude and potentially bitter introduction to the Porsche brand. Those cheap cars can end up costing more than those with limited budgets can afford.
You misunderstood - that's my way of telling the guy to put up or shut up. He's not going to move the 997.2 market by griping. OTOH - if you get past the styling, a 996 or Boxster with the IMS fix can be a good entry point for a wrencher with a budget.

I ended up buying a very nice 2011 for with 40k miles with all milestones up to date for 42% of original price. My success largely in part of the forum, that I duly thanked at the time.

I do know enough about the market to know that 3 of the cars you just posted are ridiculously high even with the low miles.

The 2012 Targas are at 70% + of list, Same with the 2012 cab. That's some market knowledge you got there.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

You misunderstood - that's my way of telling the guy to put up or shut up. He's not going to move the 997.2 market by griping. OTOH - if you get past the styling, a 996 or Boxster with the IMS fix can be a good entry point for a wrencher with a budget.

I ended up buying a very nice 2011 for with 40k miles with all milestones up to date for 42% of original price. My success largely in part of the forum, that I duly thanked at the time.

I do know enough about the market to know that 3 of the cars you just posted are ridiculously high even with the low miles.

The 2012 Targas are at 70% + of list, Same with the 2012 cab. That's some market knowledge you got there.
I only posted those cars because all 4 are very nice, somewhat difficult to find, 997.2s and have no opinion what the Targa 4S manual with a rare and I think desirable color scheme is worth. Someone out there may pay $90k for that car as that is what they want and there may not be another.

The low mile cabriolet was a manual and a CPO. CPO give warranty worth $$$$, but more importantly means all wear items are basically new and all services are up to date. That car will sell.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

I only posted those cars because all 4 are very nice, somewhat difficult to find, 997.2s and have no opinion what the Targa 4S manual with a rare and I think desirable color scheme is worth. Someone out there may pay $90k for that car as that is what they want and there may not be another.

The low mile cabriolet was a manual and a CPO. CPO give warranty worth $$$$, but more importantly means all wear items are basically new and all services are up to date. That car will sell.
We both know that you wouldn't buy it (as evidenced from your last 2 flips) and I wouldn't buy it. But that doesn't mean there isn't some greater fool that would. There always is. That's a $54-56k* car with 1/3 of a 6 year 60,000 mile platinum warranty. In my book it's overpriced by $15,000.

*I'm not even that sure that manuals are a + in a cab. Different kind of horse IMHO.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

We both know that you wouldn't buy it (as evidenced from your last 2 flips) and I wouldn't buy it. But that doesn't mean there isn't some greater fool that would. There always is. That's a $54-56k* car with 1/3 of a 6 year 60,000 mile platinum warranty. In my book it's overpriced by $15,000.

*I'm not even that sure that manuals are a + in a cab. Different kind of horse IMHO.
I wouldn’t buy it because I have a DB11 and a 991.2 Turbo cab as my daily drivers. When I purchase cars for myself, I don’t purchase the cheapest. Only fools look for and purchase the cheapest in the sports car market. The cheapest cars in these markets usually turn out to be the most expensive in the 12 to 18 month out range.

A lot of the supposed great deals on these 8 to 12 year old Porsches have paint work and damage that doesn’t show up on Car Fax. There is generally a reason they are cheap and if you see auction on your Car Fax and your car is a desireable color with normal or better miles, there very likely is a story, paint work and/or repairs. Most people just cannot see it if it was done well.

Your market opinions is dictated by 3 months of being a 911 guy and time on a forum looking at pictures in listings. It is a little different when you are buying and selling these in the flesh over long periods of time. You then quickly become aware of the difference between 911s selling in low end of market versus those selling in high end of the market. Great cars bring great prices.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

. . . That's a $54-56k* car with 1/3 of a 6 year 60,000 mile platinum warranty. In my book it's overpriced by $15,000. . . .
I just looked at 2012 997.2 cabriolet listing on Cars.com (U.S. National Porsche Preowned was much more $$$).

There were 10 listings for 2012 997.2 S cabriolets (did not include GTSs). The lowest priced 2012 cabriolet was $59,900 with 48k miles (not a CPO car) and the highest priced was $74,900 with 20k miles.

The average price for the 2012 997.2 S cabriolets listed was $69,700.

The car you said was worth $54k to $56k is a CPO 2012 S manual, white with tan interior and only 17k miles . . .

I did nationwide search for Porsche 911 + 2012 + convertible. I tried to cut and paste my search results, but it listed like 5,000 cars and canceled my search fields.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

I love this 2012 GTS aero kit, wish I could pull the trigger on it and perhaps would if it had less than 20k miles and a manual. White, black interior, aero and looks the part.

Certified, 39k miles for $75k.

https://www.suncoastporsche.com/cert...aa83910e25.htm

/
Is that how the 997.2 aero kit wing is? Looks like a GT3 one?
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 07-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
Is that how the 997.2 aero kit wing is? Looks like a GT3 one?
Yeah, I didn’t look that close when I saw mileage and pdk. I would only want factory installed, but this car looks pretty cool.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

I was looking for cars last summer too and if anything prices went up. I still stand by the fact that an average mile 30-40k miles, good condition car (minimal paintwork and few imperfections) base car is going to be mid $40s to low $50s, a nice S or 4S could be mid $50s to mid $60s and GTS or 4GTS is going to be mid $70s. I don't scan autotrader daily anymore like I did when I was looking, but dealers are just not as willing to move on 997's, especially ones that are reasonably clean and up to date on service. I paid a premium for mine due to having all service records from the same dealer and a $113k sticker with tons of options. But if you are willing to get a low option car with an accident, I am sure you can pick up an S then for upper $40s or so.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

I wouldn’t buy it because I have a DB11 and a 991.2 Turbo cab as my daily drivers. When I purchase cars for myself, I don’t purchase the cheapest. Only fools look for and purchase the cheapest in the sports car market. The cheapest cars in these markets usually turn out to be the most expensive in the 12 to 18 month out range.

A lot of the supposed great deals on these 8 to 12 year old Porsches have paint work and damage that doesn’t show up on Car Fax. There is generally a reason they are cheap and if you see auction on your Car Fax and your car is a desireable color with normal or better miles, there very likely is a story, paint work and/or repairs. Most people just cannot see it if it was done well.

Your market opinions is dictated by 3 months of being a 911 guy and time on a forum looking at pictures in listings. It is a little different when you are buying and selling these in the flesh over long periods of time. You then quickly become aware of the difference between 911s selling in low end of market versus those selling in high end of the market. Great cars bring great prices.
I think we talked about this at one point, but how much do you think paintwork not on carfax is going to affect you on dealer trade or even private sale? I just think that with these cars approaching 10 years old (for a 997.2) that is going to be more and more common for something to need to be fixed with the paint. But I may be wrong and there may be plenty of no paintwork cars available. Then the buyer needs to figure out whether they would rather have imperfections or paintwork.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah, I didn’t look that close when I saw mileage and pdk. I would only want factory installed, but this car looks pretty cool.
Agree! Looks like a solid build!

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)