Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rearended - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:47 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

This is what you get when you take your car outside.
While it is an SOB moment, this kind of stuff does happen.
1000 miles a year vs 18000 miles a year, your chances increase.
To me $1600 does sound a little steep. Get a few estimates, and ask her to pay for it. She did hit you.
At the same time I would like to have the word "bumper" removed from the automotive dictionary. You can't bump anything.
It maybe your first patina, it won't be your last.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
Update:

Took the car to a Porsche approved collision shop (using the link provided - thanks!). The woman looked at the damage (in the parking lot) and said that based on her experience the damage is to the bumper (they have to take the liner off and apply heat to reshape the bumper - then apply clearcoat and buff) and there couldn't possibly be any engine damage. btw- the color is Atlas grey not black.

The cost to repair is $1650 and the car will be in the shop for a week.

I'd think her deductible is $500.

Thoughts (now we have this additional data point)?!!
Don't buff it out. Don't disassemble the bumper. Get the car fixed by the experts and put this behind you.

Why drag this out? Get the car in, get it fixed properly, let the other driver's insurance pay for it.

Take before, during, and after pics so when (if) you go to sell the car you can rightly say it was a slight collision and can show this.

Whether the damage is reported to CarFax or not makes no difference. Surely you would let a prospective buyer know of this "damage" regardless.

Not for you to worry about the cost. If someone runs into one of my cars, my Porsches, they pay. If they don't like this they can pick a cheaper car to run into.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrsnbrg
She looks like she has nice legs. Have her take you out for dinner!😀
Bingo!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

You should be able to get diminished value for about whatever the damages are so ask for it. Say there is $1000 in damages, you might be able to get $1000 in diminished value on top.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Like others have said, that's exactly what insurance is for...I would never dream of attempting to fix that ding myself.

In fact, I am dealing with the same thing right now. Had a lady back into my front bumper leaving an 8" horizontal scratch. Had it fixed by her insurance company at a shop I have used before. Took them 8 days.

I picked up the car and drove to my office where I discovered a vertical 3" ding in my rear bumper that was not there before. Took it back to the shop and they are fixing that for free (They took my word for it and admitted it could have happened there, at the vendor that reinstalled the clear film on the bumper or the detailer. Very stand up guys under the circumstances). My car is back in the shop as I write this.

As a result, I have 2 shiny like-new bumpers for Thanksgiving at a cost of $0.

As for CarFax, the front bumper will likely show up, but I have pics and documentation for that. The rear bumper likely won't be reported but that was cosmetic as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For minor minor damage like that I'd recommend getting it done by a professional (should be about $1k) and then getting as close to the full amount as you can from the woman. I would NOT recommend going thru insurance and getting this reported to Carfax. Many buyers will only buy a car with a perfect Carfax, so why limit your buyer's pool over a few hundred bucks? Not worth it IMO.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:01 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

1650 doesn't suprise me at all. Porsche or not. Most of you know what it takes to do this properly. Plus running a biz in the Bay Area (if your legit, no illegal stuff=read cash and labor) is super expensive. I run a service company (glass) and were 125 an hour, and i aint making bank on that alone, trust me
Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

1650 is comical - you're paying someone else's rent and insurance now. I would check with other shops first.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
For minor minor damage like that I'd recommend getting it done by a professional (should be about $1k) and then getting as close to the full amount as you can from the woman. I would NOT recommend going thru insurance and getting this reported to Carfax. Many buyers will only buy a car with a perfect Carfax, so why limit your buyer's pool over a few hundred bucks? Not worth it IMO.
The invoice for the scratch repair on my front bumper was $1320.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:24 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

this just happened to me several weeks ago. what initially looked superficial ended up at over $4k. take the car to a shop you trust; her insurance pays the bill.

Quick Reply: Got rearended - Need advice