Got rearended - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:35 PM
am_ver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delete

delete

Last edited by am_ver; 11-27-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Probably the damage is to the bumper cover, but you need to have the cover removed and the hardware underneath inspected.

My advice is to always let a qualified repair shop, the dealer or a Porsche Approved Collision Center, deal with evaluating the car and putting it right.

I never turn these claims over to my insurance company. I make the other driver's insurance company pay. You have more leverage in getting your car put right this way.

Minor accident with good pics should go a long way to mitigate the fact an accident shows up on the car's report.

I wouldn't sweat it. Focus on getting the car properly repaired, and put back to its pre-collosion condition as best a humanly possible and document everything with pics and save all receipts/estimates/etc for when (if) you go to sell the car you can show the accident was truly minor and yet you still had the car properly repaired.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Go out in the morning and make sure there's no fluids leaking. Are you close to a dealer? If calm and ask if you can swing by for an inspection, assuming there's no leaking fluid and you give it a look over. It doesn't appear to be a bad incident so I'm sure you're going to get off easy.

Why are you're exhaust tips so far extended past the bumper?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Are you serious? That's not even considered a fender bender. I would just buff it good and see how it comes out. I wouldn't tell the insurance and just fix it yourself if you must. If that was my car I would just leave it alone. Good luck!!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Is that a 997.1? Sorry for the accident, hopefully it's nothing more than cosmetic.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Is that a 997.1? Sorry for the accident, hopefully it's nothing more than cosmetic.
Shape of the tail lights would indicate it's a 997.1.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, bummer. I am no expert, however, it does not look too bad. Maybe take it by a body shop (Porsche approved). If they say no issues. Maybe go to a good detailer and have it cleaned up. It looks like the exhaust tips are out further than normal?
Good luck,

B
Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear of this. This URL will tell you the nearest Porsche approved collision centers.
https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...che/index.html
T
Old 11-21-2015, 12:22 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 95 Posts

Take your 911 to the nearest porsche collision center (thanks tomc_mets for the link) and get an estimate. If under $1,000 I would write my own check to avoid dealing with her insurance company.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Had a scratch on my rear bumper similar to this from a dingus with one of those big metal carts at Home Depot. $350 out the door for a respray and buff from one of the best shops in Chicago. Though I did remove the bumper myself.

Get an estimate and send it to her via certified mail. Odds are its under her deductible anyway and she'll have to pay or (kindly) drop a reminder she will be take to small claims and clearly lose there if she doesn't pay within 7 days notice of receiving the estimate.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

You'd be surprised what such a small hit can damage. If you are mechanically inclined, remove the bumper and look around, its pretty easy.

If the damage is limited to the bumper, I'd just pay it myself because a carfax hit will reduce your buyer pool and resale value.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:18 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take pictures along the way of whichever repair you do, because if it goes to a CARFAX, with the errors that that reporting system often seems to make, it may be entered as massive frame damage. Like others above, take it to a shop you trust for an evaluation of what is best, and go from there. Try to keep it out of any records.

sorry about it, and the sooner your car is pristine, the sooner you will get over it.

All the best...
Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

You need a cost estimate before deciding what to do. It's all about managing your loses at this point (out of pocket now or later).

A quick fix for less than say $200 should be a cash transaction avoiding insurance and the claim affecting resale. Be prepared to eat this cost if you have problems collecting. Over $1000 should be her insurance, not yours, along with diminished value because of resale issues. In between is tough to say, depends upon how much you want to possibly pay yourself either now or upon resale.

If it's only a scratch it can be buffed out from a good detailer. But the photo looks like the poly bumper has a ding in it, much deeper than a scratch. If it's dented then repair costs could be as low as a few hundred dollars if the body shop can heat it and "PDR" it (it's poly so the process is different). Deeper dents or cracked paint on poly will need filler/sanding/respray or bumper replacement along with paint respray, more than $200 and could go over $1000 depending upon the fix. Fortunately your car is black so the paint match should be perfect (black is the easiest to blend to neighboring panels).

If you do go with insurance, you were hit and it's not your fault, go through her insurance. It will not affect your rates. Take photos and keep receipts to help with resale. Be sure to demand deminished value on top of the repair costs to offset the hit you will take on resale. Your car was perfect before this happened, it's a collector car, stick to that. If you make the mistake of going through your own insurance and letting them follow up with hers, you will likely get screwed (90% / 10% fault distribution and you are stuck paying 10%, even if you were rear ended, seen this happen too many times).

I'd want my car returned to perfect condition for something someone else caused.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:42 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Get an estimate and send it to her via certified mail. Odds are its under her deductible anyway and she'll have to pay or (kindly) drop a reminder she will be take to small claims and clearly lose there if she doesn't pay within 7 days notice of receiving the estimate.
Her deductible doesn't matter when fixing his car. Her deductible only matters if there was damage to her car and she wants her own property fixed. Her insurance rates might go up because of hitting someone else, but there is no out of pocket costs for her today to fix his car if insurance is involved.

Get an estimate first and decide what you want to do. If you choose to avoid insurance, I'd be nice, explain to her why, and gauge her reactions on the cost you expect her to pay in cash. Chances are she will agree especially if the costs are reasonable and perceived to be less than what her increased insurance premiums would be. Certified mail is probably overkill and should be reserved for pressure for payment after agreeing to work outside insurance and only if you have trouble collecting.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:34 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 356 Posts

I was in a similar situation a few years ago in my Cayman, except they backed into me. I was concerned about the hit to carfax, but the Porsche approved shop that did the repair stated they would not report it to carfax. The other guys insurance (State Farm) paid the repair claim and also a diminished value claim.

I checked the carfax many, many months later to verify the fender bender was never reported.. I got a new bumper, hood, and front right fender.
When I sold the car the new buyer had no idea the repair had been done until I disclosed that fact.

Quick Reply: Got rearended - Need advice