Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rearended - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have it checked out. I know this is an extreme example but you never know. From the 991 board: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/760365-so-you-think-it-s-just-a-bumper-job-huh.html
Old 11-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Had a scratch on my rear bumper similar to this from a dingus with one of those big metal carts at Home Depot. $350 out the door for a respray and buff from one of the best shops in Chicago. Though I did remove the bumper myself.

Get an estimate and send it to her via certified mail. Odds are its under her deductible anyway and she'll have to pay or (kindly) drop a reminder she will be take to small claims and clearly lose there if she doesn't pay within 7 days notice of receiving the estimate.
Yup that's how I would handle it.

OP - it's so minor looking i'll bet you could get it perfect again for 500 or less. For that tiny damage I would work to keep it off the Carfax records/insurance.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any other pics...from the waist up? Maybe ya'll can trade...she was hitting on you.
Roll with it but don't let it go.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:05 PM
am_ver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delete

Last edited by am_ver; 11-27-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

$1650 and a week to repair this?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:30 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same happened to my 993. Two perfect punctures from the license plate frame of the car that rolled into me from behind. Fill, sand, respray to match, or new bumper cover and spray to color match. Sorry for your aggravation. The repair will take longer than you think. Los Angeles has some good shops for Porsche paint and body work.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:22 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Are you serious? That's not even considered a fender bender. I would just buff it good and see how it comes out. I wouldn't tell the insurance and just fix it yourself if you must. If that was my car I would just leave it alone. Good luck!!
Don't listen to him, unless you don't care about the condition of your car.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:40 PM
am_ver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
If you don't absolutely have to have it fixed, offer to take $900 in cash. Then let a PDR guy look at it
The bumper is plastic. PDR only works on metal. I need to get this fixed - otherwise, it will bug me for the rest of the duration that I own this car.

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Don't listen to him, unless you don't care about the condition of your car.
Exactly FBFisher - I wouldn't care if this happened to my A6; but the 997 has to be in perfect condition. I spend hours and hours detailing her to make sure absolutely no blemishes are visible. btw - I am in the SF bay area (NorCal)

At this point, it looks like I'll be going down the insurance route. How do I ensure the damage is not reported to carfax - will her insurance report it? Will it be body shop that'll report it?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Jerrsnbrg
Advanced

She looks like she has nice legs. Have her take you out for dinner!😀
Old 11-22-2015, 09:38 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
Update:

Took the car to a Porsche approved collision shop (using the link provided - thanks!). The woman looked at the damage (in the parking lot) and said that based on her experience the damage is to the bumper (they have to take the liner off and apply heat to reshape the bumper - then apply clearcoat and buff) and there couldn't possibly be any engine damage. btw- the color is Atlas grey not black.

The cost to repair is $1650 and the car will be in the shop for a week.

I'd think her deductible is $500.

Thoughts (now we have this additional data point)?!!
I would ask for some additional body shop recommendations in your area. Set up a new thread or search button.

$1650 seems silly high to me to repair and paint a bumper. Get some other quotes from Porsche experienced shops. Fortunately, you are repairing a bumper from what appears to be a low impact tap. Most higher end shops can do with their eyes closed. Call the local Porsche PCA club president and ask for recommendations. And the bill should be less than $750.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:41 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The bumper is plastic. PDR only works on metal. I need to get this fixed - otherwise, it will bug me for the rest of the duration that I own this car.

Exactly FBFisher - I wouldn't care if this happened to my A6; but the 997 has to be in perfect condition. I spend hours and hours detailing her to make sure absolutely no blemishes are visible. btw - I am in the SF bay area (NorCal)

At this point, it looks like I'll be going down the insurance route. How do I ensure the damage is not reported to carfax - will her insurance report it? Will it be body shop that'll report it?
Carfax is not a reliable source to conclude the car's actual history. Your photos and receipts will provide sufficient explanation for even the most particular purchaser. Just have the work done by a shop that is highly respected by the Porsche community.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Any other pics...from the waist up? Maybe ya'll can trade...she was hitting on you.
Roll with it but don't let it go.
I'm thinking if she was anything special from the waist up they'd be in the picture we have!

Tom
Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Update:

Took the car to a Porsche approved collision shop (using the link provided - thanks!). The woman looked at the damage (in the parking lot) and said that based on her experience the damage is to the bumper (they have to take the liner off and apply heat to reshape the bumper - then apply clearcoat and buff) and there couldn't possibly be any engine damage. btw- the color is Atlas grey not black.

Ridiculous price to fix that little ding. I had much worse damage than that on my -06 C4S rear bumper fixed perfectly for less than half that. Get more quotes. Of course....disregard if you go the insurance route.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 95 Posts

Update:

At this point I would follow this route:

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I would ask for some additional body shop recommendations in your area. Set up a new thread or search button.

$1650 seems silly high to me to repair and paint a bumper. Get some other quotes from Porsche experienced shops. Fortunately, you are repairing a bumper from what appears to be a low impact tap. Most higher end shops can do with their eyes closed. Call the local Porsche PCA club president and ask for recommendations. And the bill should be less than $750.

I was told its very easy to remove the rear bumper. You may remove it yourself and keep your car at home.

If you open a claim with your or her insurance company they will report it. Body shop don't (as far as I know) report accidents/damages to carfax.

Quick Reply: Got rearended - Need advice