997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would you add for 1 k$, 3k$, ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015 | 09:18 PM
cringely
Racer

Default what would you add for 1 k$, 3k$, ?

I am finally back into the Porsche fold (after a 996.2 IMS failure). I should have my 2009 Carrera paid off by February. With luck, I might have a few k$ left over to invest in the 997. I'm not an autocross person, just enjoy daily driving. I may have some money to add or do something to improve my driving experience.

Any suggestions/recommendations on how to spend (see CARDEX list below), 1 k$, 3 k$ or if I'm fortunate even 5 k$?

Thanks, Cringely
2009 Carrera; 41,000 miles, 23 months left on CPO
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors; 342 - Heated Seats; 369 - Standard Seats; 414 - Standard Carrera IV Wheel; 480 - Manual transmission; 619 - Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone; 640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus; 680 - BOSE High End Sound Package; 686 - XM Radio; 693 - 6-Disc CD/DVD Changer; 810 - Floor Mats in Interior Color

Last edited by cringely; 10-30-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2015 | 10:07 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Do you want asthetics or performance mods?
Old 10-30-2015 | 10:31 PM
cringely
Racer

I'm open to either. One thought is a Fister exhaust.
Old 10-30-2015 | 10:51 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

agency power muffler-xpipe exhaust, BMC air filter, EVOMSit ECU
Old 10-30-2015 | 11:57 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Your in Cali so most performance mods won't pass smog OBDII or visual test.
Old 10-31-2015 | 12:06 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Light weight wheels would be my recommendation. Fikse or equivalent. The llghter the better but be sure you can repair them as you can the Fikses. The best wheels help handling, braking and acceleration in a way you can feel in the driving of the car. No emissions issues.
Old 10-31-2015 | 12:34 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by cringely
I'm not an autocross person, just enjoy daily driving. I may have some money to add or do something to improve my driving experience.
Honestly, I can think of nothing better than investing in getting some quality instruction in basic driving skills. I am not talking about track driving. That is the last thing you need. (And I mean that not in the sense of do this last after everything else, but in the sense of you do not need it at all!) And I'm not talking autocross- not because you're not into it but because the focus there is competition not education.

Which is what I am talking about. Down in So Cal you should be able to find a PCA or BMWCCA course called Driver Skills. Not Driver Ed, which is on a track. Driver Skills looks similar to autocross with cones, but is completely different. Driver Skills breaks driving down into braking, cornering, controlling weight transfer, the line, where to look, and so on, typically with one short course designed to teach and practice just that one aspect of driving.

This advice is not based on take your medicine its good for you. This is based on years of instructing autocross, Driver Ed (track) and… Driver Skills. Specifically, its based on feedback I have gotten from students. A large number, probably the majority, came out just like you, just wanting to enjoy and maybe improve their daily driving experience. What they found- what everyone finds- is there's a whole lot more here than they ever dreamed.

It really is one of those rare things, where you open your eyes and the world never looks quite the same again. Seriously, no better way for a guy with a 911 to spend his money. Nothing else even comes close.
Old 10-31-2015 | 09:04 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Everyone's taste is different, but first and only thing I would do to that beautiful car if it were mine (and I wish it were!) is put a set of the original factory silver wheels back on it. I just don't get the latest fad of black wheels, they remind me of how cars used to look after someone stole the hubcaps. Just like that dull gray paint that's also a fad, makes a car look like it's still in primer and probably been in a wreck. I'm just an old fart.
Old 10-31-2015 | 10:11 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

If you enjoy daily driving, and you're not an autocrosser, I'm guessing anything aggressive isn't needed or wanted.

Based on your sig info and where you live, plus the above comment, get some tinted windows.

Old 10-31-2015 | 12:40 PM
Linnm
Pro

Take out the OEM sound system and get something that is halfway decent

Last edited by Linnm; 10-31-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2015 | 03:02 PM
cringely
Racer

DC911S: Good point about the California Air Resources Board (the smog police) and anything that would cause the car to fail the annual smog inspection.
The other thing I failed to mention is that I'd like to avoid any mod that would void the CPO warranty.

Chuck, I'm a PCA member and will definitely sign up for the next Driver's Ed program.

The only thing that bothers me is the tire noise. Right now, it's shod with new Michelin Pilot Sport 235/35-19 and 305/30/19's on Victor Zehn 19" rims (8's & 11's). My previous experience with Michelins was on my 911SC and they seemed noisier than Dunlop's or Kumho's. Being cheap, I most likely won't change until the tires need replacing. At that point (unless my wife really complains about the ride quality (of 19"ers) and noise), I may go back to 18" rims.

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-31-2015 | 04:02 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

CD changer option is retro.

Personally I would go for something exhaust related.
Old 10-31-2015 | 04:44 PM
mpath
Racer

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Everyone's taste is different, but first and only thing I would do to that beautiful car if it were mine (and I wish it were!) is put a set of the original factory silver wheels back on it. I just don't get the latest fad of black wheels, they remind me of how cars used to look after someone stole the hubcaps. Just like that dull gray paint that's also a fad, makes a car look like it's still in primer and probably been in a wreck. I'm just an old fart.
"And any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black" H. Ford
Old 10-31-2015 | 08:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by cringely
DC911S: Good point about the California Air Resources Board (the smog police) and anything that would cause the car to fail the annual smog inspection.
The other thing I failed to mention is that I'd like to avoid any mod that would void the CPO warranty.

Chuck, I'm a PCA member and will definitely sign up for the next Driver's Ed program.

The only thing that bothers me is the tire noise. Right now, it's shod with new Michelin Pilot Sport 235/35-19 and 305/30/19's on Victor Zehn 19" rims (8's & 11's). My previous experience with Michelins was on my 911SC and they seemed noisier than Dunlop's or Kumho's. Being cheap, I most likely won't change until the tires need replacing. At that point (unless my wife really complains about the ride quality (of 19"ers) and noise), I may go back to 18" rims.

Any other suggestions?
You may want to read my comments again. Unless there is some reason you really want to drive on a track, you will get a lot more useful knowledge and experience (and with a LOT less wear on your car/brakes/tires doing Driver Skills instead of Driver Ed. Not that there's anything wrong with DE, its just a whole different thing. And if you DO want to try DE, you'll get a lot more out of it having done DS first.

Quick Reply: what would you add for 1 k$, 3k$, ?