Ms Gone, On the Hunt - 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default M3s Gone, On the Hunt - 997.2

All
Alas, ending a long and storied chapter in my car life as I just sold both of my BMW M3s. I must admit that I was a bit sad when my 2006 ILB ZCP M3 pulled off and left my sight forever, having owned some iteration of the vaunted 3 series for over 25 years.

Anyway, onto a happier and more exciting topic--i.e. my hunt for the perfect 2009-2010 blue (maybe white?) 997.2 C2S with under 30,000 miles. I've been scouring Rennlist, Autotrader, Porsche dealerships etc for such a whip in the 55 to 60 price zone. Am I in the ballpark for such an example?

Last edited by 140.6er; 11-02-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, that range is reasonable.
Having owned an M3 before, I can understand the sentiment, but fret not, the 911 will fix your current lack of "zoom".

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a natural progression, most of us came from M3's. Those prices seems reasonable. Stick with your blue, avoid black, white, grey, and silver. Way too common. Happy hunting, that is part of the fun.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:11 PM
140.6er
Pro

Just saw a red one. Looked really nice but I do love that blue metallic.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:18 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
avoid black
...says the guy with the beautiful black car

Look, you will find a TON of complaints here about how COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE IT IS TO KEEP A BLACK CAR CLEAN AND OH MY GOD I CAN SEE A SPECK OF DUST NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't listen to all that. Black cars ARE a total pain to keep *utterly spotless* -- but if that is your main worry, you are not buying a car for the right reasons. If you like black, don't be afraid of it.

Check out the Black Carrera Thread on here. Some lovely examples... But surely I'm biased ;-)

Last edited by jsalah; 10-27-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:30 PM
140.6er
Pro

I have no problem with black, they are really nice.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:11 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

It's always a bit sad to close a great chapter - glad you've been able to enjoy BMWs for so many years. 911s are really great cars, and we obviously enjoy them - welcome!

I would add cargurus to your list of website sources if it's not in there already - and I assume you're searching cars.com. Personally, I had a lot of preferences but only a few hard requirements. I liked to search nationally and a bit outside of my ranges (price, mileage, options) just to make sure I had a good sense of the market. I'm glad I did - I was looking for the right low mileage 997.1 C2S priced in the low 40's, but I ended up buying a 997.2 C2 GTS with 45k miles instead. I haven't had it for long, and so far it's been great!

You'll get one you're very happy with - it's just a matter of how quickly. The more time you're willing to spend, the more deals you'll be able to assess. Some of us aren't too finicky or prefer to spend a bit more money to shorten the hunt, and others are happy to spend half a year searching to pull the trigger on the perfect find. Most recommend you get a preferred color and the major options you want along with a good history and PPI.

Price is easy to get hung up on. If you flip cars frequently and are on a budget, the quality of the deal should be important. If you expect to keep the car for a long time and have some strong preferences, getting the right car should be more important than paying 5-10% over or under the average market price.

Besides leaning towards white, do you know what are you looking for? MT or PDK, any must-have or nice-to-have options?

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jsalah
...says the guy with the beautiful black car

Look, you will find a TON of complaints here about how COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE IT IS TO KEEP A BLACK CAR CLEAN AND OH MY GOD I CAN SEE A SPECK OF DUST NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't listen to all that. Black cars ARE a total pain to keep *utterly spotless* -- but if that is your main worry, you are not buying a car for the right reasons. If you like black, don't be afraid of it.

Check out the Black Carrera Thread on here. Some lovely examples... But surely I'm biased ;-)
I found out throughout the years, I'm a clean freak, a bit OCD. I prefer to drive my cars more than cleaning them. I love to stare at it right after a wash. It just sparkles but then the next day, it's cover with dust, just drives me crazy. My Aqua blue Boxster stays looking clean for a long time. Also in the last couple of years, I've develop a taste for uncommon colors like Riveria/Mexico blue, carmine red, etc, basically anything other than the four common colors.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:15 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I came across a recent thread that was ******* on the Blues saying dealers didnt want them and/or couldn't re-sell them based on color My 1st car was silver and when I heard the saying "Silver cars go faster" I thought I would always want a silver car, now, these days, bleeeech, they are evveerryywhere so now im into blues, greens and maroons and I have noticed a bit of a price cut for those colors. (so hard for a good apples to apples though)
Very Very doable for ~$55-60.
Im looking at a lot of 2009+ as well and if you could stomach one with 40K miles or a bit more they seem to be about $15K less than a ~30K mile car. Close to $40K and you can still get a CPO one.
Where are you? Im also seeing more northern cars priced well. I think those places are letting them go before the real winter sets in.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 PM
140.6er
Pro

Thanks for replys. I'm on Long Island in New York. I really like the blue metallic and ruby red. I am hoping to stay with this car for a while and drive it a lot. I really got away from just driving and enjoying the car when I bought my 06 ZCP. I let it sit as I was afraid to get any marks on it and it was a waste.
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about these cars. I really enjoy wrenching as a sort of hobby. Did all the work on my Ms. Is the 997.2 the type of car that lends itself to DIY? Have always wanted one and now have fundage.
I really like the 6mt c2s.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to post you a link to one at Manhattan Motorcars I was using as a general reference point. They had a beautiful Porsche Racing Green '09 Coupe with ~50Kmiles for $42K including CPO but it is no longer there and I just looked at it last night, and the night before and so on for about a week
Dither and lose I guess.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha. I saw the title to this thread and thought you threw out the wife (Ms misses gone) to get a 997! You were almost as cool as the guy I know who dumped a hot chick because she didn't like Iron Maiden.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
Ha. I saw the title to this thread and thought you threw out the wife (Ms misses gone) to get a 997! You were almost as cool as the guy I know who dumped a hot chick because she didn't like Iron Maiden.
My brother dump a hot chick he was dating when she was sitting with the boys chatting instead of helping the girls cook at a bbq. I asked him one day what happened. He said, "Can't stay with a lazy girl who doesn't serve his man food." lol.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:19 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Name:  IMG_2870_zpsa3e5e4d0.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  102.0 KB

Get white!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:38 AM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with your search. I got my DBM 2011 C2S cab with under 20k miles last month for $66k. No CPO but had PDK, PASM, Sport Chrono, PCM 3.0 Nav, ventilated seats, pretty much all the options I wanted so it was a fair price if not killer deal. Your price range is certainly reasonable, especially with winter setting in.

Quick Reply: Ms Gone, On the Hunt - 997.2